A new forum name?

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
Polyclod
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish, French, German (Intermediate)
Learning: Russian
Hit List: Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1181

Re: A new forum name?

Postby Polyclod » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Spoonary wrote:My question is: should we avoid the word 'polyglot' in the new title?

Yeah I think so. While most people *may* be familiar with terms like *polyglot*, we probably don't want to give off the idea this place is *only* for polyglots, but rather for everybody who may be interested in learning languages. That way we will automatically attract both polyglots *and* casual language learners.

Also IMHO the YouTube "polyglots" have sort of twisted the word to the point where "polyglottery" has become a kind of 21st century sideshow. I liked the fact that the old HTLAL had a separate discussion section for polyglottery. I seriously doubt we'll ever be able to get Professor Argüelles to come back (and honestly I doubt he has anything to add that wasn't already said on the old forum), but there are plenty of forum members here who have a lot of experience and fresh perspectives to offer.
7 x
Bücher:

Star Trek The Next Generation Tod im Winter: 82 / 348

Русский

Assimil Russian: 30 / 100

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:10 pm

I'd like to comment on some thoughts here:

Iversen - I realize that some people have already grown attached to this forum and maybe it would be easier to keep it than create a new one. However, if there is no word from the HTLAL admin and we must start anew somewhere else then I'd prefer that this new place would be with its own identity from the start, not an extension/backup to HTLAL. We can keep this forum as a place to experiment with new features or something like that.

emk - of course a solution that makes everybody really happy would be preferable, but it's very unlikely so I think we need to start discussing the new name. All the other forum features can wait, but a name is extremely important and should be chosen as soon as possible.

Cavesa - You are right about Languages & People being generic, but I don't think that would make us unfindable on Google. Since language learning in general is a difficult and long activity, I wanted to keep the name simple and straightforward so that it wouldn't frighten potential learners away.

Out of your ideas, I think a metaphor would also work well if we could come up with a good one but so far I haven't.

Ogrim - One of the main things on which Google bases a site's ranking is how many other sites link back to it. If we have good language profiles and good content in the forums then that will take care by itself. I don't think we need to worry about Google too much at this point. Like you said, Benny's site is one of the top results even though its name doesn't contain either "language" or "learning".

Spoonary - Yes, I think we should avoid the word "polyglot". Most of the members won't be polyglots.
3 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:58 pm

tommus wrote:"Read Write Listen Speak"

I guess "Read Right" would be too misleading!

It's a kindergarten's name

-------------------------

"We love Languages? "
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:34 pm

Cavesa wrote:However, I don't find that much need to necessarily cut away htlal by going to yet another forum, if that's what you mean.

Changing the URL wouldn't require starting afresh/registering again :)
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Postby astromule » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:29 pm

These are my proposals:

-The Extraordinary League of Language Learners.
-Fluent in 5 minutes.
-The Polyglot Nightmare.
-Lingholics in Recovery or Anki Addicts Anonymous (AAA).

Or why not a tablet, cellphone friendly name, such as "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz [dot] org"?
The word has ceaced to exist (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ti....html), but we could keep it here, as a way to honour its memory.
11 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:59 pm

astromule wrote:These are my proposals:

-Fluent in 5 minutes.
-The Polyglot Nightmare.

Or why not a tablet, cellphone friendly name, such as "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz [dot] org"?
The word has ceaced to exist (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ti....html), but we could keep it here, as a way to honour its memory.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: I love your proposals they are hilarious 8-)

Especially - Fluent in 5 minutes and Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz [dot] org"
haha but I would add "Gesellschaft" at the end of this, therefore:

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetzgesellschaft [dot] org"
2 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Actually Extraordinary League of Language Learners sounds awesome :-)
8 x

vm_nm
White Belt
Languages: DE (N)
Current focus: JP (reviewing N4), ES (working on C1)
Others: EN (C2/CPE), FR (passive intermediate), CZ (pre-intermediate?) plus long-neglected ones I have no idea how to rate.

Postby vm_nm » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:40 pm

I was going to suggest "How to learn a language", e.g. howtolearnalanguage.org and htlal.org (so that HTLAL as acronym would continue to work), but "Fluent in 5 minutes" is hilarious. My vote goes to that one. :lol:
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:05 pm

astromule wrote:These are my proposals:

-Fluent in 5 minutes.
-The Polyglot Nightmare.

Or, we could go the other way on that second one and call it 'Fluent eventually'

Also, any ideas about Babel-related names? I'm not very creative so I'll leave the clever puns to you guys... Babelon maybe?
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:51 pm

Fluent eventually or howtolearnalanguage are fine.

However, I'm afraid Fluent in 5 minutes would lead to a lot of disappointment from the naive "learners" and to disbelief and lack of interest from any normal language learner looking for serious information. Really, it looks like an add for a really bad product :-D

I'm really afraid the "babel" theme has been overused too much already. Oh, I actually got an idea: The Babel Babble :-D Or has that beenalready used somewhere as well? I can't be the first one to have ever thought of such a nonsense. Or even worse: The Babel Babble Bubble. Perhaps we should return to that Rindfleisch... idea. :-D
6 x

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”