Language chunks to ease language activation

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Re: Language chunks to ease language activation

Postby lusan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:03 pm

rdearman wrote:Here are some I've used previously. (Probably covered in the links)
actually
admittedly that is true, but
after all
Why did you choose to learn the language?

This is a very nice list. Thanks. Now I will have to convert it to Polish.
1 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Some of the questions rdearman shared just there reminded me of Moses McCormick's FLR method which (as far as I'm aware, as someone who occasionally watches his videos) consists in learning set questions (and their respective answers) which native speakers are likely to ask you when you speak to them for the first time. I know these are not exactly language chunks but...

Forgive me if this doesn't have much to do with language chunks either, but this discussion also reminded me of something I have noticed myself doing throughout the process of learning Spanish. By listening to songs repeatedly (over time; not necessarily in succession), I have strengthened my understanding of grammatical points. I sometimes use lines of my favourite songs (which would be the language chunks) as a basis for my production of the language. When I want to recall a certain way of phrasing something, I remember the song and then superimpose the necessary vocabulary onto it.

I'm not sure if I explained that very well... :?
Last edited by Spoonary on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:27 pm

There's a page about conversational connectors that I came across a few years ago and bookmarked:

https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearni ... cy_native/

The comments have examples in various languages, although there are a few mistakes!
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:37 pm

Spoonary wrote:Some of the questions rdearman shared just there reminded me of Moses McCormick's FLR method which (as far as I'm aware, as someone who occasionally watches his videos) consists in learning set questions (and their respective answers) which native speakers are likely to ask you if you speak to them for the first time. I know these are not exactly language chunks but...

Forgive me if this doesn't have much to do with language chunks either, but this discussion also reminded me of something I have noticed myself doing throughout the process of learning Spanish. By listening to songs repeatedly (over time; not necessarily in succession), I have strengthened my understanding of grammatical points. I sometimes use lines of my favourite songs (which would be the language chunks) as a basis for my production of the language. When I want to recall a certain way of phrasing something, I remember the song and then superimpose the necessary vocabulary onto it.

I'm not sure if I explained that very well... :?

Yes I got a lot of the questions from a post Moses did on the old forum before he started selling his methods.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:50 pm

HTLAL member Splog lists 100 English-Czech connectors on his web site:

100 Connectors.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:58 pm

At one time there was a pretty good multilingual list of connectors that someone had shared through google drive.

I stopped referring to it some time ago, though, because it was world-editable and people kept deleting languages they weren't studying or interested in.

R.
==
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Taking their cue from a video HTLAL member Splog did about connectors (I think that was the genesis), some enterprising members of LingQ created a spreadsheet about connectors that covered several languages. No longer a paying customer of LingQ, I have lost the reference to that spreadsheet.

Perhaps if a current paid-up member of LingQ reads this, they can find the LingQ link (couldn't resist) and post it here?

If not, I downloaded an early form of that spreadsheet. I could dissect it out into separate languages and post it here.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:22 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Taking their cue from a video HTLAL member Splog did about connectors (I think that was the genesis), some enterprising members of LingQ created a spreadsheet about connectors that covered several languages. No longer a paying customer of LingQ, I have lost the reference to that spreadsheet.

Perhaps if a current paid-up member of LingQ reads this, they can find the LingQ link (couldn't resist) and post it here?

If not, I downloaded an early form of that spreadsheet. I could dissect it out into separate languages and post it here.

I think it's the same document I referred to in my post. I no longer have the link to it neither. It was a good list when it wasn't being hacked up by people unfamiliar with the concept of group editing.

R.
==
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:54 pm

This thread?
Conversational connectors

The initial post points to this link which is a seemingly empty spreadsheet, but there are entries if you check the revision history.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:08 pm

garyb wrote:There's a page about conversational connectors that I came across a few years ago and bookmarked:

https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearni ... cy_native/

The comments have examples in various languages, although there are a few mistakes!

My apologies to GaryB, because that link already mentions Splog's list of Czech connectors and gives a number of equivalencies for several languages.

And thanks to rdearman for bringing this to the fore again.

MrHenry is no doubt correct to say that he and I were referring to the same link of connectors. I have discovered my copy in an old backup. Rather than post it here, let anyone who wants it PM me with a valid but "safe" email address and I will send you my copy of the spreadsheet (or can we attach things to PMs?). Here are the particulars about the file I have:

1. This file dates from on or before 13 June 2013.
2. English occupies the first column and contains 448 rows of connectors.
3. The other languages are French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Polish (but this column is empty), Portuguese, Russian, Scottish Gaelic, Spanish, Swedish (but this column is empty, too), Turkish and Yiddish.
4. Of the other languages, only Spanish has an equivalent for all 448 English connectors, though some come very close.
5. At the time this copy was made, not every non-English translation was entered by a native speaker. But I think most of them were.
6. There is no guarantee that any translated connector is idiomatic or even correct.
7. If memory serves, every non-English language is tied to the English column, but I suppose someone not familiar with English could make do if their language was included in the spreadsheet.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”