Serpent's cyclic log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Serpent's cyclic log

Postby Serpent » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:24 pm

Thought I'd write a disclaimer for some future posts (both here and in other threads).
Pointing out the racism, sexism etc in a work of fiction is a simple observation, with no direct implication that the work is bad/should be banned/isn't worth reading, or that it was intentional and the author is/was a bad person. Please don't be defensive and/or dismissive. The goal is not to find the most inclusive and discrimination-free book or media, but to raise awareness. Furthermore, any minor or subtle instances count - often they're frustrating exactly because they're "no big deal", or shouldn't be.
In certain contexts, discrimination is so common that we take it for granted and learn to expect it, if we notice at all. This normalizes it. I'm just challenging that. Join me or scroll past the posts 8-) Don't start debates that are outside the scope of the forum.

On a side note, I ask everyone not to use ableist language in my log ;)
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:48 pm

Serpent wrote:Then, can anyone help me figure out the place names mentioned here, apart from Vicenza? The lady is called Valerija Populić (sp?), but I can't seem to figure out where she says she was born and grew up :roll:

I don't know if anyone responded to you via PM, but I'll write what I think I heard anyway.

Abito a Vicenza, sono cresciuta nelle Marche?, e sono nata in Ucraina.
1 x
How yes no.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:03 am

Hvala!!! :D I think that's indeed what she says :) A bit ironic that I didn't realize :P
1 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:55 pm

A short text that's not meant to represent any specific religion afaiu. Finnish, Hungarian, Romanian, English :)
I'm open to speaking about religion, but only via PM or facebook ;)
1 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Just saving some words from the Spanish test for future reference.
desmandado desemboque saladero juma rebalsa comadrona uro humedal casamentero tasar difusora fecundativo chivato datura toser acantilado prostíbulo adensar corsé pija verraquera aovado encartado vid echadizo morreo lexiarca incautarse forestar descabello decimonono insipiente guerrillero enchapar
I also wasn't sure about madrina though I already knew madrastra.

Has respondido SÍ al 51% de las palabras correctas.
Has respondido SÍ al 3% de las palabras inventadas.
1 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:47 pm

And Portuguese words from the Leipzig test, copied from my log on old HTLAL.

orçamento 'budget', feição 'face expression(?)', desprezo 'ausência de consideração?', auge 'height, peak', suscitar 'provocar aparecimento'

unsure about (but still picked correctly) bacia 'basin', integrante 'member', assinalar 'mark', enfiar 'insert, thread a needle etc' (I know fio but the definition seemed too vague)
avistar 'to sight', estragar 'spoil, damage' - missed but obvious in hindsight
0 x
Corrections welcome

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:17 am

Serpent wrote:First, can any Italian [speaker] clarify what exactly tacco 12 is? Does it refer to the height of the heels in cm?

It is indeed a 12cm heel. I think 12cm is sufficiently extreme to be noticed. There's even a book:

"La fisica del tacco 12: Il libro che spiega perché la scienza è un gioco da ragazze"

It's on google books but I'm not sure that giving a link will be any more use than simply searching for that title.

I have no idea whether heel height has come to mean anything specific in Italian culture (nor indeed in any other).
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:35 am

Serpent wrote:There's a fanstastic project here in Moscow, namely the School of Neighbours' Languages. They teach the languages of the CIS countries, like Ukrainian, Tajik, Romanian/Moldovan etc... and Belarusian :)
I've sent an application for Belarusian and I'm considering sending one for Romanian too. Oh and it's all for free :)

Just for fun I'm sharing my application/motivation letter here. I hadn't written in more or less formal Russian for ages...
Что общего у Славянского базара и Московского фестиваля языков?

I got accepted btw. I've been on a newspaper cover, on afisha.ru main page and there should be more links coming :)

I still admire the prof, and there's always one funny bit in a text or among the sentences for translation, but beginner stuff is still boring sometimes. I find myself just reading the texts on my way to the class :roll: Much like with Portuguese classes before, I feel like I can pick things up faster than others, but they can outdo me when it comes to the details, through sheer diligence. The same also happened with German both times I studied it at uni.
Also, I have to admit that I would've been ready to skip next Monday's class for the sake of football. :roll: :?

The better news is that this class has awakened my Polish from the beginning, yet the first time I accidentally used a Polish word was during the 4th lesson, last week. (well, I also struggle with stressing the word але the Polish/Czech/Croatian way, but that's influence from multiple languages plus pretty much everyone has been making this mistake)

I didn't sign up for Romanian. I talked to someone who'd taken the previous course, and she said it was very basic. While I think her level is higher than mine, this reminded me that there would be people who speak no Romance language or even English. Also, I mostly liked the idea of getting an A1 or A2 certificate for free, but the certificates won't reflect any specific level. Oh and Romanian was much more popular anyway, so that I don't think they'd have accepted me. I did think of applying for the next class just to be forced to work on my grammar, but meeeeh.

I also unexpectedly have good news for Swedish. Just recently I felt like a failure, but then I read a song's lyrics for the first time and understood more than expected; I've also started reading a Barcelona guidebook and so far it's been surprisingly easy.

I'm losing interest in the 6 week challenge though. My life is so multilingual that I forget to log things because they're so natural :D I guess I should mostly participate when I plan to watch/listen a lot in my main language.
4 x
Corrections welcome

Sofia
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (C2), Spanish (C1), German (B1/B2), Japanese (beginner), Swedish (beginner)

Postby Sofia » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:48 am

Serpent wrote:There's a fanstastic project here in Moscow, namely the School of Neighbours' Languages. They teach the languages of the CIS countries, like Ukrainian, Tajik, Romanian/Moldovan etc... and Belarusian :)
I've sent an application for Belarusian and I'm considering sending one for Romanian too. Oh and it's all for free :)

Congratulations on getting accepted! That sounds like a great project indeed, I wish there was something similar here :(
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:11 am

I have the same problem with the 6WC. I never include things like reading Facebook, Twitter or surfing the net even though I do it in multiple languages, including my target language for the 6WC. It's just too hard to keep track of. I also never include Norwegian stuff because I don't feel that I'm really studying it, although I suppose I do still occasionally learn something.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”