Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Spanish Group

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu May 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Spoonary wrote:What are you all reading in Spanish right now?
I am looking for something short, ligero and, if possible, amusing to read and nothing I have in my to be read pile seems to fit the bill. :roll:

I'll offer Veinte poemas de amor y una canción desesperada by Pablo Neruda, which I am reading right now. Definitely short (116 pages), but it may be a stretch to call the poems "ligeras" or amusing.

"Un señor muy viejo con unas alas enormes" by Gabriel García Márquez is a short story and funny (though in the dark way that he could be funny). When I read it years ago, I thought it was light, too, but others may disagree.

Best I can do.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Bebetter
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... 40419&PN=3

Postby Bebetter » Fri May 12, 2017 12:00 am

I have been reading the Darth Bane Star Wars books. If you are fan you should consider signing up at this site, librosstarwars.com.ar/
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Fri May 12, 2017 8:58 am

I'm reading Osvaldo Soriano's Cuarteles de invierno, but like a lot of books from that period it's definitely not ligero! I'm only a third of the way through but it is already very uncomfortable and starting to go in the direction of Ni habra más penas ni olvido. Interesting, but harsh.
2 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:39 am

I'm reading the Spanish translation of Michael Connelly's Trunk Music.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Fri May 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Anyone have sci-fi/fantasy originally written in Spanish that they'd recommend?
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri May 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Have a look at the works of Daína Chaviano. She's a Cuban-American author who left Cuba and now lives in Miami. I first read her novel La isla de los amores infinitos several years ago which has important elements of fantasy in it. It's a part of a trilogy called "La Habana oculta" which includes Casa de juegos and El hombre, la hembra y el hambre . Each can be read independently. She has also written several sci-fi novels and short stories.

I follow @f_cientifica on twitter which always provides good recommendations. Their associated website is Ficción Científica where you can find other recommendations.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 pm

blaurebell wrote:I'm reading Osvaldo Soriano's Cuarteles de invierno, but like a lot of books from that period it's definitely not ligero! I'm only a third of the way through but it is already very uncomfortable and starting to go in the direction of Ni habra más penas ni olvido. Interesting, but harsh.

My local library has this, so I'm going to give it a go. Thanks.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)

Postby blaurebell » Fri May 12, 2017 6:06 pm

arthaey wrote:Anyone have sci-fi/fantasy originally written in Spanish that they'd recommend?

You could try to check Fallo de systema for Sci Fi recommendations probably. I've been meaning to listen to that, but then podcasts are really too easy for me and currently I'm focussing on improving rather than just enjoyment. If you find anything interesting let us know :)
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Fri May 12, 2017 6:15 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
blaurebell wrote:I'm reading Osvaldo Soriano's Cuarteles de invierno, but like a lot of books from that period it's definitely not ligero! I'm only a third of the way through but it is already very uncomfortable and starting to go in the direction of Ni habra más penas ni olvido. Interesting, but harsh.

My local library has this, so I'm going to give it a go. Thanks.

I think it's nicely written, perfect style for the story. Ni habra más penas ni olvido is great too, but that's just mad, gets totally out of hand. There is also a film I believe, which I haven't seen yet, but it's supposed to be very good. Not all his writing is this harsh by the way, just the stuff written during that particularly dark period. I can also recommend Triste solitario y final, that one is just fun.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri May 12, 2017 6:28 pm

blaurebell wrote: There is also a film I believe, which I haven't seen yet, but it's supposed to be very good.

When I googled, or rather DuckDuckGo'ed this, the film came up first and was playable. I watched a couple of minutes. Argentine, I guess, judging by the Italian intonation of one of the characters?
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”