Read Research Papers Free

General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Read Research Papers Free

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Sometimes when you google for a scientific paper or research (on languages of course) you get a paywall and can't read. However, most papers are also available in open repositories. There is a chrome/firefox extension which will search the open repositories to see if it can find the same paper for you to read. It is legal, and you're not breaking through a paywall, just searching for an open repository with the same paper.
http://unpaywall.org/

Hopefully this will be of help to someone other than reineke.
18 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Read Research Papers Free

Postby aokoye » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 pm

I have access to most of the journals I need via being a university student (and the ones I don't easily have access to I can get access to if I'm on the Oregon Health and Science University's wifi but I rarely need those). That said, some public libraries subscribe to a large selection of journals and you can find some articles on academia.edu (though I will note that sometimes the authors of those articles get asked (summoned) by publishers to take them down - at which point I start rolling my eyes). There are also some universities that provide lists and publically available PDFs of some of the publications, dissertations, theses, etc by faculty and students. Portland State University's is here.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Read Research Papers Free

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:50 pm

aokoye wrote:I have access to most of the journals I need via being a university student (and the ones I don't easily have access to I can get access to if I'm on the Oregon Health and Science University's wifi but I rarely need those). That said, some public libraries subscribe to a large selection of journals and you can find some articles on academia.edu (though I will note that sometimes the authors of those articles get asked (summoned) by publishers to take them down - at which point I start rolling my eyes). There are also some universities that provide lists and publically available PDFs of some of the publications, dissertations, theses, etc by faculty and students. Portland State University's is here.

Sadly I don't have that access, so the link provided above by rdearman is very welcome (as I love reading academic articles still -- I think I've read more since graduating than I ever did in school!). But, talking about dissertations, MIT's can be found here.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”