Course Completion Challenge -- Open for business!

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Course Completion Challenge -- Open for business!

Postby tomgosse » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:27 pm

Carmody wrote:Tom, are you out there? Is this the right place for French In Action?

You set Sept. 6 as the start date and this is an update.

1-Have viewed all the videos once.
2-Just received today the Study Guide for Part I.
3-Have reviewed about 5 chapters of the Textbook
4-Have received Part II of the Workbook
5-Workbook Part I is on order and is due Sept. 8th.

My wife said she wants to join in and that I need to calm down and not be so excited.

Summary:
My apologies for the delay, but it looks as if Sept. 8th will be my start date or whenever it arrives.

If Ani, who started this challenge doesn't mind, it's a good a place as any.

My goal is to do one chapter a week. The only reason I picked September 6th is because that is the beginning of the academic year in the United States. It is the day after the Labor Day holiday. People can start at any time they want.

Here is Ani's original post, emphasis mine:
After recent discussion of completing courses on PeterMollenburg's log, and a few people expressing interest in the same sort of goals (if not the same languages), it seemed sensible to start a challenge thread to support and encourage each other.

This thread is a place to connect people who have decided to complete a course or several courses and want to develop consistency. Lets all post our progress and encourage each other here. We won't be keeping a registered list of participants so that some people can join us for a short burst of course work, and others for the long haul.

Hopefully we will inspire each other by our work which will lead to more complete mastery of certain elements of the languages we are studying.

To join in, please post in roughly this format:

Language:

Course Material:

Comments: Any comments on why you have selected the given course material and or what you hope to improve by its completion.

Please post link to your log if you have one.

Come back periodically and post an update on progress and your thoughts on the course so far. Let us know if you feel you are improving in the areas you had hoped to improve. If you haven't posted in a while, please add the link to your log again so that anyone who hasn't found you log yet may do so. Lets use this thread to share our progress and encourage each other, but keep longer discussion of the merits of various courses either in the logs or relevant threads on the board.

Happy Studying!

In that spirit, I think we should keep longer discussions to the thread you started on French In Action.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:30 am

I'm late to the party, but sign me up for

and

I'm aiming to have them both finished by November.
3 x

snowflake
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1292

Postby snowflake » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:41 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Frustrations and the like are part and parcel of the journey. If your course is particularly frustrating perhaps you have another course or some other ressource which you will find more motivating for a while? The key is to stay active, don't let the bothersome course drive your learning to a halt, find something which keeps you moving forward!

Going forward has rarely been a problem for me even though it's often been at a snails’ pace. I'm an eclectic learner so finishing a regular course has been a concern, sigh.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:36 am

Language:
French

Course Material:
French In Action: to be completed in 52 wks; eff. Sept. 2016

The FIA will be interspersed with Podcasts and French literature, both of which I love, on an ongoing basis.
3 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:04 am

FIA in 52 weeks - ambitious! :D
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:19 pm

How is everyone doing in September?

This Challenge was very motivating for me in August, but I lost my rhytme for obvious reasons. So, I am now updating the goals, as they have slightly changed, and this time, they will be smaller and the deadline is the end of September.

De:
1.Themen Aktuell 1 (the last three units)
Fr the huge review:
2.Grammaire Progressive Avancé (partially completed and, and completely read ages ago)
3.Phonetique Progressive (I want to get quickly through the books and audios and stop at my trouble areas noone bothered to correct in past.)
De+Es:
4.Lernwortschetz Deutsch (Goldlist, I should manage to do the whole first round and part of the second by the end of the month)
2 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:29 pm

I don't want to lose focus now that the 6 week challenge is over, so I've made a list of things I want to do while waiting for the next 6WC to start. My goal is, then, to finish all these things by the end of October.

French:
- Duolingo: 65 / 78 13 skills to go, will finish sometime in October with one new lesson a day
- Vocabulaire progressif du français débutant: 5 / 30 Has not been touched for a while, but it is an obvious supplement to Duolingo, so I think it will be very useful for me
- FrenchPod lower intermediate: 1 / 23 Started on this today, as part of my strategy to improve my listening and pronunciation skills

Russian:
- Mondly advanced: 2 / 21
- соседи 1 course book: 2 / 27 Did the introductory chapters at the beginning of the 6WC, with alphabet/writing and phonetics, but as I kept working, I soon realized I should have the workbook and CD as well. Got the workbook last week, CD is hopefully on its way... Will redo some chapters once the CD is here.
- Handwriting: 1 / 3 Got 3 booklets to practice handwriting, approaching the end of the second now
2 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:34 pm

lingua wrote:Language: Italian

Course Material:
Italian Language and Culture: Beginner
Italian Language and Culture: Intermediate
Italian Language and Culture: Advanced

I completed the Beginner course yesterday and started the Intermediate one today. :)
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:57 pm

You're awesome, Lingua!

I am a bit late, of course, I didn't make it till the end of September. But at least two of my four current quests will be finished next week. Perhaps three.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:03 pm

I am a little late to the party, but I think this will be really useful for me! I am realising how large the imbalance between my understanding and production is, so I want to focus on a few courses. I think this will just help me focus a bit more on grammar, while also increasing the amount I write. Because these are both areas in which I am falling very behind! And for Russian, I am still at a very basic level, so it just gives me some order so I can work up to native content.

Russian:
Colloquial Russian 2 - I would really like to finish this by about February. It's not a perfect textbook, but it's currently useful for me (and it's what I have!)
Russian in Exercises. - No end date, just keep plugging at it! For me this is the only way to make the noun endings more automatic)
I know and love Russian verbs - Same as previous!

French:
Colloquial French 2 - Again, I want to finish this by February
Alter Ego B1 - Hopefully aiming to finish this by next summer.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language Challenges”