Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Elenia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for the tip Ani! Arthaey - I think I may have watched it before, but I'm not sure? It's the time swap one, right?
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Elenia wrote:Arthaey - I think I may have watched it before, but I'm not sure? It's the time swap one, right?

Yup! The premise is a modern fan of Austen ends up sucked into the alternate reality of the books, while Elizabeth Bennet ends up in modern London. Hilarity ensues when the modern woman tries to put the story to rights even with Elizabeth missing, but of course she changes everything she interacts with. ^^
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:17 am

Maybe we should start a Jane Austen book club. We pick a book and everyone reads it in whatever language they want. I have a few e-books in various languages already downloaded and ready to go.
6 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Maybe we should start a Jane Austen book club. We pick a book and everyone reads it in whatever language they want. I have a few e-books in various languages already downloaded and ready to go.

Stolz und Vorurteil has been waiting patiently on my shelf for the longest time! Maybe I can challenge myself (pfft) and read alongside it in Swedish and English...?*

*Not really. I have no time. But a quick speedread beforehand, certainly!!

---

Has anyone tried using Duolingo bots? What are your thoughts?
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks to the forum being down I actually got some work done. Thanks for breaking my lazy streak, hackers.

Only joking, it wasn't that much. But I did download LWT practically painlessly and have read my way through approximately two fifths of a chapter of Kaninhjärta, that interminable beast. I'm dealing with the issue of having to individually mark all known words by not dealing with it at all. I read through a chapter, looking up and marking the words I don't know or want to be reminded of, and then use the 'I know all' function for the rest. Problem solved! Probably...

Otherwise, I've been using Clozemaster for all my languages (if you count base languges) and played around with Duolingo's weird bot thing for a while in German. Finally, I listed to the first six tracks of Assimil painful Finnish. I really need to move on, but I don't really understand the sixth track very well so I want to work on it more. Except I don't want to have to do the work.

In unrelated news, I bought a new book, Ninefox Gambit. In news slightly related to that unrelated news, my shop will be doing a £1 sale on all foreign non-fiction and everyone's invited.
4 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:44 pm

I am very jealous I can't take advantage on the sale! You'll have to keep us informed for the future!

(Am also very impressed you had no troubles with LWT. I got there in the end, but it was a long process)
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 am

MamaPata wrote:I am very jealous I can't take advantage on the sale! You'll have to keep us informed for the future!

(Am also very impressed you had no troubles with LWT. I got there in the end, but it was a long process)

Unfortunately I won't be around much longer :( hopefully these things will continue without me!

(I read everyone else's advice on JUST reading the sourceforge instructions. I still got a bit stuck over one instruction, but that's just because I don't really know how computers work. I'd previously tried and failed using the Mezzofanti guild instructions).

---

More Clozemaster, little anything else. I've had a headache the past couple of days, so I decided to take a break from reading. I'm working on my mum's sock instead. I'll pick up my next book tomorrow, and it'll likely (finally) be the last book in the Engelfors series.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Elenia wrote:
MamaPata wrote:I am very jealous I can't take advantage on the sale! You'll have to keep us informed for the future!

Unfortunately I won't be around much longer :( hopefully these things will continue without me!

I got all upset thinking you were dying or leaving the forum forever or something before it occurred to me to read what was in the quote above. I assume nothing more dramatic is happening than a simple change of jobs. (I hope.)
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Elenia wrote:

I got all upset thinking you were dying or leaving the forum forever or something before it occurred to me to read what was in the quote above. I assume nothing more dramatic is happening than a simple change of jobs. (I hope.)

I made the original comment and I did that too. :oops:
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Sorry for worrying you both! I will be leaving my current job (and also moving country) hence the drama. I realise now that my phrasing does make it look like I know that I am not long of this earth...

In less dramatic news, I have finally got a Swedish/English dictionary. We received a large mostly Swedish donation today - annoyingly, I came back to the shop just after the donor left, so no conversation practice for me. I have my eye on a book by Sigge Eklund, although it doesn't seem at all like the kind of thing I'd usually go for. Otherwise, nothing doing.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”