Countries games

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Adam
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Mandarin Chinese (have been trying to learn for a long time)
French (a bit)
Japanese (a little bit)
Other languages - learning the scripts of Arabic, Hebrew, Tamil, Burmese, Korean, Hindi; have dabbled in Spanish, Russian, and Ancient Greek.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1449

Re: Countries games

Postby Adam » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:12 am

Gelbmesser, eh?

Ser gutt!

Und schön Hut.

(BTW, what happened to Yugoslavia? Did it dissolve again?)
1 x
(The user formerly known as Adamdm or AdamDM2 on HTLAL)

LMAshton
Yellow Belt
Languages: English N,
German A1, Spanish A0, French A0
Next: Plautdeutsch, Sinhala
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1729

Postby LMAshton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:38 am

Jugoslawien brach im Jahr 1991 oder so, denke ich.

Der Hut ist aus Wasserbüffelleder gefertigt und hat Elefanten zu versehen. Es ist ein in Sri Lanka Produkt.

(I had to look up a few words, but I think I've got the gist of it. I hope.)
0 x
LMAshton on Memrise.
: 114 / 1612 German A2 on Memrise
: 188 / 5038 German 5000 Words on Memrise
: 1017 / 1706 Spanish A1 on Memrise
: 1479 / 1663 French A1 on Memrise
: 53 / 5000 French 5000 Words on Memrise

Adam
White Belt
French (a bit)
Japanese (a little bit)
Other languages - learning the scripts of Arabic, Hebrew, Tamil, Burmese, Korean, Hindi; have dabbled in Spanish, Russian, and Ancient Greek.

Postby Adam » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:57 am

Haben Sie Wasserbüffellederhosen mit Ihrem Wasserbüffellederhut abtragen?
0 x

LMAshton
Yellow Belt
Languages: English N,
German A1, Spanish A0, French A0
Next: Plautdeutsch, Sinhala
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1729

Postby LMAshton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:15 am

:shock: Nein! Ich habe kein Wasserbüffellederhosen. Wasserbüffelleder zu dick und steif. Es zu schwierig zu tragen wären.
0 x
LMAshton on Memrise.
: 114 / 1612 German A2 on Memrise
: 188 / 5038 German 5000 Words on Memrise
: 1017 / 1706 Spanish A1 on Memrise
: 1479 / 1663 French A1 on Memrise
: 53 / 5000 French 5000 Words on Memrise

Adam
White Belt
French (a bit)
Japanese (a little bit)

Postby Adam » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:36 am

Sie müssen Wasserbüffellederweichspüler.

Oder Wasserbüffellederhosenerweichspüler.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:12 pm

So we have arrived at Z, and Zimbabwe is gone, which leaves ZAMBIA!!!!!

I have only visited that country once. I bought a safari from Malawi to the South Luangwa national park in Eastern Zambia. We stayed in a lodge close to the mighty Luangwa river, which was full of crocs and hippos. Each night the hippos came into the camp to graze, and that meant that you might meet them if you walked around after dark. Hippos are actually quite dangerous, and one of the most stupidest things you can do is to place yourself between a hippo mum and its young or between any hippo and the river. We had had late diner one of the first evenings and I walked over to my room in a side wing when I saw a hippo at the pool. I walked back and told one of the employees, but he just shrugged it off - "yes they come every evening" - and then he told me a few things NOT to do with hippos around. One or two night later I heard something outside my door and thought that it might be the regular elephant caravane so I grabbed my camera and and opened the door to photograph them. But it was a hippo just 3 or 4 meters away. The employee had forgotten to mention taking photos of nearby hippos through a halfclosed door so I took one snapshot and hastily closed the door. Unfortunately there was a lamp in the roof outside my room and that spoilt my picture, so you'll have to make do with a bunch of wild dogs having lunch on something they had just killed - we saw them chasing it, but not the kill itself. They are said to be among the most efficient hunters, but not at all common anywhere, and it is the only time I have seen them in the wild.

Zambia_F2647b05.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Adam
White Belt
French (a bit)
Japanese (a little bit)

Postby Adam » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Dans l'annee 1788, Jean-François, Compte de la Pérouse, grand explorateur scientifique, arrivé a "Botany Bay" (Anglaise pour baie botanique), peu après l'establishment de le colonie Britanique de "New South Wales" (nouvelle Cambrie sud).

L'entourage de La Perouse compris deux naviere, "Astrolabe", et "Boussole", et à peu près cent hommes. Ills a visité previousement les Ameriques Nord et Sud, l'Asie orientale, et quelque îles dans le océan Pacifique.

Après un soujourne de six semaines, l'expedition continue, et était perdu, naufragé dans les îles Solomonique, et les hommes pertetre mangé pas les habitantes.

Ajourd-hui, le nom de La Perouse se souvient en Australie pas un nom de un faubourg de Sydney, et le phrase vernacular pour l'aclohol.
Last edited by Adam on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:53 pm

There is only one officially Anglophone country in Central America, the former British Honduras which now has become an independent country under the name of Belize. It has a string of 'keyes' (islands with white sand, blue sea and all that stuff), a capital with the same name as the country, a lot of forest and a number of important maya sites, but for me the summit of touristic sights in the country is the zoo - "the best little zoo in the world" as it claims on its homepage (but some other small zoos might also want to compete in that category). It lies near the main East-West road in the country, and there is a bus stop close by. The collection consisted in the beginning of left-over animals from film projects, but since then it has become more mainstream and now is a fine 'normal zoo' with a lot of greenery - though I'm pretty sure it also is ecological and all that. However I saw that it had huts somewhere in the jungle at a lake, and I hired one of these. It was close to a small lake, and across that lake there was an unmanned guesthouse where one family stayed - apart from that I had the whole area for myself. The birds below are called chacalacas, and that's exactly what they sounded like - often, loud and late.

Chacalacas_F2921a02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:04 pm

OK, we have been to Canada deux fois in this thread, mais only pour visiter Yellowknife in the far North and Québec. Or, il y a quite a lot of Canada outside Yellowknife, and 'j'ai seulement seen a little bit of it. The West is tri- or fourlingual puisque you entendez as much Japanese 和 Chinois in the streets as English in places like Vancouver. The North doesn't really speak any languages because hardly anyone lives there. If you do meet anyone là, cette person may be a 'First Nations', Inuit or Métis, and then you can't understand anything they say - à moins they show clemency and parle English or (maybe) français à vous. Ah dunno, ah dinnae visit that part o the kintra - too cauld. In Québec la langue prédominante is French, but in Montréal (/mong-real/) on parle aussi English (as evidenced par l'image below). And at the Northern end of Nouvelle-Brunswick there is a French population, which somehow managed not to be évictée par les Anglais. The rest were deported à Louisiana.

hotdog-steamé-Montréal.jpg
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:03 am

Dominica is one of the Caribbean Islands, and it is pronounced with the accent on the third syllable. Because it once was a British colony (one of the Windward Islands) people speak English there, but now it is an independent nation with Roseau as its capital and a population count of around 72.000 souls. And guess, I have been there. I arrived without having studying the calender, and then I happened to bump down in the middle of the annual carnival. While in Roseau I also visited the Boiling Lake on the picture below. It's a volcanic crater with hot water in it, and it is surrounded by lush tropical forests.

Dominica-Boiling-Lake_F2638b03.JPG
2 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”