Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:09 pm

rlnv wrote:
tomgosse wrote:Je vous ai ajouté à la liste. :D

Merci !

wwiding wrote:....After contemplating my learning methods I added the Harry Potter books back to my daily regiment. Now that I've got the passive phase of Assimil, half of an active phase, and 11 lessons of French in Action under my belt the HP books are much more readable, although I still come across a lot of unknown words, phrases, and sometimes entire paragraphs.....

....With HP, I'm actually interested in the material and I really enjoy trying to puzzle out the sentence grammar/meaning. I also listen to the audio books to get a sense of the pronunciation.....

I read the first 3 HP books in 2015, some of my first non-graded books. I really enjoyed them. I started using an e-reader around that time, and really liked it for the ability to quickly do dictionary look-ups. A real time saver which helped me keep the flow of the books going while satisfying my need to lookup all or most unknown words. I'm not sure if you are using one, but it really helps.

Looking back, I recall really hating the narrator in the first two books due to the pace he read, and the voices he portrayed, along with the funny sounds. Or was it just the first book? I may not be recalling correctly, as it's been awhile and my my audio files are on an archive disk not accessible right now. The third book, the narration style changed a lot and it was much easier to understand, and certainly more enjoyable. Which in the series did you listen to?

I've just started reading HP. Thanks rlnv for the feedback on the narration. I have the audio for first 4 books, all 7 in iBooks digital format and Folio Junior versions in paperback. Does anyone know if the folio junior versions are edited in a way that makes the language easier (i.e. dumbed down)?

----------------------------------
DaveBee wrote:Can "On" replace "Vous"?

My understanding is that "on" can be used either as a third person "one" or to replace "nous".

In an interview with France 2, Marine le Pen said:
«Je sais que Madame Ernotte est une amie d'Emmanuel Macron. Vous avez passé trois reportages à charge contre le Front National et contre moi, moi j'aimerais savoir quand est-ce que France 2 va faire un reportage sur Monsieur Macron. Quand on a posé la question, on nous a répondu en souriant à France 2 : "Au mois de juillet"».
In "quand on a posé la question" the "on" seems to refer to France 2 "vous" or possibly "one" but in the second half of the sentence "on nous a répondu en sourient à France 2" the "on" must surely be used for France 2 "vous" rather than "one"?

I would call this one of the most common ways in French to render the construction passive.

On vous a donné six euros.
= You were given six euros

Thus, I believe the use of 'on' in your example is to prevent directly involving the person.

Quand on a posé la question, on nous a répondu en souriant à France 2.
= When the question was asked (we asked the question), we received a response/ we were answered while ('he was' = implied) smiling at France 2/ with a smile,

Arnaud wrote:Not really. Perhaps if i translate "on nous a répondu" by "we were answered", it's clearer? The "on" is someone from France2, we don't know exactly who.

Yes I agree, we're not meant to know, it's passive, deliberately elusive. I also do not see it as 'vous'.

tastyonions wrote:Yes, "on" refers to the particular individual that gave them that response, not to France 2 as a whole. "C'est ce qu'on nous a dit" = "that's what somebody (anonymous individual) told us." Or "that's what we were told."

I wouldn't call it a 'particular individual'. It's deliberately evasive as to who exactly is 'on'. Still I think you're saying exactly that in the your expansion.
-------------------------------------

Xenops wrote:I was looking at the Spanish DELE post, and I was wondering if we should have a similar challenge for the French DELE or DALF? I was thinking of Cavesa's thinking in particular:

Cavesa wrote:I am glad for this subgroup. It is not intended to channel majority of the activity away from the main group, just to keep a bit of order in the mess, since it is quite likely that the goals of DELE learners and non-DELE learners may be quite different and so would the topics of discussion.

Another very good reason for a separate DELE group: If we "sign up" publicly here, it will be much harder to back out, once the time for the real sign up comes :-)

So, I am definitely "signing up" here, DELE C1 in 2017, probably November. Should there really be a summer opportunity, I will consider it.

Lately I have been considering studying for a B1 level either this winter or a year from now.

Ani wrote:I would like to take a C2 exam at some point (Maybe next fall is reasonable? Idk)and I am slowly working on needed material to get there. I would love to talk to people studying for other exams.

I would probably need to fly out of state to take it though so it isn't as if i can pick some random date and find a exam. The stars would have to align to make it possible.

That is to say, if someone starts a group, I'd join

I'm sitting the B2 in 6 weeks and potentially a C-level exam at a later date. I'm in agreement let's start a French exam group (not necessarily limited to DELF/DALF as there are others)!
3 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:51 pm

People interested in French native resources may find this link useful:

http://francaisavecpierre.com/apprendre-francais-documentaires-chaines-youtube-radio/
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:48 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:-------------------------------------

Ani wrote:I would like to take a C2 exam at some point (Maybe next fall is reasonable? Idk)and I am slowly working on needed material to get there. I would love to talk to people studying for other exams.

I would probably need to fly out of state to take it though so it isn't as if i can pick some random date and find a exam. The stars would have to align to make it possible.

That is to say, if someone starts a group, I'd join

I'm sitting the B2 in 6 weeks and potentially a C-level exam at a later date. I'm in agreement let's start a French exam group (not necessarily limited to DELF/DALF as there are others)!

Alright, the next question: would it be a study group, or a language challenge group? ;) We have a choice of two different forums!
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Levims

Postby Levims » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:10 am

Can I join the group? I'm new in pretty much everything... even in the forum....
3 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 am

Levims wrote:Can I join the group? I'm new in pretty much everything... even in the forum....

Hello and welcome! I imagine you can join without issue. :mrgreen: Let us know if you have questions.
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:41 am

Levims wrote:Can I join the group? I'm new in pretty much everything... even in the forum....

Bonjour et bienvenue ! Of course you can join the group. :D If you start a log I'll add a link to it. We look forward to your progress.
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:55 am

Can I ask where people find movies and series in French? Is it possible to toggle the subtitles where you find them? Do you subscribe or do you pay for each thing you watch? I know it has probably been explained before, but my concentration isn't working today, I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for replying! :)
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Can I ask where people find movies and series in French? Is it possible to toggle the subtitles where you find them? Do you subscribe or do you pay for each thing you watch? I know it has probably been explained before, but my concentration isn't working today, I can't seem to find anything.

I just do a web search on the series/movie title, and then click the video tab. This usually means YouTube. You have the option of auto-generated sub-titles, but I usually just assume those will be wrong, and don't use that.

A film length series I like, all on YouTube, is Louis La Brocante (search YouTube by the episode title). A new one for me is La cœur a ses raisons, YouTube title of the first episode is: "Le cœur a ses raisons - saison 1, épisode 1: La mort de Doug"
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Can I ask where people find movies and series in French? Is it possible to toggle the subtitles where you find them? Do you subscribe or do you pay for each thing you watch? I know it has probably been explained before, but my concentration isn't working today, I can't seem to find anything.

I'm in Australia. I don't use a VPN. I get most of my French content from http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/. All of the French content there is French audio with English subtitles, no other option.

I also watch some things on Australian Netflix which when you find the occasional movie or series in French, you can often opt for French or English subtitles to go with the French audio. Also, some English speaking shows have French dubbed audio.

Some series I own on DVD have French options (audio dub and/or subtitles).

I often search Youtube for French documentaries on animals or the odd cartoon for my daughter to watch.

I've also bought the odd series in French through French iTunes- you need a French iTunes account.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:20 pm

I have found Netflix to be very useful for this. In the UK there are dozens of TV series with French audio and subtitles. So it is easy to binge watch seven seasons of Star Trek NG with 23-26 45 minute episodes per season. So about 130 hours of TV in French if you want it. If you're a big treki then you could watch all the other series, Original, Enterprise, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and at some point in the not too distant future another Discovery.

But there are all the Marvel ones in French too. Cage, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, etc.

You can also now download stuff to watch later on your tablet if you have the Netflix app, so it is seriously a super resource for language learners (especially French) and it is only between £5-£10 although your mileage may vary in other countries.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Study Groups”