“Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
missreadalot
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N), German (beginner), Spanish (just started), Russian (just started)

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby missreadalot » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:29 pm

So the lovely Elenia has decided to rope me into this and so I will therefore be joining you on 1 September. I will be attempting to learn Finnish through German, even though my German is negligible. But I do love a challenge.
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby Elenia » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:05 pm

missreadalot wrote:So the lovely Elenia has decided to rope me into this and so I will therefore be joining you on 1 September. I will be attempting to learn Finnish through German, even though my German is negligible. But I do love a challenge.

For the record, I'm pretty sure missreadalot is the only person I didn't rope in! She roped herself!!
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:22 pm

missreadalot wrote:So the lovely Elenia has decided to rope me into this and so I will therefore be joining you on 1 September. I will be attempting to learn Finnish through German, even though my German is negligible. But I do love a challenge.

Welcome aboard! This is getting very exciting. I never thought there'd be so many of us. Yuurei is going to have to stay up all night baking before the Gathering.

My German is pretty limited too. I mostly just cheat by recognizing words that are similar to Norwegian. I imagine your Afrikaans will give you a good boost too.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:14 pm

Elenia wrote:

For the record, I'm pretty sure missreadalot is the only person I didn't rope in! She roped herself!!

Good job, Elenia!
(yesss,let them think it was their idea,great work Padawan)

And welcome aboard, Missreadalot! Our plane shall take off soon.
Fasten your seatbelt, many turbulences are expected!
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Woooohhhh woooohhhh woooohhh... Hold up! Not only do you have to learn Finnish in less than a year, you have to do it while using a German textbook?!?!?

Damn your drunk tests are hard!

7 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:12 pm

rdearman wrote:Woooohhhh woooohhhh woooohhh... Hold up! Not only do you have to learn Finnish in less than a year, you have to do it while using a German textbook?!?!?

No, of course not, don't be silly. You can also use the French version, if you prefer. :lol:
6 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:36 am

Yuurei wrote:
rdearman wrote:Woooohhhh woooohhhh woooohhh... Hold up! Not only do you have to learn Finnish in less than a year, you have to do it while using a German textbook?!?!?

No, of course not, don't be silly. You can also use the French version, if you prefer. :lol:

Yes, that would be very good practice for your French. Didn't you say that you were lazy and liked to learn by reading books? So, you can learn French by reading a book about learning Finnish. And then you'd end up learning two languages at once. What could be more "Lazy Fist" than that?
5 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 am

Cavesa wrote:Good job, Elenia!
(yesss,let them think it was their idea,great work Padawan)

I just happened to mention my future language plans, that I was learning in an open group and - 'oh, you want to join? It's really easy, I'll show you how!'

Also, update: we bought our coursebook :mrgreen: (we're sharing because we are poor)
2 x

missreadalot
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N), German (beginner), Spanish (just started), Russian (just started)

Postby missreadalot » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Yes, that would be very good practice for your French. Didn't you say that you were lazy and liked to learn by reading books? So, you can learn French by reading a book about learning Finnish. And then you'd end up learning two languages at once. What could be more "Lazy Fist" than that?

That's exactly my plan for improving my German.
1 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:35 pm

Found something to put y'all into the right mood:
http://depressingfinland.tumblr.com/pos ... -difficult

:lol:
3 x

Return to “Study Groups”