Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Arnaud wrote:According to Wikipedia the "ragoût" is the general word and "daube" is a regional type of "ragoût" (provence or south of france): the sauce is made with wine.
Daube has a double meaning, so be careful when you use it...

Quel est le double sens de « daube » ?
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:54 pm

tomgosse wrote:
Arnaud wrote:According to Wikipedia the "ragoût" is the general word and "daube" is a regional type of "ragoût" (provence or south of france): the sauce is made with wine.
Daube has a double meaning, so be careful when you use it...

Quel est le double sens de « daube » ?

Answering my own question, « daube » means "crap"?
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Tom: that's correct. I first learned "daube" when I heard someone on the radio refer to a film as "une daube" or "de la daube." You can also use "un navet" (turnip) to refer to a bad film.

So a bad film is a turnip in French and a turkey in English. I wonder if other languages also have food metaphors for poorly executed art.

:lol:
5 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:53 am

Hey guys. I'm looking for some podcasts that range in the 10-20 minute range. No longer than that. It seems like most podcasts that I find range anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours long! but I want a nice short one. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not really picky about the topic. I'm just looking for something around the 15 minute mark so that I can fit the whole episode in during my break. Yes, I know that I could simply pause a longer episode, but I don't like starting and stopping things like that because it ruins my momentum.

Any recommendations are appreciated, thanks!
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:00 am

Fortheo wrote:Hey guys. I'm looking for some podcasts that range in the 10-20 minute range. No longer than that. It seems like most podcasts that I find range anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours long! but I want a nice short one. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not really picky about the topic. I'm just looking for something around the 15 minute mark so that I can fit the whole episode in during my break. Yes, I know that I could simply pause a longer episode, but I don't like starting and stopping things like that because it ruins my momentum.

Dimanche Politique from RFI is 20mins.
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:20 am

There are many podcasts with Pierre at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUhRSj8GgDM

I find him to be very helpful.
Last edited by Carmody on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

whatiftheblog
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (C2?), Spanish (~B1)

Postby whatiftheblog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:20 am

Fortheo wrote:Hey guys. I'm looking for some podcasts that range in the 10-20 minute range. No longer than that. It seems like most podcasts that I find range anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours long! but I want a nice short one. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not really picky about the topic. I'm just looking for something around the 15 minute mark so that I can fit the whole episode in during my break. Yes, I know that I could simply pause a longer episode, but I don't like starting and stopping things like that because it ruins my momentum.

Les enjeux internationaux by France Culture is 10 minutes long and it's pretty good - they invite an expert to talk about a specific issue facing a country or region. I like that they make the material engaging and accessible without dumbing it down; I have two degrees + 10 years of experience in international affairs and I still learn a lot from it.
6 x
Books completed: 5 / 20 5 / 20

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Fortheo

Would you please tell me how much of this interview you understand? 50%, 90%?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTjRNmBL3Qc

I personally found it too fast for me .

Thanks.
2 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks for the recommendations everyone :)

Carmody wrote:Fortheo

Would you please tell me how much of this interview you understand? 50%, 90%?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTjRNmBL3Qc

I personally found it too fast for me .

Thanks.

I'd say between 80 and 90 percent. The speed isn't a problem for me, actually it's slower than what I'm accustomed too, but the political and economical topics/vocab aren't my strong suit, so I had some issues with that.

In terms of speed, though, the shows that I watch dubbed in french are typically faster, but they deal with easier topics and concepts.
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:49 am

Fortheo wrote:I'd say between 80 and 90 percent. The speed isn't a problem for me, actually it's slower than what I'm accustomed too, but the political and economical topics/vocab aren't my strong suit, so I had some issues with that.

To be honest, the audio quality doesn't help at all, there is lots of echo, fading in and out. I usually listen to stuff with lots of background noise while walking on the street, documentaries with voice-over translation of foreign language speakers, that sort of thing and I don't have any problems with that. Here the audio quality was causing trouble though. I have no problems with political or economical topics, speed also wasn't a problem - same speed or slower than dubbed shows -, but I lost a word here and there to fuzzy audio and had to listen rather closely in general. I'd guess maybe around 97% just through audio-quality.
3 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Return to “Study Groups”