Celtic Team - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Re: Celtic Team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Postby geoffw » Sun May 01, 2016 2:19 am

galaxyrocker wrote:I like the new speaker. She definitely is a native and does a lot of native pronunciation 'mistakes'.

Also, Geoff, can I ask what resources you're doing for the SC?

God will provide...

OK, seriously, though. I figure that TG4 should be good for the audio-video portion, and I don't really have a backup plan there (except that I'll no doubt shell out to watch some Hurling on gaago.rte.ie--don't try to talk to me about the league final tomorrow for a week just in case). Books are less obvious, however. Since I probably don't want to read Harry Potter a third time in Irish anytime soon, I'm counting that out. Beyond that, I have a bit over maybe 800 pages of novels in Irish that should keep me busy for a while, mostly translations from English, and some of them in Kindle format. I have about 10 more Kindle books in my Amazon wish list (Cré na Cille, anyone?), and by the time I get through all of the above, God willing some new awesome books will get published. I probably could find a bit more if I wanted to get things shipped from Litriocht/An Siopa Leabhar, too. Worst case, it's possible to re-read books for the challenge.
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun May 01, 2016 2:33 am

geoffw wrote:God will provide...

OK, seriously, though. I figure that TG4 should be good for the audio-video portion, and I don't really have a backup plan there (except that I'll no doubt shell out to watch some Hurling on gaago.rte.ie--don't try to talk to me about the league final tomorrow for a week just in case). Books are less obvious, however. Since I probably don't want to read Harry Potter a third time in Irish anytime soon, I'm counting that out. Beyond that, I have a bit over maybe 800 pages of novels in Irish that should keep me busy for a while, mostly translations from English, and some of them in Kindle format. I have about 10 more Kindle books in my Amazon wish list (Cré na Cille, anyone?), and by the time I get through all of the above, God willing some new awesome books will get published. I probably could find a bit more if I wanted to get things shipped from Litriocht/An Siopa Leabhar, too. Worst case, it's possible to re-read books for the challenge.

I feel you. I'm still debating doing it, but might try doing to personally, without actually signing up for the challenge. I agree with audio coming from TG4, especially now that subtitles can be turned off. Makes this part a lot easier than it used to be, in my opinion.

I don't blame you for not wanting to read Harry Potter, and it's good that you've shifted away. Looking at my stuff, I've got about the same amount of stuff to read, maybe a little more counting Scribd. I know I'm not ready for Cré na Cille yet, just because I won't be able to understand the majority of the allusions, but there's a lot of good stuff on Scribd. Unlike you, I'm not likely to read any translations, unless it comes from a language other than English.

If you want original Irish material, try An Litir. There's a Kindle version of it, and the second book in the series (trilogy only, maybe?) is published, with an ebook expected this year, at least when I asked on the Facebook page last year. It's by Liam Mac Cóill. Also, Mac Dhonnagáin has a new, good book out, Mise Raiftearaí: A Fíodóir Focloir.
0 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Sun May 01, 2016 3:16 am

galaxyrocker wrote:I know I'm not ready for Cré na Cille yet, just because I won't be able to understand the majority of the allusions, but there's a lot of good stuff on Scribd.

If you want original Irish material, try An Litir.

I can't imagine I'm that close to being ready for Cré na Cille, either, but I've got those other books to get through, first, at least. An Litir is on my list; thanks for the recommendations.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon May 30, 2016 10:09 pm

If someone hasn't seen it yet (I've written about it in my log), I've started learning Welsh. I had a look at the language back in 1994 - TY Welsh was one of the many books I bought when I was on holiday in Inverness, Scotland.

Now, almost 22 years later, I've become inspired to start over, thanks to the introduction to Welsh at the Polyglot Gathering. Among the resources mentioned was Say Something in Welsh (SsiW) - first level is free - and TY Welsh.

At the moment, I use Duolingo for Irish.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Beannachtaí as Corcaigh! Tá sé go hiontach anseo. Rachaimid go dtí an Ghaeltacht Chiarraí amarach. Slán go fóill!

(Greetings from Cork! It's wonderful here. We're going to the Kerry Gaeltacht tomorrow. See you soon!)
2 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:38 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:If someone hasn't seen it yet (I've written about it in my log), I've started learning Welsh. I had a look at the language back in 1994 - TY Welsh was one of the many books I bought when I was on holiday in Inverness, Scotland.

Now, almost 22 years later, I've become inspired to start over, thanks to the introduction to Welsh at the Polyglot Gathering. Among the resources mentioned was Say Something in Welsh (SsiW) - first level is free - and TY Welsh.

Da iawn! As you may know, I am a strong advocate of SSiW, and followed the original 3 "Courses", and then the (so far) 2 "Levels".
Although Aran, the founder, nowadays tends to downplay the original courses, I still think they are very worthwhile, and they have additional vocabulary "lessons" which the "Levels" don't yet have. The original courses were still there last time I checked, although Aran has threatened to make them either less visible, or perhaps completely invisible one day, so I should save a copy of them while you can.

Are you doing Northern or Southern?

It's probably worth joining the SSiW forum as well, if you have not already done so.

The internet player ("Clic") of the Welsh TV service, S4C is unfortunately geo-restricted. However, a small subset of programmes is internationally available:

http://www.s4c.cymru/en/international

Then there is Radio Cymru:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiocymru
which is not restricted (except for a small number of sporting fixtures, I believe).

Am I correct in thinking you are into folk music? There used to be a great programme ("Sesiwn Fach") on Sunday afternoons that I would have recommended, but sadly, it has recently come to an end. This might be the nearest equivalent:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07d37xc

p.s. Programmes are usually available for 28 days, but some are also available as podcast downloads. If you look at the schedule for last week, it's not quite representative, as it is dominated by the Urdd Eisteddfod (which is not the same as the main national Esiteddfod which is in July). It looks like it's getting back to more like normal next week.

Edit2: Gareth King's "Colloquial Welsh" book is very good, and you can get the audio from the Colloquial website. I was able to get an old and newer edition for not much money on Amazon marketplace.
4 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:50 pm

I'm also studying Welsh, almost entirely due to montmorency's raving reviews of SSiW. As Prof. Arguelles said once, some languages you should study just because the course is so good. Something along those lines. It was in reference to the Catalan Assimil course and perhaps it also applies to SSiW. I'm just about to the vocab section of level 2, just need to repeat lessons 24 and 25 once or twice more. I'm doing the Northern course (still) but i'm excited to get to the new lessons eventually. The Welsh Google Hangout chats were a lot of fun, are those still happening? Now i think i'm to the point where i could almost have an interesting conversation entirely in Welsh, at least Aran constantly tells me so at the end of every lesson :P

It's also a bit different finding Welsh speakers to practice with, since every Welsh speaker also speaks English and isn't interested in exchanging Welsh for English...
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:49 pm

crush wrote:I'm also studying Welsh, almost entirely due to montmorency's raving reviews of SSiW.

You might possible mean "rave reviews". On the other hand, you possibly might not... :-)
Well, I had to return the favour. It was you who introduced me to HTLAL, if you can remember that far back. (and to audiobooks, actually...).

As Prof. Arguelles said once, some languages you should study just because the course is so good. Something along those lines. It was in reference to the Catalan Assimil course and perhaps it also applies to SSiW. I'm just about to the vocab section of level 2, just need to repeat lessons 24 and 25 once or twice more. I'm doing the Northern course (still) but i'm excited to get to the new lessons eventually.

I'm very pleased you are still doing Welsh. I think you'll like the new levels. I think actually, people who've done the old courses can appreciate them better, in a way, although I don't think Aran would agree.

The Welsh Google Hangout chats were a lot of fun, are those still happening? Now i think i'm to the point where i could almost have an interesting conversation entirely in Welsh, at least Aran constantly tells me so at the end of every lesson :P

I like his positive approach! :-) Well that particular group moved to Skype as it seemed to be more reliable, although I had to drop out of it for various reasons. There was an international Skype group that met on Saturdays (5pm UK time, so that people on the West Coast of the USA could manage it reasonably conveniently), but I'm not sure if it's still running. I can check up and PM you details, if it's still going.

It's also a bit different finding Welsh speakers to practice with, since every Welsh speaker also speaks English and isn't interested in exchanging Welsh for English...

Absolutely, and even living in Wales doesn't guarantee you access to Welsh speakers, from what I gather. (It is probably even worse for Irish learners). I live in England, and not all that far from (South) Wales, but still far enough to deter casual visits, which might otherwise have helped. e.g. the new Language Centre in Cardiff at the Old Library sounds very good, and I think visitors to there can usually be guaranteed a chance to "siarad". And I'm told that the Welsh Assembly building (in Cardiff Bay) is a good place to go...it is specifically a public building and anyone can go in (maybe not to every part of it!) and there would be bound to be some people there who could speak Welsh. So even if Cardiff is not normally regarded as a Welsh speaking area, there are possibilities.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Thanks for the links, Montmorency! Diolch yn fawr!

I'm doing Northern (no preference, really; that's simply what I chose), and it's the old system with courses (of which I'm about to finish the first one this weekend, God willing).

I'm checking the forums now and then, but haven't joined (unless I have automatically by signing up for the course, who knows - the forum is invisible if I haven't logged on).

I am indeed into music, and somewhere (under my bed!) there's an old copy of a(n older) cassette with a Welsh band, whose name I can't remember). I'll have a look at your links.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:32 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:God willing

You using this made me remember how often a similar phrase is used in Irish. I'm talking about le cúnamh Dé (lit. with God's help), but it's often used in place of 'hopefully', though I do believe go dóchasach can be used.
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”