“Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby Elenia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:39 pm

BTW - Happy belated, Brun!
1 x

lorinth
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N) Walloon (N). Currently focussing on ZH. Studied EN, LA, NL, FI, ES to varying degrees of disappointment.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=728

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby lorinth » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:16 pm

As for how difficult it would be for an L2 learner to read Kalevala...

Back when I was studying Finnish with some regularity, I had bought the (very nice) French version of the Kalevala and, while I was in Jyväskylä, I'd bought a Finnish version. Even when placing both books side by side, I couldn't understand much in the original. I had the impression that the morphology - which is of course an all important factor in Finnish - was very different from what I'd painstakingly learnt. Probably I did not try hard enough :oops: Anyway, even contemporary literature was mostly beyond my grasp :lol:

BTW, I updated my log with some Finnish related info.
3 x
Gu Long's 陸小鳳傳奇 : 40 / 100
Rouzer's A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese : 9 / 40
Le finnois sans peine : 18 / 100
Tavataan Taas 2 : 12 / 30

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:04 pm

It looks (especially on some logs, like my silent one) that we are losing part of the initial drive. I certainly did, for a time. Life interfered with my plans again (there is a nice saying, I don't know from where anymore: "God is laughing everytime a man makes plans"). But as I was not too far, I am gonna review the beginnings first and then continue. I can still complete the passive 50 lessons by the end of the year!

And I am gonna write this time. Writing (even if I don't read the results much afterwards, or perhaps never) works great for my language learning. Rewriting the dialogues, using some colours to fight all the vocab, grammar,pronunciation points, that should be awesome.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:30 pm

Cavesa wrote:It looks (especially on some logs, like my silent one) that we are losing part of the initial drive. I certainly did, for a time. Life interfered with my plans again (there is a nice saying, I don't know from where anymore: "God is laughing everytime a man makes plans"). But as I was not too far, I am gonna review the beginnings first and then continue. I can still complete the passive 50 lessons by the end of the year!

And I am gonna write this time. Writing (even if I don't read the results much afterwards, or perhaps never) works great for my language learning. Rewriting the dialogues, using some colours to fight all the vocab, grammar,pronunciation points, that should be awesome.

the best-laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft a-gley.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:53 am

Cavesa wrote:Life interfered with my plans again

No, it didn't. Your plans tried to interfere with life, and they failed again.
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:39 pm

Cavesa wrote:It looks (especially on some logs, like my silent one) that we are losing part of the initial drive. I certainly did, for a time. Life interfered with my plans again (there is a nice saying, I don't know from where anymore: "God is laughing everytime a man makes plans"). But as I was not too far, I am gonna review the beginnings first and then continue. I can still complete the passive 50 lessons by the end of the year!

Cavesa! Good to see you again! :D
Us? Lose drive? Never! :roll:

I think you're most likely right on the matter of making plans, but I just can't stop myself from making them. XD
1 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Just in case you didn't already know, Yle provides news in simple language. You should be able to understand something even if you're still early in your studies. Definitely helps seeing your progress.
And yeah, I also lost steam. Maybe not having myself maintain regular or even any updates on my log has something to do with it.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Status report - I have NOT given up, I just took a necessary break. I started reviewing the old lessons a few days ago and it feels good to be back. I did lesson 11 and 12 earlier today. (Le Finnois sans Peine in case anyone wonders)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:33 pm

I haven't given up either, although I seemed to have given up on updates. I've started my second set of Anki cards based on the second lego movie. I haven't updated my signature, but will do soon. I'm planning to get back on the Assimil. I had to take a road trip for work up to Leeds, so I listened to the first 10 Assimil lessons on repeat for an hour or two. I've forgotten what most of it meant, but useful still I think. I haven't listened to or watched the Exicted about Finnish, the guy's pronunciation was getting on my nerves.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm also still on the pain plane, just having a Swedish stop over. All my language learning energy has to go to Swedish now. Hopefully I'll be recovered enough by this time next week to hit Finnish hard. Or maybe by this time next month, it all depends on how horrible it is.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”