Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Postby Spoonary » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:36 pm

rdearman wrote:The February mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: Think up 10 Output mini-challenges for yourself!!!

:lol: What a way to get out of thinking up 11 more challenges!

I have just completed the challenge but the majority of my challenges were just copied from the list from last year so the only ones I will share with you here are those I came up with myself (which I have translated into English).

- Choose a topic, write an 800-1000 word essay (written) and make a presentation (audio). I guess this is me going back to my university roots.
- Write a script for a telephone conversation in which someone complains about something (written) and record yourself acting it out (audio).
- Write a story about Christmas (written) and record yourself reading it (audio). Another option here was writing fan fiction :?
- Write a review of the year, including all the things you did well and those you perhaps could have done better. This one is for December, and I guess the same thing could be done for the audio component too...
Last edited by Spoonary on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Spoonary wrote:
rdearman wrote:[color=#008040]The February mini-challenge is:

:lol: What a way to get out of thinking up 11 more challenges!

I have just completed the challenge but the majority of my challenges were just copied from the list from last year so the only ones I will share with you here are those I came up with myself (which I have translated into English).

- Choose a topic, write an 800-1000 word essay (written) and make a presentation (audio). I guess this is me going back to my university roots.
- Write a script for a telephone conversation in which someone complains about something (written) and record yourself acting it out (audio).
- Write a story about Christmas (written) and record yourself reading it (audio). Another option here was writing fan fiction :?
- Write a review of the year, including all the things you did well and those you perhaps could have done better. This one is for December, and I guess the same thing could be done for the audio component too...

Hey! Those are some mega cool ones. Have you sent them all off to your future self?
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:53 pm

rdearman wrote:Hey! Those are some mega cool ones. Have you sent them all off to your future self?

Nah. I was going to, but the thought of sending 10 individual emails this evening made me sleepy, so I just stuck them all on a word document. Maybe I'll send them to myself tomorrow or something.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Spoonary wrote:

I was going to do suggest something similar! I've been planning to do this for a while, and I thought just last night that I could do an 'exposé' in Swedish! But I was too lazy to think of other challenges for myself XD
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Elenia wrote:
Spoonary wrote:

I was going to do suggest something similar! I've been planning to do this for a while, and I thought just last night that I could do an 'exposé' in Swedish! But I was too lazy to think of other challenges for myself XD

You have all month to think of some challenges!
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:24 pm

2016 Mini-Challenge is here!!!!

I'm leaving all the previous months as a recap, and don't forget you can see last years mini-challenges in this thread too.

The January Mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Write a short script between two characters which starts in a lift (elevator). The first line of dialogue in the script should be: "You didn't sit on the red chair did you?", and the last line of dialogue should be: "Are you kidding me? We're not 'fine'!"
Audio Challenge: Record this script reading for both characters. Bonus if you can record this twice with a native speaker, each of you doing one character then swapping.

The February mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Think up 10 Output mini-challenges for yourself!!! Email one to arrive on the first of each month for the rest of the year using FutureMe.org. Write out the challenge in your TL, and hopefully when you get the one in December you'll see how much you've improved!
Audio Challenge: Read / speak your Output mini-challenges, and attach them to an email to the future you! (although I think you'll have to embed a link in the email actually)

The March mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) write a summation of a news story. Doesn't have to be long, but shoot for longer than a tweet!
Audio Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) record a summation of a news story with you speaking.

Not a very original challenge for March, but a deceptively difficult one I think!
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Postby EmmaC02 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it on the first few pages of either Output Challenge thread. Can chatting with a native in the target language through text or instant messaging count?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:24 pm

EmmaC02 wrote:I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it on the first few pages of either Output Challenge thread. Can chatting with a native in the target language through text or instant messaging count?

Yes, although in order for it to count toward the audio portion, you'd have to record it. Also only the portion of time where you are speaking or writing counts.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

snowflake
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1292

Postby snowflake » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:29 pm

I've been recovering from a medical procedure and so did not record much of anything for a bit over 2 months. So need to celebrate that
1....I've started recording again
2....Finally made it to the 10% point

Yay!
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:37 am

Hi:)
I just registered for the challenge and wanted to introduce myself. I have read HTLAL for the past few years, mostly searching for advice and getting back to studying. I am learning French as basically my first and only foreign language (spoke Italian as a child, don't speak a word of it anymore). I am a stay at home, homeschooling mom of 4 and with our last baby I decided to take a rather big jump and speak only French with him (while still speaking a mix of English and French to the others). He is just starting to speak his first words in English and French. These next 18 months will make or break my crazy plan. An output challenge seems like exactly what I need. Input is no struggle at this point but.. I am shy. So I need a push just to do it :)

Anyway -- Nice to meet you all!
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language Challenges”