Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Re: Team Middle East

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Saim wrote:How's everyone else?

tamam. Taman kako treba :D

I stared writing a blog on Levantine Arabic a couple of days ago. I'm not gonna make any money off of it and I'm gonna use it as my online notebook since I keep misplacing or losing my physical ones, so I figured it'd be OK to post dictionary entries, verb conjugations with examples sentences and grammar explanations from various books. How thoughtful of me after having downloaded gigabytes of stuff for free.

I'm watching a couple of TV shows in Levantine Arabic right now, and every time I'm able to understand 5 or more lines of dialogue in a row I'll post a new "Mini Lesson". I'll cut the audio and upload it, along with a transcript of the dialogue, a translation, some grammar explanations and a vocab list. The better my Arabic gets, the more lessons I'll have on the blog.
2 x
How yes no.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:57 pm

How's everyone doing in their langauges?

I've had a few changes about how I'm approaching each, but I think I'm satisfied - Ancient Hebrew is coming back pretty quickly (wow I remember a lot of vocabulary, I thought I'd forgotten most of it), even if I'm still struggling with Modern, and I can finally (sort of, sounding out) read Arabic, so I'm making a bit of progress there as well.
0 x

Meera
White Belt
Languages: Hindi/Urdu (Advanced), Arabic (Intermediate). Japanese (Beginner), Bengali (Beginner)

Postby Meera » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Can I join for Arabic?

By the way is there a South Asian team for Hindi/Urdu?
2 x

Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Postby Zireael » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Sorry for dropping off the face of the Earth, job got in the way! I promise I'll be back with my MSA sometime soon!
0 x

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Postby JohannaNYC » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:11 pm

I've been making great progress in Egyptian Arabic in the past few months, in great part thanks to the Glossika course that finally came out right before the New Year. I'm following the 9-month Glossika plan which helps me stick to a schedule and also gives me plenty of time to continue with Rocket Arabic and Lingualism's ECA Vocabulary, as well as working with an italki tutor.

If all goes according to plan I should be B2 (or close) in Egyptian by September and will start MSA around that time. That's IF I can stick to the current schedule. I'm getting major Maltese wanderlust. So far I've managed to resist, but I do spend a lot of time looking for available resources for it and I'm thinking that time could easily be used to learn the basics od the language.

Has anyone's language goals changed? Or are we all sticking to a plan?
0 x
Corrections welcomed!

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Just a quick note.

I am alive and working on Hebrew - found two italki tutors that I'm using on the weekly and continue with Assimil. Still in the A0 something level but building.

My Arabic alphabet application is going slowly. Should finish it in the next weeks.

I hope you are all hitting your goals and enjoying yourselves.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

CurlySue
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (advanced fluency), Japanese (JLPT N2), Spanish (intermediate), Hebrew (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5609

Postby CurlySue » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:03 pm

New Hebrew learner here.
Last edited by CurlySue on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
: 3 / 16 Pimsleur Conversational Hebrew
: 2 / 9 Hebrew: A Language Course 1
: 0 / 10Hebrew: A Language Course 2
: 0 / 12Hebrew: A Language Course 3
: 4 / 500 Hebrew Comprehensible Input (500 Hours)

lemonzy
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Russian (C1), Italian (B1),
Hungarian (A2)

Postby lemonzy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:10 am

Hello! I'll be joining the team as I learn MSA & Levantine Arabic together. Let's see how well this turns out :)
2 x

ancient forest
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Classical and Standard Arabic (advanced), Levantine Arabic (low-intermediate)

Postby ancient forest » Thu May 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi, I would like to join the team. I am currently using native materials for Classical Arabic, but I am using courses to learn newspaper Arabic and Levantine Arabic. I am interested in other Middle Eastern languages too. Maybe I can give Persian another shot or start a new language like Biblical Hebrew.
1 x
Arabic
: 6 / 50 Speaking Arabic: A Course in Conversational Eastern Arabic

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Postby JohannaNYC » Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 am

Welcome to the team Ancient Forest!

The Lingua Franca Challenge on FB just selected MSA as the language to learn for the next 6 months. So it looks like I'll be starting MSA sooner than expected, while continuing with Egyptian of course. I'm looking for some recommendations. I already have Assimil and Living Langage Ultimate Arabic. Has anyone used those before? If so, what did you think?
1 x
Corrections welcomed!

Return to “Study Groups”