Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Tomás
Blue Belt
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).
x 558

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby Tomás » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:31 am

Carmody wrote:People might find this episode a good source for TV shows http://francaisavecpierre.com/apprendre-le-francais-avec-des-series-francaises/


Thanks, that's a good one. I didn't know about the Tintin cartoons, and now I have watched one.
1 x

Woodsei
White Belt
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:23 am
Location: United States
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)
x 71

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby Woodsei » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:37 am

tomgosse wrote:
Woodsei wrote:Hi Tomgosse, Everyone,

I'm getting back into languages, and will be taking up French. I was wondering if you are still open to accepting new members? I am a total beginner - did some French back in grade school, but that's just about it. I would appreciate all the support and team spirit, that's for sure!

I will be studying a little something everyday, as I am still in school and have a pretty long and tough grad career ahead of me. As such, my updates might be irregular, but they will be there. I will also follow others as much as possible.

Thanks! It's good to be back :)

Bienvenue! Welcome to the group. I've added your name to the group. Let me know when you start a log and I'll add a link to it.

Tom



Thank you! My log is here: http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1430&p=12346#p12346
I have not yet decided to change the title, but that is the link.

Is it okay to post in English if I need anything? I know the rules say French, but I am still a beginner. I will try my best to write in French, though.

Thank you again :)

EDIT: My posts will start with the second post on Page 2 of my log. I am not sure how to link to that, though.
2 x

User avatar
tomgosse
Blue Belt
Posts: 957
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:29 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Languages: English (Native)
French (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185
x 1659
Contact:

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:44 am

Woodsei wrote:
tomgosse wrote:
Woodsei wrote:Hi Tomgosse, Everyone,

I'm getting back into languages, and will be taking up French. I was wondering if you are still open to accepting new members? I am a total beginner - did some French back in grade school, but that's just about it. I would appreciate all the support and team spirit, that's for sure!

I will be studying a little something everyday, as I am still in school and have a pretty long and tough grad career ahead of me. As such, my updates might be irregular, but they will be there. I will also follow others as much as possible.

Thanks! It's good to be back :)

Bienvenue! Welcome to the group. I've added your name to the group. Let me know when you start a log and I'll add a link to it.

Tom



Thank you! My log is here: http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1430&p=12346#p12346
I have not yet decided to change the title, but that is the link.

Is it okay to post in English if I need anything? I know the rules say French, but I am still a beginner. I will try my best to write in French, though.

Thank you again :)

I've added the link to your post. Please feel free to post in either English or French. Most people post in English. If you post in French you may want to add a translation for beginners.

Bon courage,
Tom
4 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs
: 1 / 52 French In Action:

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:57 am
Languages: French (N), Russian (int)
x 951

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby Arnaud » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:46 am

Tomás wrote:
Carmody wrote:People might find this episode a good source for TV shows http://francaisavecpierre.com/apprendre-le-francais-avec-des-series-francaises/


Thanks, that's a good one. I didn't know about the Tintin cartoons, and now I have watched one.

A little note about Tintin: there were two series inspired from the "bande dessinée", one in the 70's by Belvision (the one you can easily find on YT) and one in the 90's by Ellipse (the one recommanded by Pierre in his video): the last one is difficult to find on YT as it's regularly deleted for copyright infrigement.
I put the generic, so you can recognise it easily:

2 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).
x 558

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby Tomás » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Arnaud wrote:
Tomás wrote:
Carmody wrote:People might find this episode a good source for TV shows http://francaisavecpierre.com/apprendre-le-francais-avec-des-series-francaises/


Thanks, that's a good one. I didn't know about the Tintin cartoons, and now I have watched one.

A little note about Tintin: there were two series inspired from the "bande dessinée", one in the 70's by Belvision (the one you can easily find on YT) and one in the 90's by Ellipse (the one recommanded by Pierre in his video): the last one is difficult to find on YT as it's regularly deleted for copyright infrigement.
I put the generic, so you can recognise it easily:



Thanks, I had not picked that up and it's good to know. But unfortunately if it's not on YT, I'm probably not going to watch it.
1 x

Elexi
Orange Belt
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:39 pm
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).
x 291

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby Elexi » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:11 pm

The Ellipse version of Tintin was long part of my listening routine. But I personally find the Belvision versions to have more charm. I also find the French somehow easier to follow - slower perhaps?
2 x

User avatar
tastyonions
Blue Belt
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, IT, DE
x 905

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby tastyonions » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Heh, I watched the 90s version (in English) when I was a kid. I had no idea that it was inspired by a bande dessinée, originally written in French, or anything like that. It was just a fun cartoon to me.
0 x

DaveBee
Green Belt
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: UK
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
x 311

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby DaveBee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Is there a difference between "ragoût" and "daube"? They both seem to translate as "stew".
1 x
FR films: 36 / 100, FR books: 14 / 100

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:57 am
Languages: French (N), Russian (int)
x 951

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby Arnaud » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:33 pm

According to Wikipedia the "ragoût" is the general word and "daube" is a regional type of "ragoût" (provence or south of france): the sauce is made with wine.
Daube has a double meaning, so be careful when you use it...
2 x

User avatar
tomgosse
Blue Belt
Posts: 957
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:29 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Languages: English (Native)
French (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185
x 1659
Contact:

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:41 pm

DaveBee wrote:Is there a difference between "ragoût" and "daube"? They both seem to translate as "stew".

According to Wikipedia,

Daube Is a classic Provençal stew made with inexpensive beef braised in wine, vegetables, garlic, and herbes de Provence, and traditionally cooked in a daubière, a braising pan.

Ragoût refers to a main-dish stew. Ragoûts may be prepared with or without meat, a wide variety of vegetables may be incorporated, and they may be more or less heavily spiced and seasoned.
2 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs
: 1 / 52 French In Action:


Return to “Study Groups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest