Volunteers wanted

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Volunteers wanted

Postby rdearman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:51 pm

tommus wrote:
Serpent wrote:I was referring to all three. Even if they provide some great materials, they still tend to believe in the traditional teaching.

If we believe in promoting language learning, maybe part of our vision should be "educate" these kinds of institutions that use traditional teaching.

The fact is that we do have such discussions. Do you think they would be happy with that? How often do we tell people not to get a language degree?

I doubt if these large/huge institutions have any opinion at all on our methods and opinions. But they do have an interest in language learning.

In another post, there are concerns about us being over-regulated if we were able to use these institutions to host our forum. Again, I doubt if they care at that level of detail. And if they want to regulate us, then we would not proceed with that option.

My interest was in suggesting some options that might relieve the legal and financial challenges, especially for our moderators, and in suggesting a vision we might wish to consider.

(Again, only speaking for myself, not for moderators)

Firstly any and all suggestions are welcome! I believe the cost of hosting probably is the lower priority of the challenges we want to overcome. I think the primary concern of all of us is the community isn't reliant on a single individual in order to survive. Second that we build an infrastructure both technical and organisational which allows the community to expand, grow, and provide resources for people who want to learn languages.

I think we have a good start, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:48 am

zenmonkey wrote:
James29 wrote:Don't forget we are talking about a language learning forum! International libel lawsuits? Non-profit incorporation? Group fundraising? Ownership by committee? Concerns of co-mingling funds? Piercing the corporate veil? Everyone here has good intentions, but you are making this WAY too complicated to the extent that you are trying to find answers to problems that simply don't exist. Keep it simple.

James, as much as I like the idea of keeping it simple - running a site for an extended period of time means assuring continuity in managing that site. It seems to me (and I am not part of the admin or mod team) that they are doing exactly that - looking at the lightest solution that does not create significant overhead, allows donations and keeps the likelihood of someone disappearing with the keys to the place less likely.

Yes, let me be clear: This stuff may sound really complex, but I'm an entrepreneur, and everything I've mentioned so far is pretty much "US Corporations and Bookkeeping 101." The only reason that I even explained it publicly is because people were curious, and I'm happy to answer questions. But if you don't want to know the details, then just don't ask. :-)

The basic principle is that we don't want any single person to own the site, because what happens if the owner loses interest? So this time, we're trying to spread the responsibility around to ensure organizational continuity, and to provide ordinary and customary legal protections. There's a couple of ways to do this, we're going to pick one, after listening to advice from people who've done this before.
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Hello Everyone! One of our volunteers, Evita has written a very good FAQ for our static pages. If you'd all like to have a look and give it a review? Please post any errors you spot to me in a PM, since errors were likely introduced by me while copy and pasting.

http://language-learners.org/how-to-learn-a-foreign-language-faq/

Also if you have other suggestions for pages or content please let me know but only if you're willing to write the content! If you're volunteering me to write it you'll be out of luck! :lol:
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:28 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm bumping this thread in order to gather more volunteers. Rhian has given me the list of names and articles for people who've previously volunteered, but I'm now looking for more. This would include guest blog posts as well as fixed static content. If you have an idea for something you think should be kept on the main static site, and would be a good draw for new users and new language learners, please PM me with your suggestions.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:26 pm

While I would be up to contributing some static material (I think adding information about constructed languages would be fun), I'm confused about how the static material would be used. It looks like there is an associated Wiki page, so would we be adding to that, or would the main website have its own static info?
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Xenops wrote:While I would be up to contributing some static material (I think adding information about constructed languages would be fun), I'm confused about how the static material would be used. It looks like there is an associated Wiki page, so would we be adding to that, or would the main website have its own static info?

I'm talking about static information on the main website.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

George
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1747

Postby George » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:03 am

I'm happy to volunteer any technical support that you might need (assuming I am capable!).

I have a full web design and hosting business

http://www.tweedsolutions.com

1 x
: 1 / 90 Learn Spanish with Paul Noble for Beginners – Part 1: 1/3

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:05 pm

George wrote:I'm happy to volunteer any technical support that you might need (assuming I am capable!).
I have a full web design and hosting business
http://www.tweedsolutions.com

Excellent. Thanks!

Also if anyone is interested in doing a "Guest Blog Post", I'm looking for someone who'd be wiling to write on these topics.
  1. Why Everyone Should Learn A Second Language
  2. Popular Methods of Vocabulary Acquisition
  3. Language Profiles: English, French, Spanish, Mandarin, Italian, etc. (Basically synopsis of the language, where it is used, etc)
  4. Popular Methods of Grammar Acquisition in a 2nd Language

Or any other topic you might want to explore. As far as length goes it would obviously depend on the subject matter. Substance is the most basic consideration. If you can say it in 500 words, then you may want to do so. If it requires 2,000+ words, that’s fine too. Since it is a web based system, if you could provide links to any reference material, or resources that would be great.

BTW, these guest posts don't have to be in English.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:52 pm

I'd be willing to write some guests posts on languages. In fact, I already do that (almost) weekly for /r/languagelearning, so I could just give y'all that one, or perhaps even expand upon it.

Here is last week's and a link of all the rest are there too. But, just to say, a lot of it came from Wikipedia.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:23 pm

If be willing to write, I'd only need proofreading. Have to think of a topic though.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”