The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu May 25, 2017 6:43 am

Nathan_Canada wrote:Will the presentations of our lovely members be available for those of us not able to make it? On youtube or elsewhere?

The presentations do get recorded, but it may take some time before they are on YouTube as the editing is done by volunteers. It took several months before last year's started to appear. Check the Polyglot Gathering on YouTube to see lectures from last year and earlier years.

druckfehler wrote:This is getting exciting! I'll bring some Korean books - do you think children's books are popular? I'd love to give those away, but I'd have to plan a trip to my family tomorrow to pick them up. So I'm wondering... I'd hate to take them all the way to Vienna, Bratislava and then home again ;)
Is a forum meetup planned with everyone who's attending? Or do I just attentively look at the name tags for clues? :)

I don't think you have to take the books home with you again. Last year there was a kind of shelf where we put them and people just took what they wanted. There was almost nothing left at the end except a couple of English language novels (which we weren't even supposed to bring). I imagine anything that is left after it is over just gets given to a used bookstore, but you know how polyglots are around books in foreign languages -- no one can resist them, and we'll take books in languages we aren't even studying just in case we happen to study it one day. Anyway, unless the book has your name on it, how will they even know it was yours?

We never managed to organize an official meetup last year, but we all found each other pretty quickly and we did hang out a lot during the meals, though we were rarely all there at one time. Maybe this year we could get together for a group picture at least and post it here afterwards, if everyone is OK with that.
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

This time I have solved the luggage problem: I never use check in luggage when I travel by air so there I'm limited to 5-10 kg of handluggage, depending on the airline. And that's how it will be on the way out. However I go back home from Bratislava by train so for once a couple of extra kg for books or magazines won't be a problem. Last year in Berlin I couldn't buy some tempting books from Buske because of the luggage limit. I don't know whether they will be present in Bratislava, but otherwise I'll just have to raid the bookstores.
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu May 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Do the speakers get paid?

And is this the gathering where there'll be cookies for Finnish?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Thu May 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Speakers will be invited to have dinner with the people who arranged the gathering, and they will in principle be exempt from paying the entrance fee. I write "in principle" because I so far have insisted on paying my fee like everybody else - but I do intend to participate in the eating event. If there are Finnish cookies they will probably be served at the 'bring your national delicacies' evening. If there aren't any Finnish cookies then you will have to settle for some other types of cookies.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu May 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Iversen wrote:Last year in Berlin I couldn't buy some tempting books from Buske because of the luggage limit.

Can you send books to yourself via mail or UPS (does UPS serve Europe?) or even by bus? Though maybe the freight rates are too high.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Thu May 25, 2017 8:01 pm

It would proably be expensive, and the Danish post company is lying in its deaththroes so it might forever to get the books to my home address. I prefer carrying as much as possible in my luggage.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri May 26, 2017 9:06 am

smallwhite wrote:Do the speakers get paid?

And is this the gathering where there'll be cookies for Finnish?

No, but we don't have to pay the same amount for the Gathering.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri May 26, 2017 9:25 am

I have Norwegian cookies for the food festival. I hope they don't all get crushed before I get there. I also have licorice boats as a backup.

I don't deserve Finnish cookies. I've forgotten everything already.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri May 26, 2017 9:32 am

Brun Ugle wrote:I have Norwegian cookies for the food festival. I hope they don't all get crushed before I get there. I also have licorice boats as a backup.

I don't deserve Finnish cookies. I've forgotten everything already.

Strangely my little experiment in subs2srs means I haven't forgotten everything. The problem is the things I have remembered are:
Brainiac 1.1
Brainiac 1.3
Wonderwoman
and
Searching... Searching...

This isn't a very useful combination however. :lol:
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Fri May 26, 2017 9:39 am

I was on my phone and didn't reference properly, but Brun Ugle knows I meant the cookies that Yuurei promised the cookie monsters Finnish learners, but nice to find out about the 'bring your national delicacies' evening, too.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “Travel and Culture”