I don't have favourites but if I did... Joking of course. TOTW

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Bluepaint
Brown Belt

I don't have favourites but if I did... Joking of course. TOTW

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:50 am

Morning from a Burmese train (oh my poor bum!)

After chatting with the mod-admin team, I've decided to go ahead with a fun idea. It's just a trial, if it becomes too much work or if people dislike it then I'll discontinue it.

Sometimes I come across a thread that I wish I'd noticed sooner or makes me laugh or sticks in my mind so I'm going to start doing Thread(s) of the Week.

This means what?

I'll select a thread or two and mark them as Global for a week so they will appear as forum-wide announcements do. After that they go back to being a normal or sticky thread on their original board. It's being limited to one or two because I don't want to clutter the forum, especially if we have to make other announcements at the same time.

Why do I pick them?

Pretty much because I had the idea and I don't want to generate more work for the other volunteers. If I wait for a consensus from the mods on every choice then it'll take a while to select them (we're Very Important People irl, clearly) and the project will lack consistency when it comes to posting weekly. The reasons for not asking members to vote are the same with the added reasons of 1. the whole thing will grow arms and legs and I've got languages waiting to be butchered, and 2. it might turn into a popularity competition.

What's the criteria?

It tickles my fancy. Or I think it might tickle your fancy. Basically, fancy-tickling potential.

More specifically, the thread is;

Useful
Interesting
Thought-provoking
Funny
Fun
Not getting many replies
Awesome
and the right to alter this criteria is absolutely reserved ;)

Who gets what for a TOTW?

Nobody gets anything. You don't become authoritative on a subject (heck, you could be proved totally wrong but I'll still leave it as TOTW if it's cool), you don't get any clout or to throw your weight around or have your reports dealt with any faster. You're subject to the same rules and code of conduct as everyone else and you can still be warned/banned/have your thread locked.

In short, there are no cookies, stickers or kitten-based hugs.

Can I give feedback or make nominations?

Sure. If you nominate your own thread though I will laugh.

Where can I refer to this post?

It's long-term home is in Forum Rules & FAQ. Not been there before? You really should visit. Really should visit.

Note that TOTW does not mean I nor any of the mod-admin team endorse the views of the OP or anyone else in the thread.
7 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Re: I don't have favourites but if I did... Joking of course. TOTW

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:35 am

Thread temporarily moved to LLOrg & HTLAL discussion area to give opportunity for replies. When moved to Forum Rules & FAQ it will lock.
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Personally, I don't like the change much. It takes up valuable space at the top of the screen, and I always just ignore that space anyway because it's just announcements.
4 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:22 pm

golyplot wrote:Personally, I don't like the change much. It takes up valuable space at the top of the screen, and I always just ignore that space anyway because it's just announcements.

The first part I'll happily consider but as for ignoring the space "because it's just announcements", that is plain rude. Yes, not every announcement directly impacts you and not all of them are hugely important but they can be and we have taken the time to write them because there is something we want to communicate widely. Not to mention when things are ignored we end up with more work because someone hasn't noticed a change in policy, for example, and so they do the old thing or do what they like and then we get reports and have to reply to reports and remedy the issue. All of which could be avoided if people deigned to read "just announcements".
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Maybe it would make sense to have some way to only see announcements that you haven't read yet?
3 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:59 pm

I don't know how such things are created but you could put the idea forward in the Technical Area
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:04 pm

This is a stupid question but where do the announcements go? When I come onto the forum, I always go straight to unread posts.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Cenwalh
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1), Catalan (B2).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12467

Postby Cenwalh » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:25 pm

Bluepaint wrote:
golyplot wrote:Personally, I don't like the change much. It takes up valuable space at the top of the screen, and I always just ignore that space anyway because it's just announcements.

The first part I'll happily consider but as for ignoring the space "because it's just announcements", that is plain rude. Yes, not every announcement directly impacts you and not all of them are hugely important but they can be and we have taken the time to write them because there is something we want to communicate widely. Not to mention when things are ignored we end up with more work because someone hasn't noticed a change in policy, for example, and so they do the old thing or do what they like and then we get reports and have to reply to reports and remedy the issue. All of which could be avoided if people deigned to read "just announcements".

Can you honestly say that you've read every change in the terms that a company has sent you by email? When you open an app and it presents you with a change log after updating, do you diligently read it every time? Maybe you do, but for the rest of us, we don't read every announcement on the services that we use.

Having said that, as far as I know I have read every stickied announcement I've seen, but that's because they grab me with the headline and appear exciting. It's more a credit to your title creation than it is me avoiding being rude.

[emphasis on the quote mine]
1 x
Double SC films: 200 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)
Double SC books: 34 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:23 am

1. That's a poor analogy, they're really quite different things so I still say it's rude to turn around and say, effectively, "I don't bother."

2. Let's get back to the original topic please.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:21 am

MamaPata wrote:This is a stupid question but where do the announcements go? When I come onto the forum, I always go straight to unread posts.

I only see them if I click on a sub-forum, for example, “Language Logs”. Then I see all the announcements at the top. But I usually just click on “Active Topics” and then they show up among the other threads if they are active, but they aren’t in a special place at the top.
2 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”