“Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
sans-serif
White Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), English, Swedish, German

I'm currently learning Japanese and improving my Swedish and German.

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby sans-serif » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:05 pm

Onneksi olkoon BrunUgle!

Kuuntelin sinun ja rdearmanin äänitteet ja minusta molempia oli helppo ymmärtää. Hyvää työtä!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby rdearman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:08 pm

sans-serif wrote:Onneksi olkoon BrunUgle!

Kuuntelin sinun ja rdearmanin äänitteet ja minusta molempia oli helppo ymmärtää. Hyvää työtä!

Kiitos!
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:09 pm

sans-serif wrote:Onneksi olkoon BrunUgle!

Kiitos. And thank goodness for google translate. That was a little above my level.
0 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Yuurei wrote:Paivää. Nimeni on Inigo Montoya. Sinä tapoit isäni. Valmistaudu kuolemaan.
En, mä oon sun isäsi.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:23 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Here's my spoken version of the homework (my self-introduction). I tried to use colloquial language. Sorry about the low volume. I was trying to speak loudly and had the microphone right by my mouth. I don't know why it doesn't record well. My mother has never complained that she can't hear me on Skype, so the microphone works, just not for recording. Or maybe it's just that I get nervous doing recordings and don't talk as loud as I think I do.

Anyway, I'll do a written version later in standard Finnish, but I wanted to see if anyone could even understand me speaking. I know I have a lot to work on, especially my nerves. :oops:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0IccG38dTAV

Here's my written version in standard Finnish:

Moi. Hyvää päivää. Nimeni on Janice. Minä olen syntynyt Amerikassa, mutta asun nyt Norjassa. Olen työssa verohallituksessa. Puhun englantia, norjaa ja spanjaa, ja opin saksaa, esperantoa, japania ja suomea. Minä olen 43 ja tänään on minun syntymäpäiväni. Hei hei!

I think maybe I should have said opiskelen instead of opin, but .... close enough.
2 x

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Hyvää päivää! Nimeni on Anna. Olen Venäjältä. Olen biologiko. Biologin ammatti on mielenkiintoinen. Asu Ranskassa.
1 x

lorinth
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N) Walloon (N). Currently focussing on ZH. Studied EN, LA, NL, FI, ES to varying degrees of disappointment.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=728

Postby lorinth » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:38 am

Moi! Minä olen Lorint, olen belgialainen. Asun Brysselissä. Aiemmin opiskelin suomea mutta olen unohtanut paljon.

@Brun Ugle, hyvää syntymäpäivää.

I've discovered this thread recently, just at a time when I was toying with the idea of restarting some Finnish. Thanks to you all: now I'm almost ready to do just that. I'm not sure I could be an active member of the group (if that's at all possible) and I'm not sure I'll go very far in my endeavour to relearn the language, for two reasons: (1) I've already failed at such an attempt and (2) Mandarin remains my priority

I've kept all my textbooks in a box and some audio files in a corner of my hard drive, so I have enough material to start working. I'll be using Assimil (French version - oops I'm disqualified for the "extra Mühe" part) though I don't own the audio files, unfortunately.

As part of the thread was about the motivations to learn Finnish and as it seems important to have a reasonnably clear idea about that to keep the motivation, here are my own reasons in no particular order:

- When I was actively studying the language, I went to Finland for several short stays and I really liked the country (even in the winter...)
- The language itself is beautiful and fascinating
- For me, it's linked to very fond memories: I met my wife because we were both learning Finnish
- I like the literature but, unfortunately, even when I was studying actively, I never reached a level where I could enjoy it in the original Finnish - I read a few good translations though. Reading the original could be an interesting goal. My quixotic goal would be the Kalevala: now, there's a fascinating book. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the language used in there is sooooo hugely different from contemporary Finnish that one might consider it as yet another finno-ugrian unbreakable secret code (BTW I wonder if a contemporary native speaker of Finnish can open the Kalevala and, just like that, start enjoying it - I have the same question for Mandarin speakers and, say, 浮生六記, an 18th century novel written in classical Chinese).

Anyway, I just wanted to say "moi!" and "kiitos for the inspiration!".

Onnea!
2 x
Gu Long's 陸小鳳傳奇 : 40 / 100
Rouzer's A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese : 9 / 40
Le finnois sans peine : 18 / 100
Tavataan Taas 2 : 12 / 30

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:07 am

Vedun wrote:
Yuurei wrote:Paivää. Nimeni on Inigo Montoya. Sinä tapoit isäni. Valmistaudu kuolemaan.
En, mä oon sun isäsi.

Se ei ole totta. Se on mahdotonta!
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:27 am

lorinth wrote:Moi! Minä olen Lorint, olen belgialainen. Asun Brysselissä. Aiemmin opiskelin suomea mutta olen unohtanut paljon.

@Brun Ugle, hyvää syntymäpäivää.

I've discovered this thread recently, just at a time when I was toying with the idea of restarting some Finnish. Thanks to you all: now I'm almost ready to do just that. I'm not sure I could be an active member of the group (if that's at all possible) and I'm not sure I'll go very far in my endeavour to relearn the language, for two reasons: (1) I've already failed at such an attempt and (2) Mandarin remains my priority

I've kept all my textbooks in a box and some audio files in a corner of my hard drive, so I have enough material to start working. I'll be using Assimil (French version - oops I'm disqualified for the "extra Mühe" part) though I don't own the audio files, unfortunately.

As part of the thread was about the motivations to learn Finnish and as it seems important to have a reasonnably clear idea about that to keep the motivation, here are my own reasons in no particular order:

- When I was actively studying the language, I went to Finland for several short stays and I really liked the country (even in the winter...)
- The language itself is beautiful and fascinating
- For me, it's linked to very fond memories: I met my wife because we were both learning Finnish
- I like the literature but, unfortunately, even when I was studying actively, I never reached a level where I could enjoy it in the original Finnish - I read a few good translations though. Reading the original could be an interesting goal. My quixotic goal would be the Kalevala: now, there's a fascinating book. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the language used in there is sooooo hugely different from contemporary Finnish that one might consider it as yet another finno-ugrian unbreakable secret code (BTW I wonder if a contemporary native speaker of Finnish can open the Kalevala and, just like that, start enjoying it - I have the same question for Mandarin speakers and, say, 浮生六記, an 18th century novel written in classical Chinese).

Anyway, I just wanted to say "moi!" and "kiitos for the inspiration!".

Onnea!

Tervetuloa! I'll put you on the list if you want. Just let me know. You can join in as much or as little as you want. Most of us are busy with other languages and other activities, and Finnish is just a little side project. So, there's no need to worry about keeping up. We're just having fun. Some people are only in it to see what it's all about and some hope to learn actually learn Finnish to a high level. All are welcome though.
0 x

sans-serif
White Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), English, Swedish, German

I'm currently learning Japanese and improving my Swedish and German.

Postby sans-serif » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:53 pm

My quixotic goal would be the Kalevala: now, there's a fascinating book. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the language used in there is sooooo hugely different from contemporary Finnish that one might consider it as yet another finno-ugrian unbreakable secret code (BTW I wonder if a contemporary native speaker of Finnish can open the Kalevala and, just like that, start enjoying it - I have the same question for Mandarin speakers and, say, 浮生六記, an 18th century novel written in classical Chinese).

I'd expect most adult native speakers to be able to enjoy Kalevala just fine. That's not to say they would understand every word and turn of phrase perfectly---there are lots of words in it that are as obscure to me now as they were when I was a six-year-old---but those never were an obstacle to my enjoyment of the book. As I recall, the tricky bits are almost never essential to the story and the repetitive style of the work often makes it easy to guess your way through them.

As for how difficult it would be for an L2 learner to read Kalevala, I'm hardly the right person to ask. I'd be very interested to hear if Serpent or some of the other advanced non-native speakers have tried their hand at it.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”