French In Action, as a learning device?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Re: French In Action, as a learning device?

Postby Elexi » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:58 pm

I also saw an interview somewhere with a high school teacher who said that the course was taught over 6 semesters - but that they never finished it because the last lessons didn't fit their timetable.
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:24 pm

AnthonyLauder »
I managed to complete French In Action. It took me about a year I suppose, working on one lesson a week, with lots of repetition. Importantly, I did all the audio, and workbooks. Not just watching the TV show.

I would like to ask a follow-up question if I may on your FIA experience; please feel no pressure to answer it if you choose not to.

The question is this:looking back over the sum total of your experience with the course, just how much comprehension do you feel you have walked away with-50%, 75%, 85%?

I am not criticizing the course but my guess is that because of the extensive depth and breadth of it, I see it probable that a person could easily forget much of the material covered at the beginning by the time they finally arrive at the end point. Is that a fair characterization?

Many thanks.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Ani wrote:I really do think FIA is one of the few to do what it says if you follow the whole program. On my homeschooling forum, there is a mother whose daughter taught herself French from FIA and was able to get her writing paper evaluated by a native French teacher who taught native French students. The teacher said the girl was writing at grade level for a native French kid. Insanely huge accomplishment.

That is potentially the most encouraging thing I've heard about a course. I am really impressed.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Is anyone out there using the French In Action course?

I am currently one half way through it and am curious if anyone out there is using it and how far you have gotten.

Holiday Greetings!
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Carmody wrote:Is anyone out there using the French In Action course?

I am currently one half way through it and am curious if anyone out there is using it and how far you have gotten.

Holiday Greetings!

I started FIA in August and crashed in September. If this is the Mount Everest of French courses, I never got to base camp. I simply ran out of energy. My hat is off to you for making it half-way.

Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:45 am

Carmody wrote:Is anyone out there using the French In Action course?

Holiday Greetings!

I'll let you know when I finish (which, realistically, would be a long time after you, considering your pace). ;)
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby tuckamore » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:55 pm

When I was home for the holidays, I was fortunate to get the needed FIA materials (workbooks, textbook, and audio) from a family friend who is a retired French teacher. I began using the course yesterday.

A question for Carmody, Xenops or others that are working/have worked through the course: Do you watch the video again after completing the workbook and audio tasks? Or, do you just move on to the next video after satisfactorily completing the workbook and audio tasks? In working with courses, I don't try to 'master' each lesson before moving on to the next one. Instead, I tend to prefer to keep moving on, but often go back to previous lessons for review. So, my tendency would be to just move on. But, I was thinking that it may be worth another 30 minutes to re-watch the video for review and consolidation. Thoughts?

Also, in watching Lesson 2, I was taken back to some forgotten moments. I realized my sister and I would occasionally watch FIA on PBS when we came home from school. (We didn't have cable, so our TV options were limited). Not knowing its purpose nor being able to speak French, the entertainment value was strictly in making fun of the exaggerated acting and characters. Now, I see how beneficial this can be for language learning. For the moment, I also have the added benefit of the nostalgia.
1 x
: 10000 / 10000 10000 Japanese pages
: 1510 / 10000 the next 10000 Japanese pages

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:29 pm

tuckamore wrote:When I was home for the holidays, I was fortunate to get the needed FIA materials (workbooks, textbook, and audio) from a family friend who is a retired French teacher. I began using the course yesterday.

A question for Carmody, Xenops or others that are working/have worked through the course: Do you watch the video again after completing the workbook and audio tasks?

I decided to watch the video first thing, and then move onto the workbook. I'll probably re-watch it after all of the workbook and textbook exercises are done for that chapter.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:19 pm

tuckamore
Do you watch the video again after completing the workbook and audio tasks?

What I should do and what I do are 2 different things. My learning sequence is that I first watch the video 1 to 2 times based on the degree of difficulty. Then I read the textbook. Then I do the Wkbk and audio.

Capretz says that you should not expect to get everything the first time around. So I don't, but I mark it for further review later when I have finished the course. It is very easy to get bogged down in going through this course; one has to maintain a momentum and keep it going.
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:58 pm

More people are asking questions re FIA and I thought it might be useful if I posted a summary of my experience at the half-way point. I was going to wait but since people are asking questions the following might be useful and save others time.

French In Action:
• This is a massive course that will take a massive amount of time to complete.
• No one can truly complete it since by the time one gets half way through you will begin to forget some of the material that you have already covered.
• So I am studying the FIA material as a journey where I follow the advice they give at the beginning of the course that:
o> You are not expected to get everything the first time around..
•> Note: I make a conscious effort not to get bogged done in material that I “don’t get” the first time around. It will always be there and I can always return and review. Capretz says that almost literally at the beginning of each video segment.
• The Work Book will remain a review bk for me that I will continue to return to and review in the years to come.
• My own learning sequence is to: view the video 1-2 times, read the text, then do the wkbk with audio.
• At the moment, I am over halfway (30/51) through FIA and will hopefully continue on with the patience of one who feels strongly that it is all about the journey and not ever “finishing” one grand day. My wife is a brilliant woman who learns things very quickly but can not stomach this course at all. She tried it for about a month and then moved on to the Living Language course. I on the other hand am a "plodder" or hiker; I take it a step at a time.
• I hope I get to Chapter 51(the end,) but that seems a long ways off, so I am for now just concentrating on taking my next step and keep on keeping on.....There is a very good chance I won't make it to the last chapter, but I figure I am only down if I don't get up and that after I am up it is a matter of putting one foot in front of the other.

Good luck; hope this helps.
7 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”