The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Ok, I'll be attending!

I'm arriving Thursday evening and leaving Sunday evening.
Looking forward to meeting forum people!

Now, do I need to learn some Slovake?
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:29 pm

You don't need to - many people won't be able to speak Slovak - but it won't go amiss obviously. Although I don't think I'm learning Slovak either. I speak Czech though. Well, to a degree.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:35 pm

tarvos wrote:You don't need to - many people won't be able to speak Slovak - but it won't go amiss obviously. Although I don't think I'm learning Slovak either. I speak Czech though. Well, to a degree.

Oh, it was mostly tongue-in-cheek, Slovak isn't a target language for me and all I am thinking of doing is cramming a few basics.

Ďalší pivo prosím.
Kde je kníhkupectvo.
Moja bielizeň je čisté, sľubujem.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Je to skvělé!
Last edited by tarvos on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 am

I've decided not to bother learning Slovak because I'm not really capable of using languages unless I know them to a reasonably high level. The hardest parts of communication for me are exactly the things that people usually learn first -- things like greetings and parting phrases. I still have trouble with them even in Norwegian and English.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am

I have spent (wasted) so much time on music the last couple of months that I won't have time to add Slovak. With a bit of luck (and some hitherto missing strength of will) I may be able to find time to rebrush my Latin and some other Slavic languages and prepare my lecture about the mess known as the Germanic languages.
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:15 am

The price apparently increases by € 20 at the end of the month, so if you're planning to go and haven't registered yet, you might want to do that soon.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:45 am

The only Slovak that I did was to go and look for some A1 material in a bookstore when I was in London last weekend with family. Yeah. 62 pounds when the online book was in the 30€ range? I thought about it but recognised that this would just be ego studying. Slovak isn't really a target for me.

When I asked in the bookstore if the price was right, I was told, "We don't make any money off of that, we should be raising it." :shock: And that's a hard pass.

Maybe I'll look for it once there. I am looking at the material that was put up for the gathering challenge.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:24 am

zenmonkey wrote:The only Slovak that I did was to go and look for some A1 material in a bookstore when I was in London last weekend with family. Yeah. 62 pounds when the online book was in the 30€ range? I thought about it but recognised that this would just be ego studying. Slovak isn't really a target for me.

When I asked in the bookstore if the price was right, I was told, "We don't make any money off of that, we should be raising it." :shock: And that's a hard pass.

Maybe I'll look for it once there. I am looking at the material that was put up for the gathering challenge.

An interesting theory for a retail business. In the company I work for, we'd have made it half price, given you a 10% discount just for asking about it to get it off the shelves and replace it with something which does sell. Or more likely knowing my operations director, he'd have thrown it in the bin, wrote off the cost and put up a best seller in it's place. :)
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:07 am

rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:The only Slovak that I did was to go and look for some A1 material in a bookstore when I was in London last weekend with family. Yeah. 62 pounds when the online book was in the 30€ range? I thought about it but recognised that this would just be ego studying. Slovak isn't really a target for me.

An interesting theory for a retail business. In the company I work for, we'd have made it half price, given you a 10% discount just for asking about it to get it off the shelves and replace it with something which does sell. Or more likely knowing my operations director, he'd have thrown it in the bin, wrote off the cost and put up a best seller in it's place. :)

Foyles doesn't really have a shelf space issue - and all the Slovak material was in the most remote place ever - lower shelf back of store at the very end of the language section - crushed by the Russian stuff. Not really the place for best sellers. These sections tend to work more on "a little of everything" strategy. Still, her comment didn't make me want to buy it. Bye, Slovak.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”