Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:51 pm

DaveBee wrote:I've just come across a YouTube channel with french subtitles. It's only four videos though :( (3 of them also have english subs).

It's called Confessions d'histoire: YouTube channel / website.
Confessions d’Histoire est une série de divertissement à vocation ludo-éducative sur l’Histoire de France et des grandes civilisations.

I just watched the episode "La Guerre des Gaules": 10:10 minutes long; some facts (but I did not do any fact checking), some humor; the French subtitles seemed 100% accurate to me. Thumbs up! Thanks, DaveBee.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Sat May 13, 2017 2:19 am

Bonjour à tous!

I'd like to join you in your endeavors. I haven't yet started a language log, and it's probably high time that I did, but I'll update this post with that once I've got something going. (Edit: Here it is.)

My goals and background: I am hoping to resuscitate my French and bring it roughly to C1 readiness by early 2018. I grew up in a francophone-influenced household and was raised by a mother with a Ph.D. in postmodern French literature (I think I knew what the Oulipo was before I'd ever heard of the Bloomsbury group, for example :lol: ). We lived in France when I was very young, and after we returned to the U.S., we'd go back to visit about once every two years until I was an adult. In school, I had six years of French instruction and felt pretty comfortable with it by the time I left high school.

I have been able to do just fine on vacations and short visits in the intervening two decades without falling back on English, and I can still read the newspaper just fine. But I did not actively practice or begin learning the language again until about two months ago. Eventually, I would really like to be able to say that French is a language in which I feel fully comfortable functioning, and in which I feel I can be the (French version of the) real me. In addition, I'd like to prepare myself for further studying and a career in Europe. While I will almost certainly not end up working in the French-speaking world, I feel like it would be a mark of politeness and respect toward my adopted continent if I could develop competence in at least three European languages. So, that's the longer-term goal.

Thank you for the excellent list of resources. I will plod on every day and inspire myself through what you have already accomplished!
Last edited by schlaraffenland on Sun May 14, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat May 13, 2017 4:13 am

Happy 100th page, les voyageurs! Well done!
5 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sat May 13, 2017 12:19 pm

smallwhite wrote:Happy 100th page, les voyageurs! Well done!

Merci. Une centaine de pages et un peu moins d'un millier de messages.
4 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Voxel
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English (I), Russian (?), Japanese (?)

Postby Voxel » Mon May 15, 2017 12:39 pm

LeCon wrote:Want to learn French numbers and the French alphabet, as well as tonnes of vocab ?

Ditch the courses and just watch this !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxhdWORGLi8

A couple of episodes and you'll be good to go.

For numbers you can use my software here.

Do you know what your pseudonym means in French?
1 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Mon May 15, 2017 1:19 pm

LeCon wrote:Want to learn French numbers and the French alphabet, as well as tonnes of vocab ?

Ditch the courses and just watch this !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxhdWORGLi8

A couple of episodes and you'll be good to go.

At a quick glance (and I can't have sound on right now), that looks like a French gameshow involving numbers. Your post would have been more helpful if you had explained what you were linking to and why! :P

However, I thank you for the suggestion and I think it's a great idea. Learning numbers in a natural context while watching a popular French show? Awesome.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon May 15, 2017 5:21 pm

A very, very basic question.

I have started writing a daily French diary to practice my active/writing skills but it raises a question. I have my computer keyboard set up so that when I want to enter French accents in a word, I can do so by typing a certain combination of keys: four keys to be exact. I am running a Windows PC and I believe this "French" keyboard is working the way it should but it does seem to be very laborious when writing my daily diary.

Questions:
1-Do people have a simpler way?
2-Do the French configure their keyboards differently so as to not make typing so laborious?

Please note, I don't think memorization of all the combinations for accents is practical. There are about 18 different accents and each would require a separate combination. Yes, I use a cheat sheet by my keyboard but I can't help but think people have figured out an easier way.
3 x

Voxel
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English (I), Russian (?), Japanese (?)

Postby Voxel » Mon May 15, 2017 5:56 pm

You can install Lexibar.

Or install a new area for your keyboard.

Go to Control Panel then Language and Area and add a new language keyboard configuration (French Azerty).
And now you can switch between English and French keyboard configurations. It's available with physical and on screen keyboard (Ctrl + U).
Switch in Windows language bar.
2 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon May 15, 2017 6:19 pm

You can buy little azerty stickers for your keyboard (I have russian letters glued to my azerty keyboard) and you switch between the two following the method described by Voxel. It's the more efficient. Constantly using a combination of keys is the less efficient.
The in-between is to select a qwerty canadian keyboard in Windows (international canadian, if I remember correctly), all the accents are grouped near the "Enter" key.
0 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon May 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Carmody wrote:A very, very basic question.

I have started writing a daily French diary to practice my active/writing skills but it raises a question. I have my computer keyboard set up so that when I want to enter French accents in a word, I can do so by typing a certain combination of keys: four keys to be exact. I am running a Windows PC and I believe this "French" keyboard is working the way it should but it does seem to be very laborious when writing my daily diary.

Questions:
1-Do people have a simpler way?
2-Do the French configure their keyboards differently so as to not make typing so laborious?

Please note, I don't think memorization of all the combinations for accents is practical. There are about 18 different accents and each would require a separate combination. Yes, I use a cheat sheet by my keyboard but I can't help but think people have figured out an easier way.

I use the US International keyboard. I find it the easiest way to type accents in French. The French use the AZERTY keyboard, and they dislike it.
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Return to “Study Groups”