Plans for the future

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
getreallanguage
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (n), English (nn), Italian (int.), Dutch (beg.), Catalan, Swedish, Paraguayan Guarani
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=760

Re: Plans for the future

Postby getreallanguage » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:32 pm

As far as static content, I'd like to volunteer to write a primer on Spanish language varieties. I could start on it once September rolls around.
4 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:39 pm

getreallanguage wrote:As far as static content, I'd like to volunteer to write a primer on Spanish language varieties. I could start on it once September rolls around.

Cool, you can PM me about it for now.
0 x

pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Postby pir » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:50 am

This sounds all very sensible, and while I am sorry for y'all that things with FX didn't work out, I for one am glad this site is sticking around (because I can't sign up for the old one). As for financial support, in my experience of running boards, if you're offering something of value to the membership (and you do), they will donate; in fact there will be people wanting to contribute before you ever put up a donation button. I don't imagine advertising will be necessary. I also hope no "pro" model will emerge -- if the membership rises to the point where either becomes a consideration, I would imagine we'd all be kicking around various options first. I'd certainly be willing to chip in, and am more likely to do so more or less regularly in small amounts rather than an annual chunk. It's not that I am a commitment phobe ... ok, yes, I am a commitment phobe.

The rules strike me as pretty reasonable, and so far it seems to me they're applied even-handedly here. The latter matters a lot. Which is why I am also glad you're going to create a transparent conflict resolution process. Because it will come up; it always does, somebody will get hot under the collar, and things will go pear-shaped.

I especially like that you're aware how dangerous for the smooth functioning of the forum -- and how exhausting for the person responsible -- a single point of failure is. Even with the best intentions, sometimes life gets the better of people. It's good to spread the responsibility and the know-how out over several folks. It sounds like you have it well in hand. Yay, new mods, welcome!
9 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:21 am

I would be happy to donate when that's set up, and I think a lot of people feel that way. I don't think having a pro-membership is the way to go, or if you want to make something special to distinguish contributors, then it should be purely symbolic, not some important function. I don't suppose we're going for the Star Trek theme, but if we were, contributors could simply have a higher "rank" listed on their profiles. (Of course only Rdearman could be captain.)

As far as permanent content goes, I like the idea of language profiles with information about the language and also about how to learn it. I think ideally, the profiles would have both natives and successful learners of the language contributing, but I realize that we are short on natives for many languages. Maybe that will improve if we manage to set the forum up to be more multilingual.
1 x

redtomcat
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2+), French (B2), German (B1) Italian(B1/2)
MS Arabic and Russian (all very old so forgot a lot).
Interested in Maghrebi Arabic, Polish
Japanese is my current study lead.

Postby redtomcat » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:07 pm

I'm so glad someone has taken the bull by the horns and finally made the step from the original HTLAL forum. I did offer to fund a modernisation programme but seems to have fallen on deaf ears - or a spam folder.

I'd just like to make public my gratitude to FX and the other members of the original HTLAL forum of course for the help, support, advice, corrections, hints and tips: between them they got me to a CEFR B2-C1 Spanish.
4 x
##used to be maydayayday## :o

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:19 pm

redtomcat wrote:I'm so glad someone has taken the bull by the horns and finally made the step from the original HTLAL forum. I did offer to fund a modernisation programme but seems to have fallen on deaf ears - or a spam folder.

If there's anything you want to help out with here it'll be very much appreciated!
0 x

redtomcat
White Belt

Postby redtomcat » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:24 pm

Is there a specific thread to post suggestions or read the suggestions from other members?
0 x

redtomcat
White Belt

Postby redtomcat » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Rhian wrote:
redtomcat wrote:I'm so glad someone has taken the bull by the horns and finally made the step from the original HTLAL forum. I did offer to fund a modernisation programme but seems to have fallen on deaf ears - or a spam folder.

If there's anything you want to help out with here it'll be very much appreciated!

I'll PM you.
0 x

hp230
White Belt
Languages: -Arabic (N); French (C2), English(C1), German(B2)
Learning: Spanish(B1), Italian(A2), Russian (A2), Chinese-mandarin (A1), Turkish:Basics
Danish: Aborted

Postby hp230 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:30 pm

Has anyone consider the situation in case FX ever reappeared and responded. First of all, is that possible? and if it is, what if he had convincing reasons for his absence? What if he is ready to make the necessary changes? I know many of you are still posting and visiting HTLAL.com, and aren't willing to leave it (me among them). So what would be the situation then?
I know all of these questions are just " what ifs", and that the move is done, but I think we should take that scenario into consideration.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:08 pm

hp230 wrote:Has anyone consider the situation in case FX ever reappeared and responded. First of all, is that possible? and if it is, what if he had convincing reasons for his absence? What if he is ready to make the necessary changes? I know many of you are still posting and visiting HTLAL.com, and aren't willing to leave it (me among them). So what would be the situation then?
I know all of these questions are just " what ifs", and that the move is done, but I think we should take that scenario into consideration.

Well just speaking personally, and only for myself. We tried to join with him to create something better, but now the situation has reversed. If he wants to join with us as we move forward, he'd be welcome I'm sure.
10 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”