German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: German group

Postby smallwhite » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:07 am

vogeltje wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
Opening Post wrote:
Rules:

2.The langauge of this thread will be unfortunately English, for the same practical reasons Iguanamnon described well in the Spanish group thread. Of course German posts are welcome, but provide a translation or overview for the beginners among us.

I thought our administrator finally came to point out the forum and group rules, but no. I guess I'll have to afterall.

I once got busted for writing a post with just one Chinese character... because I was writing it out for someone who asked how to write it :?

Yes, this was already explaiend by Elenia and Speakeasy so you can stop following me to criticise now thank you.

That's not true. No one mentioned it was the Group Rule. That's what I was pointing out. But I waited 7 days first, hoping someone else would so I didn't have to.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:13 am

smallwhite wrote:
vogeltje wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
Opening Post wrote:
Rules:

2.The langauge of this thread will be unfortunately English, for the same practical reasons Iguanamnon described well in the Spanish group thread. Of course German posts are welcome, but provide a translation or overview for the beginners among us.

I thought our administrator finally came to point out the forum and group rules, but no. I guess I'll have to afterall.

I once got busted for writing a post with just one Chinese character... because I was writing it out for someone who asked how to write it :?

Yes, this was already explaiend by Elenia and Speakeasy so you can stop following me to criticise now thank you.

That's not true. No one mentioned it was the Group Rule. That's what I was pointing out. But I waited 7 days first, hoping someone else would so I didn't have to.

You didn't have to becuase Speakeasy and Elenia had explained and I said no problem, we all agreed to write in English here.

1) I didn't know so I wrote in German
2) they explained so I knew,
3) we all agreed to write in English .

THE END.
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:28 am

ZDF is publishing Ófærð (Trapped), a crime drama from Iceland which is their most expensive TV series at a production cost of $9,184,030. Like Cloud Atlas, it's dubbed into German with near perfect subtitles. Only available in DE-AT-CH. I'm recording the episodes and waiting for all 10 before watching but it seems promising. Link.
4 x

sjintje
Orange Belt
Languages: Native English
Functional but fading French
Intermediate but erratic German
Reads Dutch headlines
Dabbling in Spanish and Japanese

Postby sjintje » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:43 pm

I suspect the ARD Mediathek is only available in Germany, but may as well mention this program on german dialects. Its more "magazine" than serious documentary.

http://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Dokumenta ... d=40922492
3 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:35 pm

Here in the UK I am able to watch most stuff on ARD Mediathek. Mostly I only seem to be deprived of the Swiss and Austrian Tatort.

Thank you for the documentary link, looks interesting!
3 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:20 am

Most ARD and ZDF stuff isn't geoblocked, the same with the regional channels. It was a big thing about access for Germans abroad; stuff that's shared-rights (like the mentioned Austrian and Swiss Tatort) won't be available, though. ARD, ZDF, BR, BRAlpha, and SWR all have decent apps as well (I don't know about the other regionals, but probably).
6 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:05 am

Hi everyone! I have been primarily focused on the Pimsleur program to get my brain workouts in German in, and anyone who has ever done Pimsleur knows they are not great about clarifying grammar usage. I have noticed in a few lessons I have done recently that sometimes it is "in die Straße" and sometimes it is "in der Straße." I have not done much in the way grammar study for German just yet, and figured that "in" was a dative trigger until recently when I heard "in die Straße" come out as an answer. So obviously something is going on that I have yet to figure out. Can anyone explain what is going on here to me (or post a link)?
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:12 am

Das Hotel ist in der Schillingstrasse. - Location
in die Straße einbiegen - Direction

It's even more complicated than just "in der Straße" and "in die Straße", since there is also "auf der Straße" (https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... Fe.413628/)

For me auf vs in is largely intuitive and I find it difficult to explain. Usually this sort of thing is sorted out by lots and lots of exposure. And Germans would definitely sometimes make mistakes with this too, because this is a sort of fleeting distinction where you can sometimes use both and other times one of the two will sound weird. This might also depend on regional dialects.
4 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:13 am

M23, it is about the difference between location and direction, as blaurebell said. The difference is similar to Latin grammar, there the difference lies between akkusativ and ablativ, if I remember correctly.

I recommend doing another course as well, not just Pimsleur. Themen Aktuell is really good, and the arbeitsbuch (the grammar explanations are there) is bilingual.

Exposure helps too, that is good news. But it takes time, as usual.
2 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Stefan wrote:ZDF is publishing Ófærð (Trapped), a crime drama from Iceland which is their most expensive TV series at a production cost of $9,184,030. Like Cloud Atlas, it's dubbed into German with near perfect subtitles. Only available in DE-AT-CH. I'm recording the episodes and waiting for all 10 before watching but it seems promising. Link.

So apparently I made a mistake. The original series had 10 episodes in Iceland and Sweden but in Germany they turned it into five 90+ min episodes. I'm getting the feeling that German TV got a fetish for really long episodes.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”