Celtic Team - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Celtic Team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:51 pm

Montmorency wrote:BTW, I was surprised...well, shocked if I'm honest, to realise that Google Translate does not seem to support Irish very well (if at all). At least, I couldn't get it to translate people's Irish entries. Unless I was somehow using it incorrectly, and there is a way, would it be too much to ask for people to give English versions of their Irish entries here? Well, maybe not every time, but maybe just now and again? Thanks in advance!

Yeah. Google Translate is notoriously bad at Irish. It once translated "I am well" as Tá mé tobar - literally I am a well (except using the wrong verb to construct that type of sentence). That said, I'm surprised you couldn't use it to get at least the gist, as I do it sometimes when reading online stuff that I don't want to focus on too much or want to double check. But I'll certainly add mine in English for you!
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:05 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
Montmorency wrote:BTW, I was surprised...well, shocked if I'm honest, to realise that Google Translate does not seem to support Irish very well (if at all). At least, I couldn't get it to translate people's Irish entries. Unless I was somehow using it incorrectly, and there is a way, would it be too much to ask for people to give English versions of their Irish entries here? Well, maybe not every time, but maybe just now and again? Thanks in advance!

Yeah. Google Translate is notoriously bad at Irish. It once translated "I am well" as Tá mé tobar - literally I am a well (except using the wrong verb to construct that type of sentence). That said, I'm surprised you couldn't use it to get at least the gist, as I do it sometimes when reading online stuff that I don't want to focus on too much or want to double check. But I'll certainly add mine in English for you!

hmm...well, I've been tryingright-click->translate, within this thread, and by and large it just leaves it in Irish.
It couldn't even manage "Cú Chulainn". If I paste that into a tab with GT in it, I just get: "Cuchulainn".

It did actually manage to translate some of the book titles that people had mentioned, but I don't think I got anything out of people's Irish introductions. I'll go back and double-check though.

EDIT: Mae'n ddrwg gen i - I'm sorry ... Trying it again, I'm having better luck. Not sure what I'm doing different.

(However, it still can't manage: "Cú Chulainn", apparently).

EDIT2 It translates "Tá mé tobar" as "I am well" :-)
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Montmorency wrote:It couldn't even manage "Cú Chulainn". If I paste that into a tab with GT in it, I just get: "Cuchulainn".

That's likely all you'll get for that, since Cú Chulainn is a name. You might have better luck going to GT's website. I just did, and it was poor but mostly understandable.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).

Postby Montmorency » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:52 am

galaxyrocker wrote:
Montmorency wrote:It couldn't even manage "Cú Chulainn". If I paste that into a tab with GT in it, I just get: "Cuchulainn".

That's likely all you'll get for that, since Cú Chulainn is a name. You might have better luck going to GT's website. I just did, and it was poor but mostly understandable.

Ah right - bit like "Lugus" then. I'm not familiar with Irish legends and know zero Irish I'm afraid.

I should have just done a plain google on that one, which I now have, and am now better informed, if not wiser. :)
1 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Dúshlán Míosa Eanáir

Dia daoibh,

is mise Christian agus is Gearmánach mé. Tá mé i mo chónaí i dTübingen, baile beag sa nGearmáin Theas. Táimse i mo mhac léinn agus tá mé ag deanamh céim taighde sa gceoleolaíocht. Tá post páirtaimseartha agam freisin, mar atá an t-airgead uaim.

Tá mé ag foghlaim na Gaeilge le beagnach trí bliana anois agus is breá liom í. Níl mo chuid Gaeilge go han-mhaith, ach is maith liom á foghlaim. Bíonn an craic ann i gcónaí nuair a bhíonns mé ag leamh agus ag caint as Gaeilge! Thosaigh mé á foghlaim nuair a chuaigh mé go hÉirinn trí bliana ó shin. Chonaic mé Baile Átha Cliath agus Corcaigh agus thit mé i ngrá leis an tír agus a teanga shean. Is breá liom an ceol traidisiúnta na hÉireann freisin agus éistim leis go minic, go háirithe leis an sean-nós.

Tá súil agam go bhfoghlaimeoimid móran in éindí. Go n-éirí linn!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January Challenge

Hello,

my name is Christian and I'm German. I live in Tübingen, a little town in Southern Germany. I'm a student and I'm doing a research degree in musicology (I didn't know the exact translation for "PhD student/grad student"). I also have a part-time job, because I need the money.

I have been learning Irish for almost three years now and I love it. My Irish isn't very good, but I like learning it. It's always fun reading and talking in Irish! I started learning it when I went to Ireland three years ago. I saw Dublin and Cork and I fell in love with the country and its old language. I also love Irish traditional music and I often listen to it, especially the traditional songs.

I hope we'll learn a lot together. May we succeed!
5 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Postby Montmorency » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:05 am

@Josquin,

(Thanks for the translations, by the way).

I wasn't expecting too many similarities with Welsh to jump out at me, and they haven't :-) but one word I do notice is "go".

In Cymraeg, that means more or less "fairly", "pretty", "quite", used as an emphasiser.
It also occurs in set phrases, e.g. "go iawn" = "real" ("iawn" usually means "very").
"go brin" - "hardly", "rarely". ("prin"/"brin" = "rare").

From your translation, it seems that "go" might be used a bit like that in Irish, at least in some of the cases.

Also:
In "hÉireann", is the "h" before "Éireann" an example of mutation?

(In Welsh, "h" sometimes gets added to words beginning with vowels, although I couldn't tell you the rules offhand).
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:22 am

Montmorency wrote:Also:
In "hÉireann", is the "h" before "Éireann" an example of mutation?

Yep! It's an example of the h-prefix
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:01 am

It's present in "go han-mhaith" as well. Go adds an h to a word starting with a vowel (and to add some confusion, the modifying prefix an makes (most) following consonants soft by inserting the h after: an + maith =an-mhaith).
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:57 am

Montmorency wrote:I wasn't expecting too many similarities with Welsh to jump out at me, and they haven't :-) but one word I do notice is "go".

In Cymraeg, that means more or less "fairly", "pretty", "quite", used as an emphasiser.
It also occurs in set phrases, e.g. "go iawn" = "real" ("iawn" usually means "very").
"go brin" - "hardly", "rarely". ("prin"/"brin" = "rare").

From your translation, it seems that "go" might be used a bit like that in Irish, at least in some of the cases.

Well, from the top of my head, I can think of at least four different meanings of "go" in Irish:

1) A particle turning adjectives into adverbs: mall ("slow") --> go mall ("slowly"). This is also obligatory for some adjectives, when they're used with a form of "bí" (to be): Tá mé go maith. ("I am well"), with "maith" meaning "good".

2) A preposition meaning "to": Tá mé ag dul go Chorcaigh ("I'm going to Cork").

3) A conjunction meaning "that": Tá a fhios agam go bhfuil ceart agat ("I know that you are right").

4) A particle used with the subjunctive: Go n-éirí an bóthar leat ("Have a safe trip", literally: "May your road succeed").

I don't know if any of these concur with the Welsh usage. Maybe no. 1?

Montmorency wrote:In "hÉireann", is the "h" before "Éireann" an example of mutation?

(In Welsh, "h" sometimes gets added to words beginning with vowels, although I couldn't tell you the rules offhand).

Yes, Irish has two sets of mutations: lenition and eclipsis. Basically, lenition turns stops into fricatives by softening them, while eclipsis turns unvoiced sounds into voiced ones. The first is indicated by an "h" that's added after the lenited consonant (Corcaigh --> go Chorcaigh), while the latter is indicated by writing the mutated consonant in front of its unmutated counterpart (fuil --> go bhfuil, ceol --> sa gceol). In this case, only the first consonant is pronounced, the second one only serves as some kind of "reminder".

However, there are also some so-called "prefixes" in Irish, e.g. words beginning with an "s" get a "t" prefixed after the definite article in some cases (masculine nouns: genitive, feminine nouns: nominative): an sagart ("the priest") --> an tsagairt ("of the priest"). In this case, only the "t" is pronounced, the "s" only serves as a reminder.

Also, an "n" is prefixed to words beginning with a vowel after a word causing eclipsis: éirigh ("to succeed") --> go n-éirí leat ("may you succeed"), and an "h" is prefixed to feminine nouns beginning with a vowel after the definitive article in the genitive: Éire ("Ireland") --> na hÉireann ("of Ireland").

Sometimes, a mutation is the only way to distinguish the meaning of a word: a charr (lenition: "his car"), a carr (no mutation: "her car"), a gcarr (eclipsis: "their car"); a athair (no mutation: "his father"), a hathair (h-prefix: "her father"), a n-athair (eclipsis: "their father").

It think it's quite similar in Welsh, isn't it?
4 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Postby Montmorency » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Josquin wrote:Well, from the top of my head, I can think of at least four different meanings of "go" in Irish:

1) A particle turning adjectives into adverbs: mall ("slow") --> go mall ("slowly"). This is also obligatory for some adjectives, when they're used with a form of "bí" (to be): Tá mé go maith. ("I am well"), with "maith" meaning "good".

2) A preposition meaning "to": Tá mé ag dul go Chorcaigh ("I'm going to Cork").

3) A conjunction meaning "that": Tá a fhios agam go bhfuil ceart agat ("I know that you are right").

4) A particle used with the subjunctive: Go n-éirí an bóthar leat ("Have a safe trip", literally: "May your road succeed").

Many thanks Josquin!

I don't know if any of these concur with the Welsh usage. Maybe no. 1?

Well, some of the set phrases with "go" are used adverbially, so something like that does seem to be going on, although I don't think it's a general way of forming adverbs (although it may have been used like that in earlier forms of Welsh). The usual way to form an adverb from an adjective in the modern language is to prefix it with the particle "yn". So "da" = "good", and "yn dda" = "well". The "yn" causes a soft mutation in this situation for those letters which can SM (only 9 letters). However, I think Welsh can also use adjectives as adverbs without changing their form or adding anything to them (but I'm not totally sure of my ground here).

Yes, Irish has two sets of mutations: lenition and eclipsis. Basically, lenition turns stops into fricatives by softening them, while eclipsis turns unvoiced sounds into voiced ones. The first is indicated by an "h" that's added after the lenited consonant (Corcaigh --> go Chorcaigh), while the latter is indicated by writing the mutated consonant in front of its unmutated counterpart (fuil --> go bhfuil, ceol --> sa gceol). In this case, only the first consonant is pronounced, the second one only serves as some kind of "reminder".

However, there are also some so-called "prefixes" in Irish, e.g. words beginning with an "s" get a "t" prefixed after the definite article in some cases (masculine nouns: genitive, feminine nouns: nominative): an sagart ("the priest") --> an tsagairt ("of the priest"). In this case, only the "t" is pronounced, the "s" only serves as a reminder.

Also, an "n" is prefixed to words beginning with a vowel after a word causing eclipsis: éirigh ("to succeed") --> go n-éirí leat ("may you succeed"), and an "h" is prefixed to feminine nouns beginning with a vowel after the definitive article in the genitive: Éire ("Ireland") --> na hÉireann ("of Ireland").

Sometimes, a mutation is the only way to distinguish the meaning of a word: a charr (lenition: "his car"), a carr (no mutation: "her car"), a gcarr (eclipsis: "their car"); a athair (no mutation: "his father"), a hathair (h-prefix: "her father"), a n-athair (eclipsis: "their father").

Thanks again! That's looking quite complicated to me at the moment, and I need to get my head around it...

It think it's quite similar in Welsh, isn't it?

Well....I think prefixing in Welsh is more limited. The only one I can actually think of is "h", and I don't think it has any grammatical significance and is probably only there for easier pronunciation or because people thought it sounded better.

However, I can see a certain similarity with possessives, e.g. "his car" and "her car". "her car" = "ei char (hi)". "his car" = "ei gar (o/e)"
(the "hi" and "o" or "e" possessive suffix is often left out, in which case, it's only the "h" that tells you if it's "his" or "her").
Actually I forgot that "his" causes a soft mutation, so "car"->"gar", so that tells you also. A better example is "their car" = "eu car (nhw)".
"ei" and "eu" are pronounced the same (well, by most people I think), so if the "nhw" is left out, it is the absence of the "h" in "car" that tells you it's "their car" and not "her car".
(I actually need to brush up on my possessives, so better not say much more in case I mislead anyone!).

Another slight similarity: After the definite article ("y" for both genders, singular and plural), feminine nouns only take a soft mutation.
e.g. "cath" = "a cat" (fem). "y gath" = "the cat". "ci" = "a dog" (masc) "y ci" = "the dog".
(However in the unusual case of a preceding adjective (most adjectives follow the noun), nouns (beginning with those 9 letters) are soft-mutated regardless of gender:
e.g. "yr hen gi" = "the old dog".

From the example of "ei char" vs "ei gar" vs "eu car", it's tempting to think that mutations in Welsh are there for functional reasons and to help you with the meaning, and that may well have been their origin in older forms of the language that were highly inflected. (I think there was a discussion with Iversen about this on HTLAL, and I did find some academic papers talking about this sort of thing). And it maybe somewhat more true in the literary language, especially poetry. However, in the modern spoken language, I think mutations are just there because they are there; you learn them because the language requires them, and once you get used to them they don't particularly hinder you, but neither do they particularly help you.

An example might be: As well as feminine (singular) nouns taking SM (if they can) after the article, they also cause following adjectives to take SM (if they can - remember it's only 9 letters than can take SM). So it's not a bad idea to learn feminine nouns along with a mutatable adjective, and thus once you know it, you will also know that it's feminine. Great! But actually, will that help you at all? Well, not much.
Other than the pronunciation of following mutatable adjectives, and mutation of the noun itself (if it can) after the article, not much else follows from knowing its gender. So learn the noun and adjective together by all means, then you'll know how to pronounce that noun and adjective pair and to SM the singular noun with the article, but (as far as I know), it doesn't help you with anything else to do with that noun. (whereas in German, French, Spanish, etc., it's probably quite a useful piece of information!).

Again, this is probably something that was completely otherwise in Old Welsh, and genders may be slightly more relevant in literary Welsh (which I have not studied at all).

Soft-mutation is by far the most common sort of mutation in Welsh, and seems to be the only one applied consistently. As well as the above, the main reasons for SM are contact with certain prepositions, and (according to Gareth King who writes grammar books) when a word immediately follows the subject or notional subject of an inflected form of the verb (although his way of looking at this is disputed by some people, but it does simplify things). e.g. "mynd" = "to go". "wnes i fynd" = "I went" (literally: "I did go" - wnes is the 1st person preterite of the verb "to do". But "wnes i ddim mynd" = "I didn't go". It's "dim" (not) which has taken the SM here, and not "mynd" because "dim/ddim" followed "i", the subject.

There is also aspirate mutation: e.g. "Poenu" = "worry". "paid a phoenu" = "don't worry". The "a" has caused the AM.

And nasal: e.g. Cymru=Wales. "yng Nghymru" = "In Wales".
(I'm not very secure on my NM's though, and need to brush up!)

By the way, thanks also to Jeff and Galaxyrocker!
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”