Presenting a paper on HTLAL

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: Presenting a paper on HTLAL

Postby David1917 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:48 am

I look forward to reading this. I was mostly a lurker on HTLAL and go through phases of posting on here (usually coinciding with semesters - I barely have time to study languages let alone post about studying!)

Can I ask what University you are hoping to attend, and if you can begin some of your coursework online this fall?
2 x

Jiwon
Orange Belt
Languages: Korean (native)
English (secondary native)
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

passable: Mandarin, Japanese

Postby Jiwon » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:42 pm

David1917 wrote:I look forward to reading this. I was mostly a lurker on HTLAL and go through phases of posting on here (usually coinciding with semesters - I barely have time to study languages let alone post about studying!)

Can I ask what University you are hoping to attend, and if you can begin some of your coursework online this fall?

I didn't want to name the university because I didn't want to sound like I was bragging or anything.

I will be starting the PhD Program in Sociology at Yale University. The US Embassy in Korea just resumed the visa services, but I am not sure it is prudent for me to go to the US right now, since I now have the option of deferring or enrolling remotely with online courses - more so because there will be very little, if any, in-person teaching or interactions. So I am still not sure, and will wait to discuss with my professors, what the best option would would be for me.
12 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:42 am

That sounds great. I wouldn't worry about "bragging" - this isn't an underachievers forum, so congratulations. I'm sure your profs and the Yale admin will err on the side of caution and suggest that you do some courses remotely and try to come in person in January, but who knows. Hopefully it all works out!
1 x

Jiwon
Orange Belt
Languages: Korean (native)
English (secondary native)
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

passable: Mandarin, Japanese

Postby Jiwon » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:10 pm

David1917 wrote:That sounds great. I wouldn't worry about "bragging" - this isn't an underachievers forum, so congratulations. I'm sure your profs and the Yale admin will err on the side of caution and suggest that you do some courses remotely and try to come in person in January, but who knows. Hopefully it all works out!

Thanks for your congratulations. I am very happy and excited about the next few years of my life - new school, new continent and new people.
I just got a reply from the department regarding my options. While they say we can enroll remotely, they "strongly encourage" us to come to the US to be on campus. I don't know what good it will serve me, but I'll just bring dozens of South Korean masks with me.
5 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Postby druckfehler » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:35 pm

Congratulations, Jiwon! I enjoyed reading your paper!
1 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”