Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Re: Team Middle East

Postby Luso » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:37 pm

I've finally decided to get my Arabic materials in one place. Now I must organise them and get to work.

I don't know about other people, but for me learning Arabic has always been quite time-consuming, especially where vocabulary is concerned.
0 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

LadyGrey1986
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N),
Has studied: English, French, German (I never took a test, no idea where I belong on the CEFR scale)
Studies: Arabic (Beginner)
Wishes to Study: Farsi/Persian

Postby LadyGrey1986 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:29 pm

From the "Language Transfer" Thread:

http://www.languagetransfer.org/introduction-to-arabic
2 x
Corrections welcome in any language :)

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:00 am

I've now begun playing with that introduction to Arabic from languagetransfer. As if I really needed more, but it's just for fun.

Still solidifying Hebrew vocab here. Might branch out more into the modern stuff in the next few weeks.
0 x

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Postby JohannaNYC » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi, is it too late to join?

I'm actively studying Egyptian Arabic and would like to have a place to share difficulties, triumphs, book recommendations, etc with other learners. I have access to native speakers both on Skype and "real life" friends, but I don't think they understand the struggle, they keep on telling me that I can be fluent in Arabic in 6 months.
1 x
Corrections welcomed!

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:26 pm

JohannaNYC wrote:Hi, is it too late to join?

I'm actively studying Egyptian Arabic and would like to have a place to share difficulties, triumphs, book recommendations, etc with other learners. I have access to native speakers both on Skype and "real life" friends, but I don't think they understand the struggle, they keep on telling me that I can be fluent in Arabic in 6 months.

It's never too late to join. :)

Here's a nice mellow song in Hebrew/Levantine Arabic/English:
0 x
How yes no.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:04 pm

JohannaNYC wrote:Hi, is it too late to join?

Glad to have you!

Careful, though, I started out just wanting to freshen up my Biblical Hebrew, and now I'm working on the modern version as well as some Arabic (Egyptian also, by default, since that's what my available materials seem to be in). The tempation is strong... :D
0 x

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt

Postby JohannaNYC » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Thanks! I will try to be careful, I'm aware of my tendency of trying to learn too many languages at once.

What are you using to learn Egyptian?
0 x
Corrections welcomed!

LadyGrey1986
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N),
Has studied: English, French, German (I never took a test, no idea where I belong on the CEFR scale)
Studies: Arabic (Beginner)
Wishes to Study: Farsi/Persian

Postby LadyGrey1986 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:55 pm

Welcome Johanna!
1 x
Corrections welcome in any language :)

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:12 pm

JohannaNYC wrote:Thanks! I will try to be careful, I'm aware of my tendency of trying to learn too many languages at once.

What are you using to learn Egyptian?

Some of that is tongue-in-cheek as well, I can only resist new things now because it would mean dropping one of the (too many) I'm working on now.

Like Hebrew, Arabic isn't a priority for me, so I've gotten up to lesson 10 on languagetransfer; I've also got the (old version) Michel Thomas method courses, which I'll probably do next. I'm still working on the alphabet, using memrise, so I can't do anything that's not just audio yet.
1 x

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt

Postby JohannaNYC » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:09 pm

LadyGrey1986 wrote:Welcome Johanna!

Thanks LadyGrey!

So I just got an email from Glossika announcing that their Egyptian Arabic course will be released next week. To say that I'm super excited is an understatement, as I've been waiting for that course for way over a year :D :D :D (we need a jumping up and down emoji).
0 x
Corrections welcomed!

Return to “Study Groups”