Presenting a paper on HTLAL

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Jiwon
Orange Belt
Languages: Korean (native)
English (secondary native)
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

passable: Mandarin, Japanese

Presenting a paper on HTLAL

Postby Jiwon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:12 pm

I am not sure how many of you remember this, but two and a half years ago, I asked the forum's permission for me to write up my bachelor's dissertation on LLORG's migration from HTLAL.
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4984

Thanks to everyone's support, I was able to successfully submit the paper, which was accepted by the graduation committee. Currently, I am in my third semester of my Master's program in Sociology (after dropping out of the law school of course), and I am continuing my studies in migration, globalization and intercultural interactions.

Recently, I found out that the Korea International Migration Studies Association was looking for graduate students to present their papers in their Summer Conference. Not thinking much about it, I asked my professor whether he thought my BA dissertation was good enough for the conference. His response was positive, and I was scheduled to make the presentation last Friday.

But looking back at my original request for your permission, I discovered that I had written, "The paper will not be published anywhere, and will only be submitted as a bachelor's degree requirement." It really hurt that I went against my own words with you guys, so I did the only right thing to do at the moment. I sent a PM to rdearman, our wonderful administrator who holds responsibility for all copyrights-related issues of the forum, and explained to him what happened. I told him that if he was uncomfortable with me making this presentation, I would ask for organizers' understanding and leave out all the details about our community.

rdearman very gratefully sent me a quick reply, telling me that he has no problems with me publishing the results.

At the conference, I was a little bit nervous as I was not sure how other people would take my paper. The Korea International Migration Studies Association mostly publishes papers on migrations on the physical plane, usually ones that have heavy policy-implications, such as "A Survey of Working Conditions of Migrant Workers in Rural Korea" or "The Political Economy of Construction of US-Mexican Wall". And mind you, I was making a presentation in front of the most famous scholars of migration in the country - those whose names I had only seen in books and papers.

During the post-presentation discussion, I was surprised to find out that many of them thought my research was very unique and important. The assigned discussant said, "I have never found a paper as interesting as this one in the past few months." She told me that it really challenged her notion of what "migration studies" should be. Another professor praised my paper, and told me this was an excellent example of forced migration. He even went as far as saying, "This is the story of people who had to leave the Earth to go to Mars." These were just two of many supportive comments and praises I got that afternoon. They were also very impressed with our community, and called it a real-life case of a transnational community, trying to overcome physical and cultural barriers.

I am very thankful to rdearman and everyone on this forum. I will be forever indebted to the community for allowing me to write the paper in the first place. I am really grateful that I was given this opportunity to present a language learning community to distinguished scholars of migration studies.

I still have an end-of-semester paper to submit. But once that is out of the way, I will make an English translation of the presentation and/or the paper, so I can share my ideas and thoughts about the community with you guys.

Thank you! Thank you! And Thank you!
Last edited by Jiwon on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
53 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

Jiwon
Orange Belt
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

The English Abstract of the Paper

Postby Jiwon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Moving Across Cyberspace: Migration Experience of an Online Community

Jiwon Yun (Seoul National University)

This research aims to widen our understanding of online communities, and to explore possibilities of applying migration discourses onto cyberspace, by tracking how an online community interacts with spatial elements via migration. The community studied is a language learning community that has been active since 2004. In the summer of 2015, the community decided to migrate to a new web site, in order to escape perils imposed by absence of the executive administrator, frequent technical instabilities and the impending expiry of the domain. By examining the posts by the community's members, various discourses on the community's nature and migration were analyzed.

The results show three ways in which an online community interacts with spatial factors. Firstly, the context of physical space, in which the members and the server are located, restrict interaction among the members. Secondly, there is the context of cyberspace which is represented by the specific forum with the specific domain. This cyberspace interacts with the community and transforms itself into a social space that fosters identities. Lastly, an online community acquires a unique sense of space through the existence of members who share its distinctive culture and direction, and this sense of place affects the choice of destination for community migration.

Key Words: Cyberspace, Community, Online Migration, Sense of Place
27 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

Jiwon
Orange Belt
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

Re: Presenting a paper on HTLAL

Postby Jiwon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:19 am

Thank you for all of your supportive likes.

정말로 감사합니다.
2 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

Jiwon
Orange Belt
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

A Very Late Follow-Up

Postby Jiwon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:28 pm

So, I am very sorry for this VERY VERY late follow up with my paper.

A few things have happened to me recently. These need to be mentioned before I share the paper with you guys.

1. Last winter, I was applying for Sociology PhD programs in the US. For the process, I had to submit samples of my best academic writing. With very little hesitation, I chose the paper I wrote about the language forums as one of my samples. (The other sample was my ethnographic study of an international choir in Seoul, but that's another long story!) I submitted all my applications, kept my fingers crossed during January.

February came, and I got a series of rejections. When more than half of the institutions rejected my application, I just could not take it anymore. I went down south to Gwangju so that I could clear my head and stay positive. I went to visit the bamboo forest, had great southern Korean food, and went to sleep for 11 hours. When I woke up that morning, on the second day of the two day trip, I had yet another email from another university. Thinking that it would be another rejection, I got up and started brushing my teeth, checking the email with my left hand. "Dear Jiwon, please login to your Status Portal to view an update to your application status." So I logged in, and VOILA! I got my first (and the only) acceptance to a PhD program! With full funding! Tuition fee, stipend, healthcare and all.

I never had the opportunity to ask them what they thought of this paper, but it must have had a positive effect on my application, otherwise I would not have been accepted. So thank you all. Thank you for being the great community of language you guys were and still are. Of course, with the recent surge in Coronavirus cases in the US, and the US embassies no longer issuing visas, there is a chance I may not be able to make it for the September admission. However, the Director of Graduate Studies at my department confirmed me that I would be able to defer the entry to January, if I am unable to come in September because of the visa or the virus.

2. After discussing with my advisor, we decided that this paper was too good to go to waste. Yes, the migration from HTLAL took place quite a few years ago now, so it would not be prudent to wait more years, or else the data would be too outdated. Therefore, we are considering publishing the paper in a journal here in Korea. A likely candidate is Information Society and Media (정보사회와 미디어) published by the Korean Association for Information Society (한국정보사회학회), but my professor has promised to look for the most suitable journal for my paper.

3. So now, I share with you all, a draft of this paper that I've written. It isn't the final version to be published, as there will be editions made according to the reviewers' demands. But this is the version I sent to the universities and got me a funded spot in a PhD program. Now, I remember that some of you explicitly told me not to substitute your names with letters or pseudonyms, but I had no option but to do that in order to comply with research ethics regulations at the university.

I hope you all enjoy reading it, as much as I did writing it. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O8n-FntJOInpSWHKg-zaun5NngmCGz3D?usp=sharing

PS. So what am I doing nowadays?
1. I am frantically trying to finish the first draft of my thesis by the end of April.
2. I am trying to advance my Hindi to the next level, beyond the Lower-Intermediate stage. I would love to conduct my PhD fieldwork in Rajasthan, India, so that would be something I will work very intensively on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
19 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:46 pm

Congratulations! If you had more then one positive answer, you would surely have a lot of thinking about which one to choose. It just made your life simpler ;)
4 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:59 pm

Pure nostalgia for those of us who participated in the events.
1 x

Jiwon
Orange Belt
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

Postby Jiwon » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:57 pm

cjareck wrote:Congratulations! If you had more then one positive answer, you would surely have a lot of thinking about which one to choose. It just made your life simpler ;)

Thank you! In fact, this was the university that I wanted ti go the most, because I thought my research interests fit the faculty members' interests the best. They also provide a lot of support for international research, so yes, this was my dream institution. Very excited to be there in a few months or more. :D
3 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

Jiwon
Orange Belt
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

Postby Jiwon » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Iversen wrote:Pure nostalgia for those of us who participated in the events.

Iversen, I know you were one of those that did not want a pseudonym. I hope you are not mad at me for quoting you as one of Members A, B and C.

I also hope you enjoy reading my paper. Any feedback from an oldtimer like you would be extremely valuable for me.
0 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:58 pm

I recognized at least one of my remarks in your paper, though it was marked with some other name, not A, B or C.

I think the paper describes the shift quite precisely. Personally I continued to write in both forums for some time, then I stopped writing in HTLAL, and during the last long period I just checked in to accept new members and check for offensive material (though nothing occurred during that period - actually very little occurred during that time). And finally I decided that enough was enough and stopped visiting. I have a set of Word-files with my first multiconfused thread and the more substantial among my other writings, but the simple fact is that I haven't checked even those files for at least a year. The umbilical chord back to HTLAL has been severed.
0 x

Jiwon
Orange Belt
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

Postby Jiwon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:28 am

Iversen wrote:I recognized at least one of my remarks in your paper, though it was marked with some other name, not A, B or C.

Yes, I was using that just as an example of how some researchers like to depersonalize their research participants. :)
0 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”