Lists lists lists

General discussion about learning languages
kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Languages: Norwegian (native)
Spanish (learning)

Re: Lists lists lists

Postby kunsttyv » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 pm

I found a list of the 50 best Spanish tv series of all time according to Vanity Fair España.

Click!

I'm already watching Aqui no hay quien viva and Verano azul, and I'm aching to watch many more. Most of them are available for free through RTVE's website.
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:
the1whoknocks wrote:I’m learning Spanish, by the way. Also, most of these channels are maintained by Latin Americans.

An impressive and very useful list. I see a couple of episodes of VideoEle have helpful subtitles in Spanish. I assume they all must have subtitles.
A couple of misleading links, maybe? Magic Markers brought up a show for kids, and Eschufutv came up on Youtube with 'No results."
Nevertheless, a fine list of resources. Thanks.

Maybe it's enchufetv? It fits the description. The channel Magic Markers seems to be what he says it is. They answer a question while drawing an illustration of what they're talking about. I didn't think it was necessarily for kids, at least not small ones, but I didn't watch a lot of it yet.

Thanks for the clarification about enchufetv. ;)

the1whoknocks wrote:
I’m not sure if all episodes of VideoEle (videos on Agustin Iruela’s channel) have Spanish subtitles but I seem to remember that at least most of them did. There’s also a website with exercises and downloadable documents designed to be used in conjunction with the videos. I didn’t spend too much time with these, but they seemed well designed.

At first glance, the videos ‘Magic Markers’ posts definitely seem like they were made with children in mind. At least, that’s what I thought when my tutor first introduced me to the channel. Still, they do a good job at exploring social questions in bite-sized segments; usually within 4-10 minutes.

Around early B1, my tutor introduced these videos into our sessions since I enjoy talking about economics, politics and other random things. I’d choose a video, and we’d use them as a basis for conversation and from there, segway to other articles, YouTube videos or discussion topics. My job was basically to, as best I could, express my understanding of the video and the impression it left me with while extracting useful vocabulary.

Now I understand how you could use Magic Markers. Thanks for the explanation.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:22 pm

kunsttyv wrote:Let's make lists people. Let the recommendations flow freely. Movies, books, podcasts, series, favorite youtubers, anything goes.

I'll start with a list of my favorite French movies, and by the way when I look at it now, this is a pretty good reason why I should get my shit together and bring my Spanish to a sufficiently high level so that I can get around to start learning French as soon as possible.

Top 20, in no particular order.

Pickpocket - Robert Bresson - 1959
Beau travail - Claire Denis - 1999
À nos amours - Maurice Pialat - 1983
Cœur fidèle - Jean Epstein - 1923
Au hasard Balthazar - Robert Bresson - 1966
La passion de Jeanne d'Arc - Carl Theodor Dreyer - 1928
Le genou de Claire - Eric Rohmer - 1970
Les enfants du paradis - Marcel Carné - 1945
Le diable probablement - Robert Bresson - 1977
Le gamin au vélo - Frères Dardenne - 2011
Il se peut que la beauté ait renforcé notre résolution - Philippe Grandrieux - 2011
Ménilmontant - Dimitri Kirsanoff - 1926
Les salauds - Claire Denis - 2013
Van Gogh - Maurice Pialat - 1991
Quatre nuits d'un rêveur - Robert Bresson - 1971
La chute de la maison Usher - Jean Epstein - 1928
Deux jours, une nuit - Frères Dardenne - 2014
Mouchette - Robert Bresson - 1967
Finis terræ - Jean Epstein - 1929
La pianiste - Michael Haneke - 2001

Keep them coming!

Only a handful of these have come my way. IMDB describes La pianiste this way: "A young man romantically pursues his masochistic piano teacher." "Masochistic" may be an understatement! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254686/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The Crime and Punishment connection in Pickpocket went over my head.

Les enfants du paradis didn't click for me until near the end. I look forward to seeing the remainder when and if possible. Thanks.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Spanish (learning)

Postby kunsttyv » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:45 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Only a handful of these have come my way. IMDB describes La pianiste this way: "A young man romantically pursues his masochistic piano teacher." "Masochistic" may be an understatement! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254686/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The Crime and Punishment connection in Pickpocket went over my head.

Les enfants du paradis didn't click for me until near the end. I look forward to seeing the remainder when and if possible. Thanks.

La pianiste is brutal and sad, and it's nothing alluring about its masochism. I believe exploitation aficionados will be disappointed.

I didn't pick up the Crime and Punishment allusions in Pickpocket the first time I saw it either, but the second time (when I knew they would be there) it was quite obvious. Sure, the crime is different, but the paranoia is the same, and the characters match those of the novel. Raskolnikov's friend, the police officer, the girl. I actually re-watched it only a couple of days ago at the local cinema. Bresson is such a grand master of refined visual elegance and compressed between the lines style of storytelling.

For you German folks, here are ten great contemporary films from the Berliner Schule:

Toni Erdmann - Maren Ade - 2016
Der schöne Tag - Thomas Arslan - 2001
Montag kommen die Fenster - Ulrich Köhler - 2006
Gespenster - Christian Petzold - 2005
Alle Anderen - Maren Ade - 2009
Der Wald vor lauter Bäumen - Maren Ade - 2003
Ferien - Thomas Arslan - 2007
Im Schatten - Thomas Arslan - 2010
Bungalow - Ulrich Köhler - 2002
Dreileben - Petzold/Hochhäusler/Graf - 2011

Not everything that says Berliner Schule is good, but chances are it is. (Now I should point out that this label is largely created by the critics, and some of the movement's practitioners would readily deny that they belong to any such movement or school.) I've yet to see some of the more recent movies from the last couple of years.
2 x

kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Spanish (learning)

Postby kunsttyv » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Speaking of lists, maybe we should just leave it to the master.

Nabokov's lit recommendations (and disapprovals)

Highlights:

"Camus, Albert. Dislike him. Second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me. Awful."

"Dostoevsky, Fyodor. Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously."

"Hemingway, Ernest. A writer of books for boys. Certainly better than Conrad. Has at least a voice of his own. Nothing I would care to have written myself. In mentality and emotion, hopelessly juvenile. Loathe his works about bells, balls, and bulls."

"Maupassant, Guy de. Certainly not a genius."

"Joyce, James. Ulysses. A divine work of art. Greatest masterpiece of 20th century prose. Towers above the rest of Joyce's writing. Noble originality, unique lucidity of thought and style. Molly's monologue is the weakest chapter in the book. Love it for its lucidity and precision."
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:45 pm

kunsttyv wrote:Speaking of lists, maybe we should just leave it to the master.

Highlights:

"Camus, Albert. Dislike him. Second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me. Awful."

"Dostoevsky, Fyodor. Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously."

"Hemingway, Ernest. A writer of books for boys. Certainly better than Conrad. Has at least a voice of his own. Nothing I would care to have written myself. In mentality and emotion, hopelessly juvenile. Loathe his works about bells, balls, and bulls."

"Maupassant, Guy de. Certainly not a genius."

"Joyce, James. Ulysses. A divine work of art. Greatest masterpiece of 20th century prose. Towers above the rest of Joyce's writing. Noble originality, unique lucidity of thought and style. Molly's monologue is the weakest chapter in the book. Love it for its lucidity and precision."

Nabokov criticizing Dostoyevsky reminds me a lot of Michael Moorcock criticizing Tolkien.

Nabokov/Moorcock ... indisputably have great talent. At the same time, they work in a field where there is a Giant, and it drives them crazy that they themselves are not the giant.

Who reads the Elric books these days? I don't even think they are even in print. But LOTR will roll on for hundreds of years. And I don't even have to spell out what LOTR is because everyone knows.

If you were going to be trapped on a desert island for the rest of your life and could only take three books, and only had two piles to choose from (no books on building boats):

1. Pale Fire, Lolita, and Invitation to a Beheading
2. Crime and Punishment, Notes from the Underground, The Devils

Would you really pick #1? You're going to have to read these books over and over again.

Nabokov is very funny, very original ... but has about as much substance as cotton candy. His books are a fun read -- once.
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Spanish (learning)

Postby kunsttyv » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:09 pm

I agree, but obviously he's exaggerating like a bastard, trying to make some people upset. No doubt he doesn't like Dostoevsky, but generally in this write-up he's acting way too polemic for me to be able to take him 100% seriously. It's an amusing fire spitting tirade though. Usually we only read the same tiring praise of the classics.

Although I feel like he has a point when he says that Dostoevsky's prose can be vulgar, or sensationalistic.

By the way I would take Lolita over Crime and Punishment, but there are many other I would take over Lolita. Notes from Underground, to name one.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:47 pm

kunsttyv wrote:Speaking of lists, maybe we should just leave it to the master.

Another writer, D. H. Lawrence, said of Joyce, "Too arty by half."
But as you suggest, kunsttyv, Nabokov was probably just kicking an ant hill.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”