SRS Challenge Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: SRS Challenge Discussion

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu May 12, 2016 12:24 am

I started a new deck and completely deleted my old French decks. I'm already behind. I have 152 cards in it (i'm adding relevant words and sentence cloze cards as I go from my resources- courses, books, occasional word from podcasts etc). I've 59 reviews due and 26 new cards requiring 'activation'. Need to get my act together! Still I haven't been not studying I've just been inconsistent in my activities.
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri May 13, 2016 8:03 pm

I continue to do 50 cards a day and my reviews continue to build. I'm doing all sentence cards now. Oddly enough, even through the review cards are building in number, many of them are becoming easier, so I can review them very quickly. My total time with my anki deck is about an hour a day now. I'm getting it done during random times, so it isn't really competing with the the time I'm giving to the super challenge. With the sentence cards I'm using now, it takes about 20 cards to make up 250 words, which is a page for the super challenge. So if I review 200 cards, I will have read about 10 pages. 50 new cards a day is about 2 and one half pages of each of Tagalog and Spanish. It shows how intensively anki reviews things.
I'm not counting these for the super challenge of course.
2 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri May 13, 2016 10:38 pm

Current approach:
50 new cards are shown per day, added manually one by one as they appear chronologically in the FSI lessons (including drills). AwesomeTTS plays audio on-the-fly when the card appears. I sometimes repeat aloud. Things do get easier.

I didn't add anything during my stay in Berlin, but now I spend 30-60 minutes with the software throughout the day (including reviews).
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun May 15, 2016 4:46 am

My current regine:

Indonesian
10 cloze deletion cards per day - mined from my "intermediate course" which is in fact a course to teach English to Indonesians who want to do further study in Australia. That may sound a bit bizarre but it works really well. It's called "Bahasa Inggeris untuk Studi di Australia" (BIUSDA). It's actually about 85-90% done in Indonesian. I only use the Indonesian bits!

2 cards with audio front, Indonesian back per day - mined from short videos of people talking about everyday stuff such as transport, school, housing, clothes, music etc. at http://langmedia.fivecolleges.edu/culturetalk/indonesia/index.html. I love these little 4-5 minute videos. They come with transcripts and I use Subtitle Edit to subtitle them and then make subs2srs cards. It's a bit labour intensive but worth it because I enjoy the cards. Two cards a day is not much but it's okay because I don't want to use them up quickly - and I want to keep 5 out of my daily 17 new cards per day free for French.

I should add that the Culture Talk website also has short videos in other languages, including some less commonly studied European and African languages. They are made by different volunteers so quality varies.

French
5 cards a day from a shared deck based on "Assimil New French with Ease" - most have audio. Most of them are a bit easy for me but I still learn new stuff. I want to get good at French and Indonesian and I can't wait until I'm happy with my Indonesian - so I do this little bit - and occasionally listen to French songs and listen to graded readers.

As well as my 17 new cards a day I have 4500 cards already on the go and have to keep up with those reviews. Most of them are Indonesian. They are a mix of cloze, audio and subs2srs cards. Sources are as above plus from 3 Indonesian movies, SBS news and current affairs Indonesian podcasts and the "Thomas and Friends" cartoons.

I'm really aware that a big part of the effort in this challenge is going to be keeping myself supplied with good cards and all the time that takes. On one hand it's time well spent - as I make cloze cards and subtitle stuff I am actually learning/studying. On the other hand 10000 cards is a lot to hand make and I anticipate a busy time at work in the next few months. So, I am trying to get ahead and make a stockpile and this morning I ran another movie through subs2srs and got 900 cards! Still, I will delete a big percentage of those and I don't think movies are as good as series for subs2srs and I can't find any Indonesian series on DVD.
1 x

Cloud
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Studying: Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5358

Postby Cloud » Mon May 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts about including reverse cards or other card types derived from the same note?

I have my regular cards (L2 sentence + audio on the front, L1 translation on the back) and although I don't have reverse cards (L1 -> L2), I do have some typing cards to practice my listening and spelling (audio, type in the answer, all L2). I was keeping them separate from the originals, because I thought they didn't really count towards my SRS goal, since they are just a different way of testing on the same info.

Now I can't make up my mind - do I keep them separate and only include the "pure" (L2 -> L1) cards towards my SRS goal, include them and stick to the same goal, or include and increase my goal? Maybe I'm overthinking this. :lol:
0 x
: 4484 / 15000 : ko anki
: 627 / 10000 : ko read

집은 책으로, 정원은 꽃으로 가득 채워라.

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Tue May 17, 2016 2:21 am

I think a card is a card whether it is the reverse of another card or not.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Tue May 17, 2016 2:41 am

sfuqua wrote:I think a card is a card whether it is the reverse of another card or not.

I agree. And type in cards are surely substantially "different."
0 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby sfuqua » Tue May 17, 2016 3:58 am

Oh, by the way, I really hit the wall with the 50 cards a day rate I've been doing. The reviews got me yesterday, so I dropped back to 20 cards a day today. It felt much, much better.

I hope that the reviews will eventually drop off with the slowed down input of new cards. I've been through this with other decks.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

Basho[1689]

Hanuman
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Thai
Studying: Japanese (beg.) Ancient Greek (beg.) Latin (beg.)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1266

Postby Hanuman » Tue May 17, 2016 6:18 am

My start is a bit delayed due to being on holidays for the last two weeks but ready to get stuck in.

Plan at this stage is to do the following decks.

Kanji RTK 1&3 - 2400 cards (already have 800 active)
Japanese sentence deck - 3800 cards (100 previously active)
Thai sentence deck - 3800 cards (2937 previously active)

Aim to do about 10-15 new Kanji and 7-10 new of each sentence deck a day. May change the totals to more on the Japanese instead of Thai based on focus over the next year.

Try and maintain around 100 reviews for each deck a day as manageable - mostly.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue May 17, 2016 8:07 am

Cloud wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts about including reverse cards or other card types derived from the same note?

I don't use other types than L2 to L1, but only because I'm lazy. The deck would be at least twice as big (even more for multiple cloze cards per sentence).

The ideal scenario is when you understand everything in your target language and also can express anything in it. Back-translating from L1 to L2 may be one solution for this. Many courses out there (including school teachers) use that approach, while AJATT doesn't:
•This does not involve looking at an English sentence and translating it into Japanese. Do not translate from English to Japanese. Why? Well, because there are so many possible translations for a given sentence, how are you going to say which is right and which is wrong

and:

(...)remember input precedes output. ALWAYS.

...and you can hopefully find another way to practice output, without having to do cards in both directions.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language Challenges”