Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:07 pm

Ketutar wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:We would generally say "varm" in Norwegian. I've almost never heard "het" used, certainly not in talking about everyday things like weather, water, stoves, etc.

There might be differences in other parts of Norway though. I'm mostly familiar with central Norway. However, my dictionary doesn't seem to use "het" that way either, so I would say, go with "varm."

That's interesting... so... what is the difference between luke warm and scalding hot water?

Lunkent and kokvarmt.
3 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:30 am

Hey everyone , do any of you know any decent Norwegian podcasts that a beginner or intermediate student might be able to make use of?

Also, do any of you Norwegian learners have logs on here that I can look at to see what steps you took on your Norwegian journey? thanks!
1 x

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:05 am

I've been AWOL for a while... just wondering whether it might be worth planning a start date for the next book club, even if it's several months hence, so that people have some time to plan, acquire their Faroese translations, &c?
0 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:05 am

I would favour a start date this year, it would also work on short notice for me.
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

andrepleite
White Belt
Languages: German (N)
English (not as good as I want it to be)
Swedish (~B1)
Spanish (Beginner)

One day (again): Danish, Faroese, Icelandic, Turkish, Esperanto, Korean, Russian, Bahasa Indonesia, Hindi

Postby andrepleite » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:05 am

A quite new faroese course is online: https://faroeseonline.com/ :mrgreen:

Immigrants and language aficionados alike can now learn Faroese through a free online language course, which is the result of a partnership between the University of the Faroe Islands and the University of Iceland.
[...]
The website Faroese Online, which was launched on September 12, offers interactive visual and listening exercises based on themes relevant to everyday-life in the Faroe Islands.
[...]
“We have created about 250 different exercises in Faroese based on the Icelandic model. The partnership has made it possible to develop a lot of material without having to start programming from scratch,” said John Mikkelsen, who worked on the project.
[...]
“The learning material is for foreigners with no prior knowledge of Faroese. One will learn words and phrases from everyday life,” Petersen said.
[...]
The people behind the project hope to soon launch courses at CEFR levels A1-C1.

http://www.faroeislands.fo/the-big-picture/news/foreigners-can-now-learn-faroese-free-online/
4 x
"Der Mensch erschuf die Sprache und überlegte Schriftzeichen und am Ende dieser Kette schrieb er für die BILD-Zeitung." -Danger Dan-

Soffía
Green Belt

Postby Soffía » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:47 am

andrepleite wrote:A quite new faroese course is online: https://faroeseonline.com/ :mrgreen:

Oh man, I've been waiting for that, thanks for the link! A bit too late for my trip to the Faroes this summer, but you never know, this may persuade me to go back.

As the article says, this is based on Icelandic Online, which was one of my main learning resources for Icelandic. I reviewed it here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139&start=70#p40941
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:54 am

And now I'm feeling a sudden urge to learn both Faroese and Icelandic. I think I'll just go to the gym and work out to my Finnish course until the feeling passes.
0 x

andrepleite
White Belt
Languages: German (N)
English (not as good as I want it to be)
Swedish (~B1)
Spanish (Beginner)

One day (again): Danish, Faroese, Icelandic, Turkish, Esperanto, Korean, Russian, Bahasa Indonesia, Hindi

Postby andrepleite » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:56 am

No answers to the exercises. And no indication which ones in the group you got wrong! So you just filled in the blanks for 7 verbs. Your score was 5/7. Which ones did you get wrong? And what was the right answer? Good luck finding out... it has to be trial and error. This drove me absolutely mental.

The Faroese course seems to mark your wrong answers red. At least in the first lessons.
0 x
"Der Mensch erschuf die Sprache und überlegte Schriftzeichen und am Ende dieser Kette schrieb er für die BILD-Zeitung." -Danger Dan-

Soffía
Green Belt

Postby Soffía » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:05 am

andrepleite wrote:
No answers to the exercises. And no indication which ones in the group you got wrong! So you just filled in the blanks for 7 verbs. Your score was 5/7. Which ones did you get wrong? And what was the right answer? Good luck finding out... it has to be trial and error. This drove me absolutely mental.

The Faroese course seems to mark your wrong answers red. At least in the first lessons.

Interesting! It definitely looks like an improvement in some ways. I'd assumed that it would be much more similar to the original.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Speaking of Faroese: my boyfriend introduced me to a Faroese/Danish band, Valravn. The songs he played me were in Faroese, I am not sure if they sing in Danish. I found them to be much more easy to understand than Danish, which was a pleasant surprise!
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”