Carmody's Log for French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: Carmody's Log for French

Postby Carmody » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Just an update…...

The Good News
First off, my sincere thanks to everyone for their kind and generous best wishes; they were greatly appreciated; truly. I did not know if I would ever see again. Vraiment. .

I went on Thursday for the cataract surgery and I believe it was a success. At least the doc says so and he found my lens to be unusually hardened. He did 7 different people just on Thursday.

The Bad News
Now for the important stuff. I went to the surgeon's office prepared for a wait in the waiting room. So, I had lots of French vocabulary that I was going to study, but they kept me so busy with pre-op stuff I didn’t get the chance to do my French.

Then during surgery they were playing music and busy talking about all the TV pgms they watched, so I did not get the chance to go through in my mind all the rules re the French subjunctive that I had planned to work on. Oh well, maybe when I go on March 30th for the other eye, things will go better with the French.

But the surgery went fine. I am now 20/20 in right eye and wear no glasses. For which I offer up many thanks.
And Many thanks to you all; you certainly are nice. And now I can really see color; wow, I have been missing out on lots.
Invraisemblable.
:D :shock: :o
14 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Carmody wrote:Just an update…...

The Good News
First off, my sincere thanks to everyone for their kind and generous best wishes; they were greatly appreciated; truly. I did not know if I would ever see again. Vraiment. .

I went on Thursday for the cataract surgery and I believe it was a success. At least the doc says so and he found my lens to be unusually hardened. He did 7 different people just on Thursday.

The Bad News
Now for the important stuff. I went to the surgeon's office prepared for a wait in the waiting room. So, I had lots of French vocabulary that I was going to study, but they kept me so busy with pre-op stuff I didn’t get the chance to do my French.

Then during surgery they were playing music and busy talking about all the TV pgms they watched, so I did not get the chance to go through in my mind all the rules re the French subjunctive that I had planned to work on. Oh well, maybe when I go on March 30th for the other eye, things will go better with the French.

But the surgery went fine. I am now 20/20 in right eye and wear no glasses. For which I offer up many thanks.
And Many thanks to you all; you certainly are nice. And now I can really see color; wow, I have been missing out on lots.
Invraisemblable.
Glad to hear everything went well. Take it easy during your convalescence, and follow the doctor's advice! :-)
4 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Carmody wrote:But the surgery went fine. I am now 20/20 in right eye and wear no glasses. For which I offer up many thanks.
Invraisemblable.

I am very happy to hear that, and I wish you a speedy recovery. :)
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:53 am

That's great news, Carmody! Just make sure you take it easy over the next couple of weeks. Those pesky little French subjunctives will wait a little while longer! ;)
3 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm

My gratitude to you all!
:D
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:36 am

J’ai reçu mon livre The Ultimate French Review and Practice; c'est pour la grammaire. Eh bien, j’ai trouvé il y a beaucoup des expressions françaises qui sont très intéressantes:

-je vois par ma « fenêtre à guillotine » que le printemps est ici.

-souvant avec mes études je «suis Gros-Jean comme devant » mais encore j'espère; toujours j'espère.

-et quelquefois, je pense d’apprendre Français est un petit peu comme «un violon d’Ingres»

--et il y a des autres jours où je sais absolument mes études sont « la fin des haricots. »

-mais néanmoins toujours avec mes études je «me porte comme le Pont Neuf»; j'espère.

Et…ansi de suite.

Ouf!

:D ;) :o :oops: :!:
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Je vous remercie pour votre visite et toutes corrections …………..

Hier après-midi, je suis allé avec ma femme voir le film « Beauty and the Beast ». Eh bien, c’était quelque chose très unique. La maison était rempli de seulement jeunes filles qui avaient six ou sept ans. Aussi, toutes ces jeunes filles avaient leur téléphone portable. Et bien sûr, c’était nécessaire que chaque jeune fille prend un selfie! Toute la monde ! A la fin du film toutes la monde l'a applaudi. Ma femme aussi s'a beaucoup plu avec le film, mais moi, je pense que toutes les jeunes étaient mieux que le film.

Sur un autre sujet, sur jeudi, le trente mars, je vais à l’hôpital pour une opération sur les yeux. C’est le deuxième opération et c’est pour la cataracte. Ainsi, je ne serai pas actif sur le Forum pour un ou deux jours.

Ouf………assez de moi.

Merci pour votre temps et toutes les corrections.
4 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:54 pm

"voir La Belle et la Bête"

rempli de jeunes filles

...avaient des (téléphones) mobiles

..à la fin du film tout le monde a applaudi.

..a beaucoup plu aussi à ma femme

toutes ces jeunes filles étaient...

toute cette jeunesse....

jeudi, le.. (pas de "sur") ...Le jeudi prochain...

Une opération des yeux, une chirurgie...
so it's la deuxième...

I haven't touched French in many years.
Last edited by reineke on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:11 pm

reineke

Many thanks.

Love your avatar.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:57 pm

reineke wrote:I haven't touched French in many years.
Ca va, t'as pas tout perdu :mrgreen:

I can add:
Très unique is not natural, you can write d'assez unique. La maison...remplie (house is feminine)
Other problem: Et bien sûr, c’était nécessaire que chaque jeune fille prend un selfie! I'm sure you know that after il faut que/il est nécessaire que, you have to use the subjonctive (conjugated verbe+que must immediatly trigger the fire alarm), so another way to put your idea would be: Et bien sûr, il a fallu que chaque jeune fille prenne un selfie !
Portable/mobile are both ok, but I think that portable is more common (at least in Paris).
6 x

Return to “Language logs”