the Diaries of a Caffeinated Squirrel

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: the Diaries of a Caffeinated Squirrel

Postby tarvos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:06 pm

I think time together with your significant other is actually conducive towards your studies. You'll feel better. Having a situation where you miss all the people around you is never a good thing. Those things are equally necessary.
4 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:42 pm

I agree entirely. Profitez-en!
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 pm

We certainly will. I was mainly joking. Of course he is a priority! I am so looking forward to having him here!

Short update:
Finished Lektion 9!!! However, it may seem weird but I find learning German (as sitting down and opening the books) much easier than Spanish these days. I am much more looking forward to it, the time seems to run faster. No idea why, but I need to progress in the GdUdE too. The units are harder now, it is not that easy to just do ten in a row any more, I need more time for each. Perhaps it is the fact that I am much closer to the finish of the TA than the finish of GUE? But at least I've finished another book in Spanish, the fourth one this year. Another part of the Sookie Stackhouse series. There trully is a lot of useful language. I am enjoying the books, but at the same time, I am really looking forward to knowing the rest of the story and moving to something different again. But when it comes to normal, everyday, colloquial langauge, I have found nothing better so far.
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:44 am

You've read four books in Spanish already this year?! :shock: That's kind of impressive, especially for someone with so much to do.
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:34 am

I agree! I've only read three in English, two of which I started last year (one of which was only 60 or so pages long). The other book was a long format comic. :oops: Well done to you!
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:37 am

Brun Ugle wrote:You've read four books in Spanish already this year?! :shock: That's kind of impressive, especially for someone with so much to do.

That's a lot! I've only managed one in English and am on my second book (in Greek)
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 am

I've read one in Spanish. (It was terrible.) The year was already a few days old when I started it though, so if I'd started on the first, I might be halfway through a second book by now. I don't think I could have read four books in any language though, not unless I ignored pretty much everything else I have to do.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:20 am

That is pretty impressive! I've managed two small books in French & 1/4 of and Italian book, but 4 is very good.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:29 am

Guys, no need to panic, I counted wrong (hehe, cannot count to four). It was the third book. On my defence, I am on page 370 of another book (in French) and already ten or so pages into a German one :-D

Sorry, it was an honest midnight mistake, not an attempt to get such positive and not deserved reactions, but thank you!

I am reading more now, as I've been ill and tired. 1200 pages or so. My zombie-me is able to read books, watch Aguila Roja, and play Heroes of Might and Magic 5 but little else. I have promised myself to not play the HoMaM from tomorrow till the moment I am doing well at all my Pacemaker plans! Given the fact I've just added a monster plan for my medicine studies, it won't be easy. But I need to change. French medicine students really seem to be studying eight and more hours a day.

I am having a real trouble studying Spanish now. And studying in general. Today, my tiny meaningless respiratory trouble from the last week said: "nope, I am not gone, I love you and want to spend as much time as possible with you". So, I stayed at home, slept, and so on. A combination of a tbc-like cough and insomnia is really awesome.

Btw my personal record of staying up without sleep is 40 hours. Not healthy. Not something I'd like to repeat.

German-memrise. I like the course, it is going well. Spanish: three quarters of a doublepage.

Btw, my dad said he'd buy my sister and me a few books in the january sales. She's getting a few English resources I've chosen for her. I may be getting one tiny medical book, and some German and Spanish resources :-) We'll see. I'll be happy for anything from the short list. Yep, the big green awesome Spanish book everyone uses is on the list too. I hope the name, the isbn, and the description will suffice for identification (big, green, beautiful on the inside).
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:41 am

Since it's less than two weeks into the year, I find three books pretty impressive too, especially in a foreign language. I've still only read one.

I have some kind of mysterious respiratory thing going on too. Maybe I caught it from you. ;) I can't figure out what the problem is since I'm not actually sick, but it's very annoying.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”