new environment

General discussion about learning languages
annafiled
Languages: English

new environment

Postby annafiled » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 am

Hi, my name is Anna and I have recently started working in a foreign environment. We have 2 French-speaking people in a team now (I work for a consultancy which develops ERP-synchronized systems) and I find it difficult to communicate with them as nono of them speaks English. I would like to take up an online course to develop my French language skills. Could you please recommend any?
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Re: new environment

Postby DaveBee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:44 am

annafiled wrote:Hi, my name is Anna and I have recently started working in a foreign environment. We have 2 French-speaking people in a team now (I work for a consultancy which develops ERP-synchronized systems) and I find it difficult to communicate with them as nono of them speaks English. I would like to take up an online course to develop my French language skills. Could you please recommend any?
Welcome to the forum. :-)

A popular french course is Assimil's "French with ease". This is typically book + audio CDs, but they do also offer it as an "e méthode" option. I'm not sure if that's online, or an installed application though.

EDIT
Duolingo is an online option. Free to use, requires a flash plugin for the (optional) spoken/microphone bits.
Last edited by DaveBee on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:41 pm

You can read that thread which gives a top five...
If you're a complete beginner, before Assimil you can acquaint with the language with Michel Thomas or Paul Noble, always a good introduction, imho.
The real question is : will your collegues start to speak english when they hear your french ? :lol:
2 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Any course can be an online course if you upload it to your dropbox or your google drive. I keep all my courses in the cloud.

Pimsleur is a good starter course for learning pronunciation. Get it from the library.
Assimil is a good second course after you've done thirty lessons of Pimsleur.
3 x

ed_phelan
White Belt
Languages: English (N) & French (A2)

Postby ed_phelan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:28 pm

I can also vouch for Duolingo, it is excellent! :)
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”