Basque Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Re: Basque Group 2017

Postby crush » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:21 am

Vedun wrote:I also use the ikasten course, just a bit after the half waypoint, but probably have gotten ahead of myself and need to do a solid revisement of everything so far - currently all my grammatical knowledge is one big entangled mess.

Yeah, they start to throw a bunch of verb forms at you without enough practice. I've been looking into ways to study/practice all the verb forms, i can generally recognize them when i read, but when writing i often have to look at my verb chart.

The Basque Language is a bit gentler about introducing new verb forms.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:19 am

so tempted to join! :x
3 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:41 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:so tempted to join! :x

I hope you do :D Hopefully we can at least put together a nice list of resources for you if/when you do make up your mind :)
2 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:53 pm

ikasten is a bit clunky for me, and web-based courses aren't ideal for me in any case. I thought it might be a good thing, and I may use if I have a chance, but I'll probably mostly use Gorka's course. A big part of why I'm learning Basque is that I'm a proponent of "laddering for the sake of L2" (one of the best things to ever happen to my German was being forced to learn languages through it); the amount of Basque I learn is less important to me than the process of learning it through Spanish (at least that's what I'm telling myself. Probably, I'll stick with it past the point it is useful as an L3 and becomes an L2).

Oh, and those videos resulted in my spending several hours with Basque music, and a dancing one-year-old. I'm not gonna get hooked on the language at all... :?
4 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Systematiker wrote:ikasten is a bit clunky for me, and web-based courses aren't ideal for me in any case. I thought it might be a good thing, and I may use if I have a chance, but I'll probably mostly use Gorka's course. A big part of why I'm learning Basque is that I'm a proponent of "laddering for the sake of L2" (one of the best things to ever happen to my German was being forced to learn languages through it); the amount of Basque I learn is less important to me than the process of learning it through Spanish (at least that's what I'm telling myself. Probably, I'll stick with it past the point it is useful as an L3 and becomes an L2).
Are you using the Spanish version of Ikasten? It definitely could use a huge overhaul.

Systematiker wrote:Oh, and those videos resulted in my spending several hours with Basque music, and a dancing one-year-old. I'm not gonna get hooked on the language at all... :?

Heh, feel free to share any other songs you came across!
0 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:23 pm

By the way, there are a bunch of Basque movies to watch for free on the EITB site:
http://www.eitb.eus/eu/kultura/zinema-euskaraz/

For other stuff (movies, TV shows, cartoons), you might wanna check Euskal Encodings.

And a couple other popular Basque songs for the weekend:
Zea Mays - Negua joan da ta

Ken Zazpi - Ilargia

...and one last group:
Glaukoma - Egunon (download link to the disk + a parallel Basque-Spanish text of the lyrics in the video summary)

EDIT: Made some changes to the first post to add some resources, songs, etc. Feel free to suggest anything!
1 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:50 am

Also, if anyone wants, you can post a link to your log here and i can add it to the first post :)
0 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Well, I'll be using my regular log but I don't expect to pick up the pace before February.

And yea, at some point Ikasten has a very steep learning curve, throwing new verb stuff at you every lesson. But my bigger issue, and what eventually made me stop, is that B1 and B2 lessons are formated somewhat differently, too chaotically for my taste, and don't seem to cover new grammar, which isn't bad in and of itself, but somewhat disappointing. I expected more.
Another thing that bugs me is that their verb reference tables have a bunch of forms not covered in the lessons, so one has to look that up somewhere else eventually.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:17 am

Cool, i've added your log to the first post. I don't mind the B1 lessons, i just think the format of the site needs some work, some of the tests are hard to pass because you got the word order wrong or something. And they really need to put more practice in with the new verb forms, in particular the past tense forms were tough for me. I ended up making a small Python script to quiz me on all the forms.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:20 pm

You can add my log there as well.

A question for those who know more than I: the nor-nori-nork explanations are all just trying to get at absolutive, dative, and ergative cases, right? Or did I miss something else important?
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”