French In Action, as a learning device?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Re: French In Action, as a learning device?

Postby tuckamore » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Xenops wrote:I decided to watch the video first thing, and then move onto the workbook. I'll probably re-watch it after all of the workbook and textbook exercises are done for that chapter.
Carmody wrote:What I should do and what I do are 2 different things. My learning sequence is that I first watch the video 1 to 2 times based on the degree of difficulty. Then I read the textbook. Then I do the Wkbk and audio.

Thanks, Xenops and Carmody!
Carmody wrote:More people are asking questions re FIA and I thought it might be useful if I posted a summary of my experience at the half-way point. I was going to wait but since people are asking questions the following might be useful and save others time.

Also, Carmody, thanks for the briefing on your experiences!

For the time being, I will plan to watch the video once, use the workbooks and audio, then move on to the text and reading tasks. (The teacher's guide suggests doing all the audio before moving onto the text book. So, I'm going to try that for starters.) When I hit more difficult material, I am thinking I'll make note of that lesson and rewatch the video again a week later (difficult material often gels for me after some days of still moving forward) and/or rewatch the video immediately after finishing that lesson's workbook activities. We'll see. I'm only on lesson 2, so my battle plan is guaranteed to evolve. But, having a skeleton of a plan in place gives me something to modify.
1 x
: 10000 / 10000 10000 Japanese pages
: 1510 / 10000 the next 10000 Japanese pages

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Tuckamore

I believe it important to follow whatever path works for you.

However, the reason I do the Text before the WkBk is that it has material that you need to know but that is not in the video and yet is useful for answering questions in the WkBk.
0 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:15 pm

My personal view is that one really benefits from watching the video again after reading through the textbook and doing workbook exercises - after all that work doing the drills watching the video again makes the language jump out at you. For example, phrases spoken by bit part characters like Colette that you tend to miss first off make more sense watching them in the interaction of the story. And Capretz's lecture the second time round helps to consolidate the material.
2 x

tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby tuckamore » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Carmody wrote:However, the reason I do the Text before the WkBk is that it has material that you need to know but that is not in the video and yet is useful for answering questions in the WkBk.

This is valuable to know in moving forward. If I'm having difficult completing the workbook, I will definitely reconsider my sequence of activities. Thanks again.
0 x

tuckamore
Orange Belt

Postby tuckamore » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Elexi wrote:My personal view is that one really benefits from watching the video again after reading through the textbook and doing workbook exercises - after all that work doing the drills watching the video again makes the language jump out at you. For example, phrases spoken by bit part characters like Colette that you tend to miss first off make more sense watching them in the interaction of the story. And Capretz's lecture the second time round helps to consolidate the material.

Thanks, Elexi. This was my initial thought and why I originally asked the question. As I'm only just beginning the course, I'm uncertain about the trade-off of time versus the gains of the "language jumping out at you" for a particular lesson. So, it is helpful to know that you did find benefit from rewatching the video after completing all the exercises. I will keep this in mind as the lessons become more challenging.
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:15 am

1-Colette is an absolute charm and in her own quiet way together with Marie-Laure steal the show.

2-The more you review the more you get out of it.
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:19 pm

The following may or may not be of use to others who plan on using FIA as a learning tool.

-I am up to Chapter 34 or about 60% of the way through.

-When the author Pierre Capretz says in the beginning to not try to get it all the first time, he means it literally. Everyone thinks they can but no one really can; there is just too much.

-The audio files are done by both Capretz and Béatrice Abetti. Their efforts in doing the audio files portion of the course are truly Herculean; truly. In one sense, it does cause one to be encouraged in that if they hung in and did their part to produce it, then there is hope for others that follow in their footsteps.

-And it is to the other language students that I would like to share a few comments. In language learning, everyone must follow their own path; must find what works for them and then pursue that particular path. The path of FIA is not the path of the masses. This path is a very slow and plodding path that lacks all bells and whistles, the videos not withstanding. I happen to be a slow learner for whom the plodding path is appropriate. However most other people will find it definitely inappropriate for their learning path. So, if your pace is fast, you may best look elsewhere.

-Finally, an exceptional aspect of this course is that it seems to be both all encompassing and able to provide in the workbook format an excellent tool for future review.

In summary, it is just good to know what your own particular learning style is and what you will be getting with FIA.

I still have a long ways to go and as rdearman has said language learning is hard work. I hope I can finish but I am not betting on it. Not by a long shot.
Last edited by Carmody on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Rebecca
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1821

Postby Rebecca » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Carmody wrote:This path is a very slow and plodding path...

I still have a long ways to go and as rdearman has said language learning is hard work. I hope I can finish but I am not betting on it.

As long as you keep steady on that plodding path it is almost inevitable that you will finish. With consistent effort, plus time, we can all achieve a great deal. Language learning is hard work but, as they say, nothing good was ever achieved without it. Your success will be all the sweeter for it.

I'm planning on starting French in Action in the coming months. I already have all the components and I'm looking forward to diving in and getting started, so thank you for your thoughts about the course; they will help remind me to be the tortoise and stop attempting to be the hare. ;)
3 x
: 13 / 100 French Super Challenge - 100 Films
: 0 / 5000 French Super Challenge - 100 Books

Super Challenge Log

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:40 am

Given when you started, chapter 34 is hardly 'slow'. Congratulations on the sustained effort.
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Elexi

Thanks for your kind words.

I take this a day at a time.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”