Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Expugnator » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:43 pm

It's not available as an ebook in Norwegian, but then I still have Odinsbarn to finish. I'd be glad to read it in Icelandic one day ;)
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:42 am

Elenia wrote:It sadly doesn't seem to be available in Swedish as andreipleite said, but if everyone else can get hold of a copy then I think the book club should go ahead :)

As for the pace thing - I suggest an end date with Brun Ugle specifically in mind, as she has said before that the week-by-week format of book clubs doesn't really suit her. That being said, as you have thought out a time frame ahead of time, I don't see why it can't be done both ways, with a group reading week by week and then with those who want to read through it in one go joining in at the end to share overall impressions? How does that sound?

It's my fault?! :o :oops: Well, any books I get from the library, I try to read before they're due back. And I do find a book is usually easier to read and holds my interest better if I read relatively quickly. (Nonetheless, I'm still behind on Tintenherz. I'm closing in though.)
0 x

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:33 am

daegga wrote:Surprisingly it's even available on amazon.de as kindle ebook (in Icelandic)

Yes, Forlagið, the big Icelandic publisher, started putting their catalogue on Amazon as ebooks last year. It's really fantastic - although I must admit that I'm still ordering paper books from them! They do deliver very quickly as well.

Elenia wrote:It sadly doesn't seem to be available in Swedish as andreipleite said, but if everyone else can get hold of a copy then I think the book club should go ahead :)

I'm still shocked and a bit sad that it isn't available in Swedish. I hope that there are other options for andrepleite, like finding a used copy, or maybe trying to read it in Norwegian?

Having said that, I'm happy to try to think of other options. The only literature I can think of that is really likely to exist in all the Nordic languages are the Icelandic sagas and the Eddas.

As for the pace thing - I suggest an end date with Brun Ugle specifically in mind, as she has said before that the week-by-week format of book clubs doesn't really suit her. That being said, as you have thought out a time frame ahead of time, I don't see why it can't be done both ways, with a group reading week by week and then with those who want to read through it in one go joining in at the end to share overall impressions? How does that sound?

I think that makes perfect sense and should, I hope, end up suiting everyone. It will be good to have a reason at the end to reflect.

I'm happy to go with whatever start/end dates suit the rest of the group. Anything will work for me.
0 x

caam_imt
White Belt
Languages: Español (MX)

English (C1)
Suomi (C1)
Deutsch (~B1?)
Svenska (~A2-B1?)
日本語 (~A1?)

Postby caam_imt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:00 am

Hi everyone, I was supposed to participate in this group a long time ago but I got really busy with other stuff. Now I think I have the time for some Swedish :). I found a copy of "Universums änglar" at my library, so if the group decides to go with this one, then it would suit me perfectly.
1 x

andrepleite
White Belt
Languages: German (N)
English (not as good as I want it to be)
Swedish (~B1)
Spanish (Beginner)

One day (again): Danish, Faroese, Icelandic, Turkish, Esperanto, Korean, Russian, Bahasa Indonesia, Hindi

Postby andrepleite » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 pm

I'm still shocked and a bit sad that it isn't available in Swedish. I hope that there are other options for andrepleite, like finding a used copy, or maybe trying to read it in Norwegian?

Haven't found used copies yet. I also thought about trying to read it in Norwegian or Danish. But then again, I already own a copy in German (Engel des Universums) and I want to start with Faroese next year. So maybe Faroese is also an option :D . Though I'm not sure if that wouldn't be too time consuming.
0 x
"Der Mensch erschuf die Sprache und überlegte Schriftzeichen und am Ende dieser Kette schrieb er für die BILD-Zeitung." -Danger Dan-

Soffía
Green Belt

Postby Soffía » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:41 pm

andrepleite wrote:

Haven't found used copies yet. I also thought about trying to read it in Norwegian or Danish. But then again, I already own a copy in German (Engel des Universums) and I want to start with Faroese next year. So maybe Faroese is also an option :D . Though I'm not sure if that wouldn't be too time consuming.

It does sound like you have options! I actually nearly bought a copy in Faroese myself when I was in the Faroes last weekend. Probably best I didn't. It's available from Sprotin and looks like it might even be possible to buy as an ebook: http://sprotin.fo/?p=products&_sp=produ ... ductId=370
2 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

Postby Ketutar » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:19 pm

there is this site: http://1000mostcommonwords.com/ and it gives a list also in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Icelandic... and I have some problems with those lists... firstly, there's no explanation where the blogger got these words. Secondly, they are the same for all these languages. Thirdly, I'm not at all sure of that the words actually mean what they are said to mean... it looks more like someone took a list of words and translated them on Google Translate.
But - word 19. is "hot", which is said to be something similar in the other languages, but in Norwegian it's "varm". Even google translate doesn't give any other option. Is it "varm" or "het"?
0 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

Soffía
Green Belt

Postby Soffía » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Ketutar wrote:there is this site: http://1000mostcommonwords.com/ and it gives a list also in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Icelandic... and I have some problems with those lists... firstly, there's no explanation where the blogger got these words. Secondly, they are the same for all these languages. Thirdly, I'm not at all sure of that the words actually mean what they are said to mean... it looks more like someone took a list of words and translated them on Google Translate.
But - word 19. is "hot", which is said to be something similar in the other languages, but in Norwegian it's "varm". Even google translate doesn't give any other option. Is it "varm" or "het"?

That looks like a very unreliable list to me, and the Icelandic translations are certainly not good. Having said that, Google Translate is not terribly good either. An online Norwegian dictionary seems to give both options: http://www.norskengelskordbok.com/en/di ... nglish/het

(In Icelandic "heitur" is hot and "varma" is warm, for what it's worth.)
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:15 pm

We would generally say "varm" in Norwegian. I've almost never heard "het" used, certainly not in talking about everyday things like weather, water, stoves, etc.

There might be differences in other parts of Norway though. I'm mostly familiar with central Norway. However, my dictionary doesn't seem to use "het" that way either, so I would say, go with "varm."
2 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

Postby Ketutar » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:58 am

Brun Ugle wrote:We would generally say "varm" in Norwegian. I've almost never heard "het" used, certainly not in talking about everyday things like weather, water, stoves, etc.

There might be differences in other parts of Norway though. I'm mostly familiar with central Norway. However, my dictionary doesn't seem to use "het" that way either, so I would say, go with "varm."

That's interesting... so... what is the difference between luke warm and scalding hot water?
0 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

Return to “Study Groups”