Language Transfer

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Re: Language Transfer

Postby Hank » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:34 am

Fortheo wrote:Does anyone have any news about when complete German will be complete? German is on my hit list, so i'd definitely like to give the course a try and see what all the talk is about, but I'm hesitant to start an incomplete course.

From the Language Transfer Facebook page posted on March 24th:

One week until the end of the month and our monthly budget is now at $372!! If we reach $450 by April, then we can promise Complete Greek, Complete German, Intro to Italian and at least one publication all finished this year!!!

This seems like an interesting, stress free way of learning. German is the language I'm leaning towards for L3. I listened to the first two Complete German lessons. I'm not ready to totally commit yet, but I can see squeezing in ten or fifteen minutes of Complete German most days. This doesn't seem like an optimal way for me to learn, but then again I have never tried it.
3 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:03 am

Hank wrote:
Fortheo wrote:Does anyone have any news about when complete German will be complete? German is on my hit list, so i'd definitely like to give the course a try and see what all the talk is about, but I'm hesitant to start an incomplete course.

From the Language Transfer Facebook page posted on March 24th:

One week until the end of the month and our monthly budget is now at $372!! If we reach $450 by April, then we can promise Complete Greek, Complete German, Intro to Italian and at least one publication all finished this year!!!

This seems like an interesting, stress free way of learning. German is the language I'm leaning towards for L3. I listened to the first two Complete German lessons. I'm not ready to totally commit yet, but I can see squeezing in ten or fifteen minutes of Complete German most days. This doesn't seem like an optimal way for me to learn, but then again I have never tried it.

Thanks for the info! I listened to the first two lessons as well and it definitely seemed like a nice relaxing way to dabble into the language.
0 x

Rozzie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... 40994&PN=1

Postby Rozzie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:59 am

I have listen to the first five lessons of Complete Spanish and they were good. I just haven't gotten around to finishing the course. I might go back since you all are talking about the courses.
0 x

embici
White Belt
Languages: English (N) French (B2) Spanish (C1) Greek (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5175

Postby embici » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 pm

I did the original Greek one about 4 years ago. I haven't listened to the new version to see how different it is but I'm sure it's excellent. I'm glad to see the very positive reviews of it here.
1 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Sun May 08, 2016 5:04 pm

I really like language transfer, I also really like the philosophy behind the project like free learning, crowd sourcing, patrons etc,

I have done michel thomas and language transfer and would say they are definitely as good as each other, and as effective, I now recommend language transfer to anyone who asks what I recommend, but I still like michel thomas, they are similar but different, language transfer adds a few nice little things, and it sticks in the mind I find, I am keen to see these visual materials they are crowd sourcing for currently

also I like the way users can contribute to the course via transcribing or some other way, it feels nicely homemade but the actual product is very professional

highly recommended

here is a review which some might find useful

https://thelanguagequest.com/2016/02/09 ... th-review/
2 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Sun May 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Expugnator wrote:Has it always been an audio-only course? I don't remember it being the case first time I checked it (the Greek one).

yes its always been audio only but soon they are adding visual materials, I think its quite interesting how the project is developing and growing
0 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun May 08, 2016 7:10 pm

A few tiny bits of news, for those who haven't been crazily stalking the website, facebook, and patreon page:
There are finally some new tracks of Complete German, up to 35!
Complete Greek- 40 tracks are available. Makes me want to learn the language. A classmate is learning Greek, is going there for Erasmus, got a Greek boyfriend, always returns so visibly happy from Greece... I wanna learn Greek!!!
Introduction to Italian-8 tracks.

I'd personally prefer more German tracks than the Italian ones but that is just a selfish thought. I am still considering joining the Patreon crowfunding, I just need to find out how to make the paypal accept my card (no idea what the problem is) and not feel annoyed people are asking too much for French, one of the best resourced languages on the planet, instead of languages in dire need of more beginner material. Really. I'd love tu use LT Finnish, Swedish, Hungarian, perhaps Hebrew. And I'd be excited if other learners finally got more stuff for their more exotic tastes, like Vietnamese, Thai, Welsh, Swahili, and so on.
5 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Yay! Someone has ordered a Swahili course! If that someone is from this community by any chance (I know, most probably not but still), thanks! I don't need to know who you are, of course, I am just excited you support this project so much.
1.The author can devote more time to LT, thanks to the money. That means even the German course should move a bit faster, yay!
2.I am glad an exotic language gets a course. Swahili is not on my list of languages to learn (heh, LT is already doing enough damage with the Greek wonderlust temptation :-D ), but it is great the next one in line is not French or another of the huge langauges.
2 x

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:16 pm

It is too bad LT is not registered as a charity one could get a tax write-off for. Stroking a check for $5,000-$15,000 grand as a one-off is likely more appealing to people with those kind of means if they get a bit of that money back from the tax man too.
1 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:09 am

Introduction to French just beat Complete Arabic to be the next course Image

Shame really. There are already about a gazillion great resources out there for learning French. it seems to me there is far more need for an Arabic course IMO. Still, if that's what people have voted for, they must have their reasons.
4 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”