You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby geoffw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:54 pm

When news of Schoenhof's closing necessitates a phone call, multiple texts, and a trip to Facebook. =(
3 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:48 am

vogeltje wrote:
Teango wrote:When you read "Sign in to Goodreads to Learn More" and your hands automatically move to sign good read [+pl. classifier]...

I met a deaf girl yesterday and I thought of you and that you'd talk in sign langauge with her, although I don't know if she knows it. I don't think that all deaf people know sign language. She can speak spoken English, but you can notice that she's deaf when she speaks. I would love to learn sign language.

Teango speaks New Zealand Sign Language, not British Sign Language.
1 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Cainntear wrote:
vogeltje wrote:
Teango wrote:When you read "Sign in to Goodreads to Learn More" and your hands automatically move to sign good read [+pl. classifier]...

I met a deaf girl yesterday and I thought of you and that you'd talk in sign langauge with her, although I don't know if she knows it. I don't think that all deaf people know sign language. She can speak spoken English, but you can notice that she's deaf when she speaks. I would love to learn sign language.

I saw that too, and immediately looked it up...supposedly NZSL is considered a "dialect" of BSL...although the same source said that there was only ~63% similarity of signs. I've previously heard from unreliable sources that in similar cases, native signers can usually communicate adequately.
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:52 pm

geoffw wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
vogeltje wrote:

I saw that too, and immediately looked it up...supposedly NZSL is considered a "dialect" of BSL...although the same source said that there was only ~63% similarity of signs. I've previously heard from unreliable sources that in similar cases, native signers can usually communicate adequately.

I've left a particularly nerdy reply to all this on my own language learning log.

Incidentally, I couldn't find a specific sign for "nerd" in NZSL, BSL, or Auslan, but luckily ASL came to the rescue!
1 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:05 pm

when you're hanging out with an attractive person and it could lead somewhere, but you're thinking, "I could be making progress on my language studies if I wasn't here..."
5 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Cainntear wrote:
vogeltje wrote:

Can one truly be said to speak sign language...?
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:49 pm

PfifltriggPi wrote:Can one truly be said to speak sign language...?

Yes, I've seen that terminology used by both linguists and speakers of signed languages. (Of course, the terms "sign" and "signers" are also common.)
2 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:42 pm

A lot of people use the verb "speak" as it better conveys the notion that sign languages are every bit as legitimate as "spoken" languages. It carries the implicit message that it's a full language rather than a signed "code" for another language. It also begs that very question, which gives you an opportunity to challenge the misconceptions of the uninformed.
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Cainntear wrote:
vogeltje wrote:

Yes, but I thought that the sign languages are much more mutually intellgible than the spoken ones, also that with some guesses, a basic conversation would be possible, and it would only be a basic one, not a great debate etc.

Also, the New Zealand sign langauge is veyr similar to the British one, like the Amercian and French are similar (I think, I am absolutlely not sure!!!)

It's similar in the spoken langauges: if you don't speak the same, but similar ones, you can have a simple conversation. The girl is really shy, much more shy than me and more panicky as well, but maybe she thought I was more shy/panicky than her, I don't know haha she wasn't shy with me and wanted to talk with me, maybe she knew that I wouldn't find her useless or laugh at her, I don't know. I wish that she would stay longer, we could be freinds, but she is visiting a short time. She lives in the hearing world, I mean she has hearing aid and speaks the spoken language. I wish I had the opportunity to ask her about the sign languge(s) but I don't think that I will. If I do, then I will let you know.

she didn't tell me that she's deaf, so I wouldn't ask such things unless she told me, although I knew becasue it was obvious and a lady had told me e.g. that she had a hearing aid and is deaf, but atcually, that lady better shut up and not tell people about other people.

Also, if someone can speak some sign langauge, even the wrong country's one, then I expect that the deaf person would be very happy that the hearing person has made this effort and wants to try it. The deaf people have to try so hard to do what seems for me impossible (if you can't hear, but must learn to speak / read lips with words you have never heard) that it's good if we (the not deaf people) try to use sign language to reciprocate and not expect that they make 100% effort and we don't make effort at all.
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:41 pm

arthaey wrote:

Yes, I've seen that terminology used by both linguists and speakers of signed languages. (Of course, the terms "sign" and "signers" are also common.)

when you see conversation like this and think "Esperanto ... manlingvo ...."
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Return to “General Language Discussion”