A new forum name?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Re: A new forum name?

Postby astromule » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:00 am

Cavesa wrote:Language Learning Fanatics

I think that's an explosive idea.
0 x

SladeWilson
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (starting over), Esperanto (beginner - abandoned) Biblical Greek (beginner - on hold or abandoned)

Postby SladeWilson » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:19 am

Support Languages

Language Learning Support
0 x
COURSE LOAD
New French with Ease - Assimil: 0 / 113
I previously completed 30 from 113 of Assimi's New French with Ease lessons.
I will start the lessons over since I abandoned them long ago.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:57 am

Cavesa wrote:Perhaps the mods should come with a date until which we can post new ideas. On that day, everything could be put into a poll, every member given two or three votes (please, let us vote for more than one, so that we can find a better compromise), and we could have a new forum name chosen in a few days or weeks.

Unfortunately, it's somewhat risky to pick a domain name using a public process that stretches out across multiple days. Historically, there has been a nasty little thing called domain front running, where if you search for a domain and you don't buy it reasonably quickly, certain domain registrars might buy it and hold it for ransom. Also, most of the good, short names are already taken. So if you're looking for a short, high-quality name, and if you actually find one that's still available, it's a good idea to buy it immediately.

Thus, if we were going to hold a poll, we'd probably need to actually find and buy all the candidate names in advance, and that would add up annoyingly quickly. :-(

So, speaking entirely hypothetically, because we haven't heard back from the admin yet, and there's still a little time before the deadline…

If it turns out that we do need to pick a domain name, then, yes, we have been reading all of your amazing suggestions! We have been looking at the WHOIS databases to see which names are available. If this happens, we might have to begin by presenting you with a single possible name for financial reasons, and seeing whether everybody says, "Cool!" or "Oh, yuck! That's awful."
7 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:42 pm

In the spirit of "how to learn ANY language, how about:

Learn Our World's Languages (LOWL). Pretty good acronym.

And we could emphasize the whole world with a image header such as this one, which is a Wikipedia Creative Commons image. It will be much too big here but it could be reduced and be a very distinctive header background. Politically-neutral. Represents our entire community. Eye-catching.

6 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:16 pm

Cavesa wrote:-Language challenge accepted (himym fans surely understand, no idea about others, reflects one of the central parts of forum activity)

This is my favorite so far. It made me laugh out loud, it's geeky and meme-y and fun, yet its literal meaning is also useful/relevant for folks who aren't in on the joke.

Cavesa wrote:-The LanguageGate (like a stargate to a ton of different langauge worlds, probably makes people think more of a language product than community, I don't know)

Unfortunately, -Gate now makes me think of scandals.
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

AllenN

Postby AllenN » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:42 am

I know we have migrated to this new domain. Just to extend a belated offer. What do you think of the name... "LinguistHub.com"...? If our forum members here like it I can donate it to the cause. :?:
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:52 am

AllenN wrote:I know we have migrated to this new domain. Just to extend a belated offer. What do you think of the name... "LinguistHub.com"...? If our forum members here like it I can donate it to the cause. :?:

I don't think that many of us here are linguists so it doesn't really suit the community... Would be a great name for a more linguistics-oriented forum though.
1 x

Bylan
White Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Korean (~C1)
Portuguese (~B2)
Spanish (~A2 best in reading)
French (new language since Sept '15)

Postby Bylan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:46 pm

How about "My Tailor Is Rich - How To Learn Languages" or "My Tailor Is Rich - Autodidactic Language Learning" in homage to that first Assimil book? Kind of an inside reference, but curious visitors might be introduced a new material they previously did not know about, which is always a good thing. I certainly did not know about Assimil before I found HTLAL. And whether you're a fan of Assimil or not, being aware that other material exist outside of the more well-marketed programs really opens up the possibilities.

Or spin it with "My Polyglot Is Rich - How To Learn Languages". :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Bylan wrote:How about "My Tailor Is Rich - How To Learn Languages"

That inspires me to suggest:

"The Fluent Barber", with apologies to "The Wealthy Barber". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wealthy_Barber
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

sjintje
Orange Belt
Languages: Native English
Functional but fading French
Intermediate but erratic German
Reads Dutch headlines
Dabbling in Spanish and Japanese

Postby sjintje » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 am

Sorry, I don't really know where we are with this, but just to mention, as well as hyphens, apostrophes are annoying to type. "The language learning forum" would avoid the need.

Although, just to spice up the discussion, "The language learners forum" doesn't necessarily need an apostrophe.
0 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”