Learning without the Internet and HTLAL

General discussion about learning languages
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Learning without the Internet and HTLAL

Postby Ani » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:38 pm

blaurebell wrote:By the way, I wouldn't want to go back to language learning without the internet. It's just so fantastic to have a whole library of books, movies and series in gazillion languages available, as well as a ton of free language learning resources. To think that my dad still had to learn to read Russian with a paper dictionary!

Yeah that would be miserable. And to be honest, without the internet I wouldn't know HOW to learn a language in the first place. :lol: I had always wanted to learn a language but never knew how until one day I finally got frustrated and googled "How to learn a language" -- HTLAL popped up. It was like the best day of my life :)

As much as "year abroad" and "exchange student" stuff sounds great, I never had that opportunity and now it is a complete impossibility. I have also never had the funds to get the thousands of hours of immersion possible from Netflix, YT, and other streaming sites. Even italki cuts the price of tutoring sessions to 1/3 of what I'd need to pay locally, (if not more) and allows me to schedule them when I need them rather than setting up a fixed routine of paying every week whether I really need the lesson at that time or not.
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:30 am

I managed to learn a few languages before the internet was even invented, and I keep my paper books around so if the worst should happen I can still study foreign languages in my mudhut, but just not communicate with the world any longer. The biggest threats are that criminal activities will make the internet inoperative or that a major solar blast like the one in the mid 1900s will zapp all the satellites and relay stations - and both scenarios are fairly likely to happen.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Iversen wrote:The biggest threats are that criminal activities will make the internet inoperative or that a major solar blast like the one in the mid 1900s will zapp all the satellites and relay stations - and both scenarios are fairly likely to happen.

By the solar blast in the mid 1900s do you mean the Carrington Event?
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Iversen wrote:I managed to learn a few languages before the internet was even invented, and I keep my paper books around so if the worst should happen I can still study foreign languages in my mudhut, but just not communicate with the world any longer. The biggest threats are that criminal activities will make the internet inoperative or that a major solar blast like the one in the mid 1900s will zapp all the satellites and relay stations - and both scenarios are fairly likely to happen.

Or we might have nuclear war, with survivors in their mineshafts contemplating the mineshaft gap in a spirit of bold curiosity. Language learning, if done at all, will definitely involve paper dictionaries by candle light.
0 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:36 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Iversen wrote:The biggest threats are that criminal activities will make the internet inoperative or that a major solar blast like the one in the mid 1900s will zapp all the satellites and relay stations - and both scenarios are fairly likely to happen.

By the solar blast in the mid 1900s do you mean the Carrington Event?

yup.

But smaller events happen all the time.
0 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:32 am

Well my computer has given up the ghost and i doubt ill get any of the material bacm and my phone doesnt work with headphones, so definitely i have no audio anymore and no access to my grammars anymore. I have some old newspapers that im gonna go over as well as my notes that i thankfully wrote down...reading and writing is the only possibility i have now.

Never underestimate how important written notes are!
0 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtJzF6PD2nM

Imagine language learning in this environment... :shock:
0 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:18 pm

arthaey wrote:Hahaha, nice way to tack on "and HTLAL" to this ongoing thread. ;)
It was either that or "in bed".
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:26 pm

This was when the old HTLAL died (temporarily).
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “General Language Discussion”