Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby rlnv » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:18 am

tomgosse wrote:Je vous ai ajouté à la liste. :D

Merci !

wwiding wrote:....After contemplating my learning methods I added the Harry Potter books back to my daily regiment. Now that I've got the passive phase of Assimil, half of an active phase, and 11 lessons of French in Action under my belt the HP books are much more readable, although I still come across a lot of unknown words, phrases, and sometimes entire paragraphs.....

....With HP, I'm actually interested in the material and I really enjoy trying to puzzle out the sentence grammar/meaning. I also listen to the audio books to get a sense of the pronunciation.....

I read the first 3 HP books in 2015, some of my first non-graded books. I really enjoyed them. I started using an e-reader around that time, and really liked it for the ability to quickly do dictionary look-ups. A real time saver which helped me keep the flow of the books going while satisfying my need to lookup all or most unknown words. I'm not sure if you are using one, but it really helps.

Looking back, I recall really hating the narrator in the first two books due to the pace he read, and the voices he portrayed, along with the funny sounds. Or was it just the first book? I may not be recalling correctly, as it's been awhile and my my audio files are on an archive disk not accessible right now. The third book, the narration style changed a lot and it was much easier to understand, and certainly more enjoyable. Which in the series did you listen to?
1 x

wwiding
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2151

Postby wwiding » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:57 am

Tomás wrote:
Looks like a solid plan for advancing your receptive skills. For production skills I would guess that additional steps will be necessary, along with more grammar. (But I haven't gotten very far with production myself, so what do I know?)

Yeah production skills will take a little more work and other tactics. Since I don't have local access to native speakers I've decided to focus on reading, writing, and listening skills while developing my pronunciation/speaking skills a little slower.
1 x

wwiding
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2151

Postby wwiding » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:02 am

rlnv wrote:
I read the first 3 HP books in 2015, some of my first non-graded books. I really enjoyed them. I started using an e-reader around that time, and really liked it for the ability to quickly do dictionary look-ups. A real time saver which helped me keep the flow of the books going while satisfying my need to lookup all or most unknown words. I'm not sure if you are using one, but it really helps.

Looking back, I recall really hating the narrator in the first two books due to the pace he read, and the voices he portrayed, along with the funny sounds. Or was it just the first book? I may not be recalling correctly, as it's been awhile and my my audio files are on an archive disk not accessible right now. The third book, the narration style changed a lot and it was much easier to understand, and certainly more enjoyable. Which in the series did you listen to?

I'm listening to book 1 right now and you're right, the narrator does portray the voices in a weird way. He also speaks somewhat slowly throughout a lot of the book. I use a tablet, cell phone, and my pc to read the books, depending on where I'm at.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Can "On" replace "Vous"?

My understanding is that "on" can be used either as a third person "one" or to replace "nous".

In an interview with France 2, Marine le Pen said:
«Je sais que Madame Ernotte est une amie d'Emmanuel Macron. Vous avez passé trois reportages à charge contre le Front National et contre moi, moi j'aimerais savoir quand est-ce que France 2 va faire un reportage sur Monsieur Macron. Quand on a posé la question, on nous a répondu en souriant à France 2 : "Au mois de juillet"».
In "quand on a posé la question" the "on" seems to refer to France 2 "vous" or possibly "one" but in the second half of the sentence "on nous a répondu en sourient à France 2" the "on" must surely be used for France 2 "vous" rather than "one"?
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:49 pm

First "on" is FN, second is "F2". When we (the FN) asked the question, you (at France2) answered us that...
I'm writing from my phone, if it's not clear I'll expand tonight...
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Arnaud wrote:First "on" is FN, second is "F2". When we (the FN) asked the question, you (at France2) answered us that...
I'm writing from my phone, if it's not clear I'll expand tonight...
So "on" can replace "vous"?
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Not really. Perhaps if i translate "on nous a répondu" by "we were answered", it's clearer? The "on" is someone from France2, we don't know exactly who.
3 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Yes, "on" refers to the particular individual that gave them that response, not to France 2 as a whole. "C'est ce qu'on nous a dit" = "that's what somebody (anonymous individual) told us." Or "that's what we were told."
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:31 pm

I was looking at the Spanish DELE post, and I was wondering if we should have a similar challenge for the French DELE or DALF? I was thinking of Cavesa's thinking in particular:

Cavesa wrote:I am glad for this subgroup. It is not intended to channel majority of the activity away from the main group, just to keep a bit of order in the mess, since it is quite likely that the goals of DELE learners and non-DELE learners may be quite different and so would the topics of discussion.

Another very good reason for a separate DELE group: If we "sign up" publicly here, it will be much harder to back out, once the time for the real sign up comes :-)

So, I am definitely "signing up" here, DELE C1 in 2017, probably November. Should there really be a summer opportunity, I will consider it.

Lately I have been considering studying for a B1 level either this winter or a year from now.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:43 am

I would like to take a C2 exam at some point (Maybe next fall is reasonable? Idk)and I am slowly working on needed material to get there. I would love to talk to people studying for other exams.

I would probably need to fly out of state to take it though so it isn't as if i can pick some random date and find a exam. The stars would have to align to make it possible.

That is to say, if someone starts a group, I'd join
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Study Groups”