Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Ug_Caveman » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:23 pm

tungemål wrote:Anyone studying Swedish?

I have a tip. There's an epic new TV-series on the history of Sweden. So if you're interested in history and in practicing Swedish...

It can be watched for free on SVT online, also abroad.

I'm learning many new Swedish words.

Funnily enough I'm currently in the process of digitising the cassette audio from Hugo Swedish in Three Months... Although won't be studying it full time for a little while.
1 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

dubendorf
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (beginner), Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20113

Postby dubendorf » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:49 pm

Looks like the Nordic team is a quiet thread. Anyone else still learning Norwegian here? Curious what books/courses others have used. The Linguaphone course from the 1960s is my favorite one so far. :D
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:29 am

dubendorf wrote:Looks like the Nordic team is a quiet thread. Anyone else still learning Norwegian here? Curious what books/courses others have used. The Linguaphone course from the 1960s is my favorite one so far. :D

Hi dubendorf,

I continue to study Norwegian, albeit at quite a slow and steady pace, often with breaks, unfortunately.

Near the latter pages of my log you'll find a list of courses. I'm currently trickling through the later chapters of The Mystery of Nils.

PM

PS Despite my overly zealous attitude towards completing a ton of Norwegian courses, I've only completed a bunch of straightforward audio courses and dabbled with the earlier chapters of these courses: Learn Norwegian by Sverre Klouman, Assimil Le norvégien, Ny i Norge (the 1990 edition), Le norvégien en 20 leçons by J. Renaud & M. Buscall, Beginner's Norwegian by Laura Ziukaite-Hansen and Hugo Norwegian in Three Months. That is until I zoned in on one of my 'dabbled courses' and decided to work through it to the end of is, as mentioned above, The Mystery of Nils.
2 x

dubendorf
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (beginner), Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20113

Postby dubendorf » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:55 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
dubendorf wrote:Looks like the Nordic team is a quiet thread. Anyone else still learning Norwegian here? Curious what books/courses others have used. The Linguaphone course from the 1960s is my favorite one so far. :D

Hi dubendorf,

I continue to study Norwegian, albeit at quite a slow and steady pace, often with breaks, unfortunately.

Near the latter pages of my log you'll find a list of courses. I'm currently trickling through the later chapters of The Mystery of Nils.

PM

PS Despite my overly zealous attitude towards completing a ton of Norwegian courses, I've only completed a bunch of straightforward audio courses and dabbled with the earlier chapters of these courses: Learn Norwegian by Sverre Klouman, Assimil Le norvégien, Ny i Norge (the 1990 edition), Le norvégien en 20 leçons by J. Renaud & M. Buscall, Beginner's Norwegian by Laura Ziukaite-Hansen and Hugo Norwegian in Three Months. That is until I zoned in on one of my 'dabbled courses' and decided to work through it to the end of is, as mentioned above, The Mystery of Nils.

Cheers! Thanks for the list. That's quite comprehensive.

I am also working through The Mystery of Nils. Was using the online course, but now putting it on pause until a physical copy arrives in the mail. Looking forward to finishing Linguaphone, Nils, and Pimsleur in the next two months before moving onto something else.

Lykke til!
1 x
Linguaphone Norsk Kurs: 31 / 50
Pimsleur Norwegian Level 1: 23 / 30
Pimsleur Norwegian Level 2: 0 / 30
The Mystery of Nils: 8 / 26
Mysteriet om Nils: 0 / 17

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:19 pm

Swedish birthday cake superstition?

I was watching a Swedish whodunnit earlier. In a birthday party scene, after cutting the birthday cake, the lady who cut the cake said "that means you'll get married", and then after cutting a slice for someone else "no marriage for you".

Does this ring any bells for anyone?
1 x

Tumlare
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Swedish (B2+, main focus)
German (dabbling; goal: A1 by August)

Studied in the past but can no longer speak: French, Japanese, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19877

Postby Tumlare » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:25 pm

DaveAgain wrote:Swedish birthday cake superstition?

I was watching a Swedish whodunnit earlier. In a birthday party scene, after cutting the birthday cake, the lady who cut the cake said "that means you'll get married", and then after cutting a slice for someone else "no marriage for you".

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

I haven't come across that one yet but I did find this webpage that seems to suggest it has to do with the cake slice falling over: http://www.misi.se/?p=5992
2 x
: 1816 / 5000 5000 page Swedish reading challenge
: 123 / 172 Swedish podcast P3 Historia episodes
: 79 / 79 Next Steps in German with Paul Noble

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pm

Did Peter Høeg invent the name "Smilla", or did it already exist?

Behindthename.com says Mr Høeg invented it.
Invented by the Danish author Peter Høeg for the heroine of his novel Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (1992). In the book the name is explained as a short form of Smillaaraq, a blend of Danish smil "smile" and the Greenlandic name Miillaaraq.

---------
I'm curious because there's a Swedish athlete called Smilla Sundell who pops up in the sports news from time to time.:-)
1 x

Klara
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1),
B-ish: French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Italian
A-ish: Russian, Swedish, Latin, Polish, Portuguese

Postby Klara » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:04 pm

According to a Danish website - translated with DeepL:

The name Smilla was created by author Peter Høeg for the novel "Miss Smilla's Sense of Snow" from 1992
Smilla is derived from the Greenlandic word "Miillaaraq", which means to hum. The father in the novel changed it to "Smillaaraq" because the child smiled at him, and it was then shortened again to the name Smilla.

And on another site:
Smilla can also be a Polish Name
Smilla means: musical and creative
See also Smila, Smillah, Zmilla

But I could not find any connections with Polish in my dicitionaries ... and online on Wikislownik it reads: Smilla (język szwedzki) - Smilla (Swedish language) ;)
2 x

Bigbri5050
Languages: Danish, Spanish French

Postby Bigbri5050 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:37 pm

Am new to this forum so this might be a silly question. Am I in the right place for an almost beginner, learning Danish?
2 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:50 pm

Bigbri5050 wrote:Am new to this forum so this might be a silly question. Am I in the right place for an almost beginner, learning Danish?

Absolutely! Or so the first page of this thread suggests.

You might also want to check out the Language Logs sub-forum and maybe start your own log. That's where a lot of the interesting stuff happens these days!
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”