Team Tea and Scones

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
LadyGrey1986
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N),
Has studied: English, French, German (I never took a test, no idea where I belong on the CEFR scale)
Studies: Arabic (Beginner)
Wishes to Study: Farsi/Persian

Team Tea and Scones

Postby LadyGrey1986 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:40 am

When browsing the old HTLAL forum, I noticed there was a team for learners of English as I second language. I thought it might be nice to resurrect it here :)
Learning a seond language never stops, even at an advanced level.
5 x
Corrections welcome in any language :)

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Team Tea and Scones

Postby Systematiker » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:44 pm

I'll be a native speaker godparent, if you want me and there's not more qualified folks who want to do it.

I'm a US-American who has taught ESL in the USA and in Germany. I teach grad school now, primarily theology for a seminary and philosophy for a university (where my main qualifications are, I hold a research doctorate in each subject, but the philosophy one is a DA, so it's more of a generalist's degree) and team teach with the literature department at the uni. I speak standard American English and Blackwater natively, learned Transatlantic as an adult.

I think someone on this board teaches English comp somewhere, though, they may be a good choice.
2 x

LadyGrey1986
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N),
Has studied: English, French, German (I never took a test, no idea where I belong on the CEFR scale)
Studies: Arabic (Beginner)
Wishes to Study: Farsi/Persian

Postby LadyGrey1986 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:38 pm

That would be really kind of you :)
0 x
Corrections welcome in any language :)

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Systematiker wrote:I'll be a native speaker godparent, if you want me and there's not more qualified folks who want to do it.

I'm a US-American who has taught ESL in the USA and in Germany. I teach grad school now, primarily theology for a seminary and philosophy for a university (where my main qualifications are, I hold a research doctorate in each subject, but the philosophy one is a DA, so it's more of a generalist's degree) and team teach with the literature department at the uni. I speak standard American English and Blackwater natively, learned Transatlantic as an adult.

I think someone on this board teaches English comp somewhere, though, they may be a good choice.

Two questions:
  • What is Blackwater?
  • Where and how did you learn Transatlantic?
Thank you,
Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:55 pm

tomgosse wrote:
Systematiker wrote:I'll be a native speaker godparent, if you want me and there's not more qualified folks who want to do it.

Two questions:
  • What is Blackwater?
  • Where and how did you learn Transatlantic?
Thank you,
Tom

Blast from the past in this group! It's been dead a while.

Blackwater is a dialect centered around Northern Florida - it shares some commonalities with the general Southern, and interestingly, I've recently found out, some features with Gullah as well.

For Transatlantic, there used to be some youtube recordings of a diction course for transatlantic, but more importantly, watch a lot of old films and repeat. It was way easier for European L2 speakers of English to understand me that way, which is why I picked it up.
2 x

Aproval
Languages: English

Postby Aproval » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:40 pm

LadyGrey1986 wrote:When browsing the old HTLAL forum, I noticed there was a team for learners of English as I second language. I thought it might be nice to resurrect it here :)
Learning a seond language never stops, even at an advanced level.

Hi, It is my first time here. I'm study English
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”