East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Sizen
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French, Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18968

Re: East Asian Team - 2017~

Postby Sizen » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:40 pm

The holidays are over and I guess it's time to kick things into high gear. I'll be joining the team and working on keeping a semi-regular posting schedule.
0 x

Ramazzati Tenchú
White Belt
Languages: English, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2716

Postby Ramazzati Tenchú » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:I asked for some movie recommendations in my log, and I'll also ask here, just for future reference. As I said there, I've been on a martial arts film kick, generally from Hong Kong. I was just wondering if there was anything in the genre that had been done in Japanese, or any documentaries about Japanese Martial Arts (budo or ryu) that've been made (with subtitles). Iguanmon offered some interesting ones about the samurai, which I plan to watch, and I'd like recommendations about those too if you know any. Thanks.

For fiction samurai movies, this is a good place to start: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/montys+top+samurai+movies/monty/
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:20 am

Yeah, I'm in. I think I can dig up a Japanese movie or something.
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:37 pm

I really thought I'd said I'd join, but I can't find it so maybe I said it elsewhere :-)

Anyhow, I'd like to join. I have a log. I think I probably need to change the title to either not say TAC or to mention 2017 or something ... but I'll wait to see what other people do.

Thanks.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Thanks for adding me in.

ロータス wrote:Also might want to update ur signature xP

Yes. It's thoroughly out of date. Maybe when I get around to actually updating my log next :-)
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:39 am

I thought this was a TAC, but now I see it's a regular study group, so I'll join for Japanese. I need something to give me a bit of a kick to get me started again. I let it go for too long and forgot everything for the zillionth time.
1 x

tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby tuckamore » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Count me in. Several months ago, I jump started my Japanese again with active study, after a long period of mostly non-consistent, passive-type activities. With renewed focus, I'm hoping to see greater progress this year than I had been experiencing. Thanks!
My log is: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4953
1 x
: 10000 / 10000 10000 Japanese pages
: 1510 / 10000 the next 10000 Japanese pages

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Serafín [CN]

Add me to the list!
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Postby Xelian » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:44 pm

I was just wondering, can the monthly challenge be an anime series/movie? I don't usually watch them, but recently I watched an anime movie and wondered if I could write my review of it x3
0 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:31 am

Alright, I did it. Just watched "Sweet Bean" on Netflix, Japanese with no subs. Made myself watch the screen, entire time without fussing with devices. Spoilers included. Not feeling very witty or coherent right now, so I'll just say what I saw and make comments.

What happens? Guy has a shop selling some kind of pancake type thing. Kids come by eating. Old ladies comes by looking of a job. She gets the job, improves the product with the 'sweet beans.' I guess. The spend a lot of time stewing pots and mumbling incoherently. Little hard to pick that up. The shop becomes a success. There's this girl keeps hanging around, and at home she has a parakeet. Not exactly sure what her deal was. I think she likes him, but is wearing this high school uniform the whole movie? She looms around, but they don't have a relationship. Later, some the customers stop showing up. They do a lot of waiting, pull out the beaconing cat, to try to save it. No success so he sends the old lady off. No more work for her. Landlord or some other lady has some conversation, not sure, but in the end she ends up closing the shop. Guy starts drinking alcohool. Maybe old lady has some kind of disease or something? Not really sure about this, they go through some picture book or something? Kind of missed that. He finds her at her home, sees her. Is this a nursing home? Upset she's deteriorated. Guy comes back to to shop, it's been remodeled, and then the old lady's friend is there to tell him she's dead. They walk around trees and stuff, talk about how she like cherry trees, which are all over the film. And ends with him making his pancakes at some park.

Review

For me, interesting, I guess. Has that 'real Japan' kind of feel. Slightly baffling, and then a lot of old or middle-aged looking people without make up in slightly beat up looking shops hanging around, that's kind of Japan for me. Has that lonely melancholy feel I get from actual Japan when I'm there. Looks pretty good, does that kind of 'seasons metaphor' thing -- starts with spring, death in winter. Is that a cliche? Checks off all the normal Japan obsessions, work, money, seasons, death, food. Actually, I kind of like films where people worry about money, always feels more real to me.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”