Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
sans-serif
White Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), English, Swedish, German

I'm currently learning Japanese and improving my Swedish and German.

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby sans-serif » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:53 am

Hallåj! I'm interested in joining the next round of the Nordic book club. Have we decided on a book yet? Apparently a lot people have had trouble finding Universums Änglar in their target language. Two libraries near me seem to have a copy of it.
0 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:30 pm

The second season of Bedrag is being broadcasted now :)
https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/bedrag/bedrag-ii-1-10
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:43 am

sans-serif wrote:Hallåj! I'm interested in joining the next round of the Nordic book club. Have we decided on a book yet? Apparently a lot people have had trouble finding Universums Änglar in their target language. Two libraries near me seem to have a copy of it.

I'm really not certain what's up with the book club. It may be that people are not that enthusiastic about the book (I think it's only one person who had trouble finding it?), so if that's the case maybe we should think about something else.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:52 am

Soffía wrote:
sans-serif wrote:Hallåj! I'm interested in joining the next round of the Nordic book club. Have we decided on a book yet? Apparently a lot people have had trouble finding Universums Änglar in their target language. Two libraries near me seem to have a copy of it.

I'm really not certain what's up with the book club. It may be that people are not that enthusiastic about the book (I think it's only one person who had trouble finding it?), so if that's the case maybe we should think about something else.

I don't think a start date was ever set. It's probably just a matter of setting a date and starting a thread. Then people will start to show up.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Soffía wrote:

I don't think a start date was ever set. It's probably just a matter of setting a date and starting a thread. Then people will start to show up.

Yes, I think that was the main problem, rather than a lack of enthusiasm. I think I said I would create the thread, but I don't think I will have the time to keep it up anymore :/
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:01 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I don't think a start date was ever set. It's probably just a matter of setting a date and starting a thread. Then people will start to show up.

^Probably this. I'm not fan of buying books to read once (can't sell my current books) but I found one copy of the Danish edition in the Swedish library system. It's at the Nobel Library of the Swedish Academy but I believe they participate in the Swedish library lending network so I'll get it for a small fee. When you decide on a date, I'll reach out to my local library to see if it's available.

There's also a movie based on the book: IMDb
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:26 pm

This might be of interest. Tuva Novotny is a Swedish actress fluent in Swedish, Danish and Norwegian as well as several other languages. Last year her Danish movie Krigen was submitted to the Oscars and this year they'll submit her Norweigan movie Kongens nei. The second one is said to be great but I haven't seen it yet.

In the video below (from NRK) she reads a short excerpt from Three Billy Goats Gruff while switching seamlessly between the nordic languages. It's not ideal due to all the laughing and more for fun but it's still a nice display of the languages.

4 x

Soffía
Green Belt

Postby Soffía » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:44 am

OK. If everyone is all right with it, then I'll create a schedule and start a thread. I didn't want to overstep but I'm happy to do that. (Maybe this weekend.)
5 x

Soffía
Green Belt

Postby Soffía » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:39 pm

I've started a book club thread! Thanks for the push, everyone.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4677
3 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Since this isn't a TAC group, it's going to keep going, right? Count me in for getting started in Swedish and with plans for Danish (yeah, and reading this whole thing has made me think fondly of some others as well...)
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”