Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:50 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:I'm in Australia. I don't use a VPN. I get most of my French content from http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/. All of the French content there is French audio with English subtitles, no other option.

I also watch some things on Australian Netflix which when you find the occasional movie or series in French, you can often opt for French or English subtitles to go with the French audio. Also, some English speaking shows have French dubbed audio.

Some series I own on DVD have French options (audio dub and/or subtitles).

I often search Youtube for French documentaries on animals or the odd cartoon for my daughter to watch.

I've also bought the odd series in French through French iTunes- you need a French iTunes account.

Sometimes, but not all the time, French movies will have Closed Captions in French even if they have no subtitles. Your mileage may vary. :lol:
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:58 pm

rdearman wrote:You can also now download stuff to watch later on your tablet if you have the Netflix app, so it is seriously a super resource for language learners (especially French) and it is only between £5-£10 although your mileage may vary in other countries.
There is also a french TV/radio archive subscription service, INA.fr @ €2.99 a month. (I've never used it.)
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:01 pm

rdearman wrote:
Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Can I ask where people find movies and series in French? Is it possible to toggle the subtitles where you find them? Do you subscribe or do you pay for each thing you watch? I know it has probably been explained before, but my concentration isn't working today, I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for replying! :)

I have found Netflix to be very useful for this. In the UK there are dozens of TV series with French audio and subtitles. So it is easy to binge watch seven seasons of Star Trek NG with 23-26 45 minute episodes per season. So about 130 hours of TV in French if you want it. If you're a big treki then you could watch all the other series, Original, Enterprise, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and at some point in the not too distant future another Discovery.

But there are all the Marvel ones in French too. Cage, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, etc.

You can also now download stuff to watch later on your tablet if you have the Netflix app, so it is seriously a super resource for language learners (especially French) and it is only between £5-£10 although your mileage may vary in other countries.

Thanks for this. Just for the record USA Netflix does not offer the Star Trek franchises with French audio or offer French subtitles.
A quick check found Spiral with French audio but English subtitles. Perhaps there are more French programs. Disclaimer: I rarely use Netflix and its search engine leaves a lot to be desired, so maybe I just missed the Star Trek programs.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:33 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Thanks for this. Just for the record USA Netflix does not offer the Star Trek franchises with French audio or offer French subtitles.
A quick check found Spiral with French audio but English subtitles. Perhaps there are more French programs. Disclaimer: I rarely use Netflix and its search engine leaves a lot to be desired, so maybe I just missed the Star Trek programs.

There are no French subtitles for Spiral/Engrenages afaik, at all, anywhere. The best way to search Netflix is by using a 3rd party search site like UNOGS.com or instantwatcher.com. You can filter by audio or subtitle language that way (or both) to find things that might suit you.
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:08 am

Ani wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:Thanks for this. Just for the record USA Netflix does not offer the Star Trek franchises with French audio or offer French subtitles.

There are no French subtitles for Spiral/Engrenages afaik, at all, anywhere. The best way to search Netflix is by using a 3rd party search site like UNOGS.com or instantwatcher.com. You can filter by audio or subtitle language that way (or both) to find things that might suit you.
The french packaged DVDs appear to have french sub-titles, "Engrenages - Intégrale".
3 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:29 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Ani wrote:

The french packaged DVDs appear to have french sub-titles, "Engrenages - Intégrale".

Here's a question for you all: do you have to deal with region when playing DVD's from other countries? I know that for me to play foreign DVD's on my computer, I would have to permanently switch to that region's specifications, or something. :? Would Canadian DVD's be an issue for Americans?
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Xenops wrote:
DaveBee wrote:
Ani wrote:

Here's a question for you all: do you have to deal with region when playing DVD's from other countries? I know that for me to play foreign DVD's on my computer, I would have to permanently switch to that region's specifications, or something. :? Would Canadian DVD's be an issue for Americans?
The 'zone' is what you need to look out for in the small print. USA and Canada are both zone 1.

Whatiftheblog mentioned using a VPN. Perhaps that would be easier? I think you could then use the french TV stations' catch up services.
Sling just launched an online French television package I’ve been considering, but for the time being, I’m also paying $2.99 for the SurfEasy VPN app that lets me watch other interesting streaming or replayed TV shows / news reports / documentaries.

EDIT
If you visit TV5Monde's website, and scroll to the bottom of their homepage, the 'réception' link that may point you to other options. In Europe http://www.telefrance.co.uk is a new one to me.
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:22 pm

DaveBee wrote:
The 'zone' is what you need to look out for in the small print. USA and Canada are both zone 1.[/quote]

Try VLC to play other "zones." http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html, to quote the blurb on its website: "VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols."

It works on Windows, Apple platforms, Linux and a few others. It is free. Free to download, free to use forever.
It plays any DVD "zone" without glitches and without exacting penalties or requiring you to lie and without the user's needing to be technical in any way.
It does other things as well. I use it to convert MP4s to MP3s for listening only purposes.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:39 am

DaveBee wrote:
I just do a web search on the series/movie title, and then click the video tab. This usually means YouTube. You have the option of auto-generated sub-titles, but I usually just assume those will be wrong, and don't use that.

So far I've used mostly youtube when I've wanted to watch something, and I agree with you, those auto-generated subtitles just don't work. :lol:

DaveBee wrote:There is also a french TV/radio archive subscription service, INA.fr @ €2.99 a month. (I've never used it.)

I love INA, it's an impressive archive. I've never found any subtitle or transcript option on there though.

rdearman wrote:

I have found Netflix to be very useful for this. In the UK there are dozens of TV series with French audio and subtitles.

I've used Netflix a couple of times in the past for movies and series in English, but here something weird: the amount of movies or series with French audio or subtitle that I have found searching from Norway is less than 50, 2 or 3 of them are series and the rest of them movies. Ah well, you know you live in a small country when... :roll: . For Sweden I've found about 300 different titles. It's only an hour away by car, I'll try to find out if it's possible to get any of those the next time I cross the border (if it works like that at all. No idea).

The UNOGS.com site is great for searching though, thanks for the tip, Ani.

PeterMollenburg wrote:
I'm in Australia. I don't use a VPN. I get most of my French content from http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/. All of the French content there is French audio with English subtitles, no other option.

I've also bought the odd series in French through French iTunes- you need a French iTunes account.

I've yet to look at your suggestions, PeterMollenburg. I'm planning on doing it this weekend. Thanks for the tip though.
1 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Xenops wrote:
DaveBee wrote:
Ani wrote:

As an American with a British wife, who has also lived in India, I have DVDs from all over the place. Unfortunately there are few solutions to watching on a computer other than switching the region, which can only be done a few times. In my house I set my wife's laptop to play US discs and my laptop to play European discs.

However, many DVD players have simple fixes since the manufacturer makes the same player for different regions. The simplest fix is found on Philips DVD players: you just type a 4-number pin on the remote, and then type your region. You can even choose "0" for region free and play any disc.
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Study Groups”