What is your favorite part of language learning?

General discussion about learning languages
moo

What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby moo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:56 pm

I absolutely J'ADORE (excuse my French :) )learning vocabulary and grammar (except verbs are a pain in the a$$). I love speaking and watching shows in my target language and music is so fun to listen to in the languages I know. I like the different way of looking at the world each language opens up for me. I find language in general so interesting and love reading blogs and forums on language learning.

I dislike spending so much time learning something only to forget it after lack of contact with the language.

What is your favorite part of learning a language?

P.s if there is anyone new here who wants tips pm me and I'll help you.
6 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:06 pm

I love learning grammar, vocab not so much. For me it's just boring to be learning vocab (assuming flash cards here), whereas I love to be reading about how different languages do everything, even if I have no intention of studying that language. It's also what pushed me to start learning linguistics, so I love branching off into the various ways certain languages do things with that, too.

Furthermore, I love reading in the language, especially older works. I enjoy reading mythologies, and old stories, looking back at the ways people have lived and how that's changed. In particular, I love reading legends and fantastical stuff related to a culture's past. As far as I'm aware,this is most easily accessed in the language itself, as English translations, where they exist, are often academic and thus expensive.
5 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:20 am

I really like the sound of my own (foreign language) voice. It's completely vain, but that's what I enjoy. The fact that i've worked hard to sound authentically French (or if i'm learning another language), or close (at least in terms of pronunciation). That when I speak, there are sounds coming out of my mouth that usually come out of French speakers mouths, and now I can sound like them (for the most part). It really provides a buzz.

To add to that, I've been fascinated by foreign languages for eons and now that now I can actually speak one of them, listen, understand, read, it's all exciting.

Also worthy of a mention is the interesting doors that open by accessing a new culture from within that culture (ie via it's very own language). Something magical about all this I must say.

..and I like making my way through nicely presented language learning courses- the process of progressing itself through the matieral I find thoroughly rewarding.
9 x

moo

Postby moo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:24 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:I really like the sound of my own (foreign language) voice.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Best. quote. ever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, though , I understand why. Yeah you should be proud of your pronunciation if you've got it to where you want it to be.
1 x

windslav
Languages: Russian, English, Italian (beginner)

Postby windslav » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:31 am

Figuring out what something means is fun and feels rewarding.

The formal courses though? Screw those. Not fun at all.
0 x

Voytek
Green Belt
Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:56 am

galaxyrocker wrote:I love learning grammar, vocab not so much. For me it's just boring to be learning vocab (assuming flash cards here), whereas I love to be reading about how different languages do everything, even if I have no intention of studying that language. It's also what pushed me to start learning linguistics, so I love branc;hing off into the various ways certain languages do things with that, too.

Same here. :) It`s good to know that I`m not a feak. :P
2 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:24 pm

I especially love seeing how things fit together and and random things you hard to learn start to make sense. This can be grammar (e.g. the case/gender markings of German articles and the form of the corresponding pronouns), vocabulary (German word building is a great example) or pronunciation (e.g. similar patterns show up over and over again in languages with very different pronunciation systems).

My absolute favourite bit is the journey from A2 to B1, though. Progress is still rapid enough to be exciting and you are learning to express genuinely worthwhile ideas. It's a long hard road from B1 to B2 and at times it is hard to see the progress you are making and at the beginning stage I find it a bit stressful and not actually that rewarding (just how excited can you really get when you finally master a somewhat acceptable pronunciation of "is not" after days of effort?).
3 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Postby outcast » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Reaching my objective in a language I put a year or two of of diligent hard work, toil, overnights, trips to bookstores, libraries, and conversation meetups in, and opening Lesson 1 of my next brand new language adventure. Laying eyes on alien words, script, and grammar all over again. Yet cognizant I am about to discover things about language and thought I never knew, and become part of a brand new culture that will yet again transform the way I see the universe.
6 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

YtownPolyglot
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), German (B2), Italian (B1)
On the wishlist: Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch....

Postby YtownPolyglot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:36 pm

I like comparing languages I've learned and trying to see how much one language will help me with another...and getting some funny surprises.

I like getting foreign language books. Is there a twelve-step program for this? ;)

I like meeting foreign people and just suddenly saying a few things in my target language and seeing the look on their faces.
6 x
Native language: English
Other languages: French (C1), Spanish (B3), German (B2), Italian (B1)
Wish list: Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Norwegian....

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 pm

I love the moment at which I finally can dive into books and tv series. It gives me so awesome excuses to spend time this way. It makes me feel "ha! you wanted to keep this author from me, but I got through the barrier". The stories bring me so much joy! And I keep improving the langauge while having so much fun, awesome! Especially the phase of making the first jump a level up feel like magic. The end of the first season, or the second half of the first book.
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”