“Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 am

I've left Assimil and started watching the Kuulostaa hyvältä series - has anyone else here used that resource?
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby Chung » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:07 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I've left Assimil and started watching the Kuulostaa hyvältä series - has anyone else here used that resource?

I used it although I was an advanced beginner by then. I also got the textbooks so could do the exercises, and read the transcripts and notes on grammar. I tracked my progress with the course on my log at HTLAL starting here, and every week or two, I'd put a new entry with a few comments on the chapter just completed. I quite liked the course, although my background in the language (not to mention my small library of Finnish reference books) led to my recognizing a lot of the vocabulary as well as being able to grasp the explanations of grammar fairly readily. People using this course on their own without this background might find progressing through the course to be tougher sledding.

If you don't have the books but just the transcripts to which I linked in this post, then the best uses of the videos are for comprehension, shadowing or even as dictation exercises.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Ah, of course! I should have expected a reply from you. I'll have a look at the old thread.

My current approach: I watch the video, watch (or listen to) it again while reading the dialogue, I read the grammar explanations (so far, not too difficult), listen to the dialogue again (for comprehension), and then maybe watch it one or two times more. I shadow the video clip, and read along/aloud to the audio clip.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm

I'd be willing to spend money on a book that's just hundreds of pages of exercises (with answers). I feel I need to grind on this for a bit.
0 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:30 pm

I did not realise this thread had gotten so long! I recently noticed that a friend of an acquaintance of mine had put all of her lessons in one place, (I also did not realise how many she had completed already) so I figured I would share here in case it had not been shared already. I had a quick look through but did not feel like combing the entire thread, so apologies if it has already been shared.

https://www.duolingo.com/comment/10579104
http://www.memrise.com/course/1168629/s ... d-lessons/

Keep in mind that these are intended for beginners, initially they were created for a small group of friends. I do not know how often it is updated, but I believe it may have been yesterday, so that is promising at least.
3 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:59 pm

I peeked at a few memrise lesssons, and yeah, I can passively read all that, but not so confident of my ability to type it back in correctly. Will give it a shot this weekend.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:35 am

Still hitting clozemaster pretty hard. For the commute this works better, since with memrise on the phone, typing is such a pain. Some of these are interesting.

"Seuraavana päivänä meillä kaikilla oli kauhea krapula."

Hmm, google translate knows this. Krapula for hangover? New one to me.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:43 am

cathrynm wrote:Still hitting clozemaster pretty hard. For the commute this works better, since with memrise on the phone, typing is such a pain. Some of these are interesting.

I'm just excited that I was able to understand that sentence except for the last word, but you'd given us that one.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
cathrynm wrote:Still hitting clozemaster pretty hard. For the commute this works better, since with memrise on the phone, typing is such a pain. Some of these are interesting.

I'm just excited that I was able to understand that sentence except for the last word, but you'd given us that one.

The word krapula always reminds me of this song here. Unfortunately I couldn't find any other video, but I think you'll get the idea.
2 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:38 pm

tiia wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

The word krapula always reminds me of this song here. Unfortunately I couldn't find any other video, but I think you'll get the idea.

Haha, I am guessing that was definitely during Juhannus >_<

I was actually going to say that I learnt "Krapula" through this song: Unelmia ja Toimistohommia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFEpNctW28M
I think this song is probably one of the best reasons not to get a hangover on a Monday morning. (user discretion pertaining lyrics).

ps. I should stop visiting this thread, my wanderlust is tingling.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”